10 question examination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you wanted to get baseline test results of the golfing publics knowledge of key golf topics... what questions would you ask?

I mean specifically to make sure that they understood the crucial fact ( rather than illusions ) that will improve their understanding of swing, club design and whatever... what are the things that people misunderstand and yet are crucial... the thing s the golf magazines never teach?

My starters are:-

Real ball flight laws... the recent thread was great!
Inside aft quadrant
The difference between impact and separation
clubface movement through impact

Anything by Tom Wishon ( he speaks sense in an advertising world of BullSh£t)
eg. 43.5-44 inch shafts on drivers
MOI stuff too

any other things that people always get wrong and yet should be getting right?

I would like to see research on how hard and exactly when different pros pull on the club in the downswing. Or maybe I should say the arms not the club.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
10 Questions.

1. If Iron Byron is set-up to hit a straight ball, what one thing you could change, would cause the ball to slice?

2. If the clubface stays "square to the path" where does the face need to be at impact for a straight shot?

3. Where on the golf ball would the club contact for a straight ball?

4. If the clubface squares up at or befor low point, which direction is the clubhead moving in at impact?

5. When does the lie angle of the club have to be "flat to the ground" for the ball to fly straight?

6. If the golf club swings through the ball on the plane angle of the lie of the club, how long does the club swing "down the line"?

7. If the path (or plane line if you wish) is 4° to the right and the face of the club is 2° closed (pointing to the left), which direction does the ball start in?

8. All things being equal, shallowing the swing plane through impact will produce what result?

9. In the most efficient swing possible, would the hips continue to move at a continuous or increasing speed through impact?

10. Why do shafts bend more forward on offset golf clubs?

1. If Iron Byron is set-up to hit a straight ball, what one thing you could change would cause a slice?

OPEN CLUBFACE oR IS THIS A TRICK QUESTION. iRON BYRON CAN'T TECHNICALLY SLICE BECAUSE IT NEVER HITS OUT-TO-IN

2. If the clubface stays "square to the path" where does the face need to be at impact for a straight shot?

SQUARE (OR 1.8* OPEN IF YOU ARE GOING TO BE PICKY...:))

SLIGHTLY INSIDE BACK CENTER

4. If the clubface squares up at or befor low point, which direction is the clubhead moving in at impact?

INSIDE - OR IS THIS A TRICK QUESTION? ALONG THE SWING PLANE

5. When does the lie angle of the club have to be "flat to the ground"?

tRICK QUESTION -NEVER

6. If the golf club swings through the ball on the plane angle of the lie of the club, how long does the club swing "down the line"?

JUST AT THE BALL (OR BOTTOM OF SWING ARC)

7. If the path (or plane line if you wish) is 4° to the right and the face of the club is 2° closed (pointing to the left), which direction does the ball start in?

2.2 DEGREES RIGHT OF TARGET

8. All things being equal, shallowing the swing plane through impact will produce what result?

LOW SHOTS

9. In the most efficient swing possible, would the hips continue to move at a continuous or increasing speed through impact?

LEFT HIP IS NEARLY STATIONARY, RIGHT HIP CONTINUES DRIVING AROUND

MOI IS DIFFERENT

Last edited:
Answers?

1. raise the "hands" of Iron Byron
8. shots will start left of where they were starting
9. continuous
10. COG of clubhead has to travel further to line up with the shaft.

Jim S.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
1. open clubface
2. slightly open
3. inside aft quadrant
4. to the right
5. just past impact
6. impact or low point
7. left
8. lower trajectory
9. increasing
10. sweetspot lag is different

Now I actually understand this question, it is 1.7* left of the target line....

Brian Manzella

Administrator

Now I actually understand this question, it is 1.7* left of the target line....

85% now....keep trying!

1. If Iron Byron is set-up to hit a straight ball, what one thing you could change, would cause the ball to slice?

1. open the clubface
2. slightly open (a few degrees)
3. inside-aft quadrant
4. down/out
5. EDITED (since Brian edited his Q) clubhead correct lie angle at SEPARATION
6. impact or low point
7. LEFT!! (garrrr!!!)
8. lower trajectory, less spin
9. increasing
10. (oh boy...tough one) clubhead is further BEHIND the hands at impact....i.e. allows you to have hands further AHEAD at impact...more forward shaft lean....(a little foggy on this one right now)....

Last edited:
Brian,
This quaestion I don't fully understand (the wording of)..

The lie angle is the angle of the shaft to clubhead..
As such it is just an angle and doesn't "sit" anywhere so the answer is Never..
Now if you meant, when does the sole have to be flat to the ground, that is a different matter....

I probably have different hip action to you boys. I am a slide-turner
Slide with little turn to impact then drive my right butt around to chase my hands..I have a toe drag at the finish
So my answer is: right hip is probably accelerating. Left hip just rotates slightly left wards after being posted on top of left femur bone

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Brian,
This quaestion I don't fully understand (the wording of)..

The lie angle is the angle of the shaft to clubhead..
As such it is just an angle and doesn't "sit" anywhere so the answer is Never..
Now if you meant, when does the sole have to be flat to the ground, that is a different matter....

5. When does the lie angle of the club have to be "flat to the ground" for the Ball to go straight?

5. When does the lie angle of the club have to be "flat to the ground" for the Ball to go straight?

Sorry Brian, that word "angle" is getting to me, and it's 3.00 am over here ..:)..
If you mean, when does the lie of the club have to be flat to the ground for the ball to go straight, then the answer is always, otherwise toe digging in = slice, heel digging in = hook.....

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Sorry Brian, that word "angle" is getting to me, and it's 3.00 am over here ..:)..
If you mean, when does the lie of the club have to be flat to the ground for the ball to go straight, then the answer is always, otherwise toe digging in = slice, heel digging in = hook.....

Geez....

When in the SWING does the lie of the club have to be flat to the ground for the ball to go straight???

Status
Not open for further replies.