CLASS PROJECT: Terminology

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Backing the shaft up... if I could finally understand this one, my 2012 will be complete. :rolleyes:

Backing the shaft up. The act of fitting in the clubhead to strike the ball in a manner that steepens the shaft, opens the face and shallows the hit. Usually done when a golfer misses the vertical component of the first stage of the downswing and has to recover.

Backing the shaft up. The act of fitting in the clubhead to strike the ball in a manner that steepens the shaft, opens the face and shallows the hit. Usually done when a golfer misses the vertical component of the first stage of the downswing and has to recover.

Muchas gracias. Seen from down the line, right?

Twist away
Shake the Sugar
Sit in the chair
Manzella nuetral grip
Wedding ring up
Yellow brick road
D Plane
Axis tilt
Pitch elbow
Punch elbow

art

New
Twist away
Shake the Sugar
Sit in the chair
Manzella nuetral grip
Wedding ring up
Yellow brick road
D Plane
Axis tilt
Pitch elbow
Punch elbow

Reviewing recent posts, I can add:

Handle dragging
Flipping
Negative alpha
Laying off
Tumble
Tugging
Anti tug
Carry, from top
Counter-fall
Up tug
Jump

And just the observation(s) that (1), there are IMO, way too many for even just describing some activity, and (2), many of these INFER the need to 'control', rather than just assess, after the fact, and (3), many will be residual in the golfers mind during the swing, rather than a single focus, or better yet, a SINGLE result-based thought/image.

A recent post on a simple test of reactions clearly showed an average total time of almost the duration of the downswing, with the EYES as the trigger, and only a FINGER to execute; a significant difference than controlling major body parts during the transition or downswing.

Sincerely,
art

hp12c

New

Im not being a smart ass ok Kevin can u post a some pics, or something were I can get a visual of the act happening.

Nah. Scientific people should use scientific terms, not that garbage.

Cheers
Is feeling like you are making a two handed side armed basket ball throw on the downswing, or swinging on an imaginary plane of glass that extends from the ball and rests on your shoulders scientific?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I don't know how to post pics of this. If you have the room, it's ideal that the clubhead swings outward and around the the ball. And that should happen near the bottom of the swing. If you go out and around at the top, you missed the ideal delivery into the ball and have to "back the shaft up" and fit it into impact vertically.

Think down and around = good
Around then down = bad

Let's aim for one glossary....but with two lists...one is for the Manzellisms and analogies more easily comprehendable terms (at lest for the layman)...and the other can be for explaining the same principle in scientific terms for the propeller heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.