A couple of Trackman questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
From a "normal" lie on the fairway is it possible to hit a "reasonably" solid shot with a level or even positive angle of attack?

If you've got the ball teed up to hit with a driver, what negative angle of attack would you need to take a divot? Not that you would want to, of course.

Thanks for any help

From a "normal" lie on the fairway is it possible to hit a "reasonably" solid shot with a level or even positive angle of attack?
i would say yes for level AoA, no for positive AoA
If you've got the ball teed up to hit with a driver, what negative angle of attack would you need to take a divot? Not that you would want to, of course.
Thanks for any help
i would think it would depend on the tee height. at a low tee height (like 3 wood height) i bet you could do it with a 8 degree or more negative AoA. a "normal" tee height, i think it would be a lot more!

I think a "level" AoA would probably produce a laughably high shot, unless there was a TON of forward lean going on. I think a positive AoA could only produce a pretty thin shot, at best...

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It is very possible. there is no question some ground would be contacted before, but not a fat hit. You have to be under the ball to reach the sweetspot but the shot is very high and the player has trouble with everything youd imagine. But....Ive seen some very low handicap players have a positive AoA on their irons believe it or not. Not many, but some.

natep

New
I think I might do this. I often start brushing the grass several inches before impact and sort of sweep the ball off the turf with no divot, just a brush-like mark on the grass.

Kevin echoed my comments. When I was on Trackman I had a few shots with a 6-iron that were close to level (around -0.7*). Most of my shots had a AoA of -2.5* to -3* with the 6-iron. But those shots close to level were not that high for the most part and at the time I didn't have a ton of shaft lean either.

Fuzion Golf did a video with Big Break's Blair O'Neal and here 7-irons were on Trackman and almost close to level and I don't think she hits it crazy high either.

3JACK

natep

New
This is apparent mainly when I play in the mornings when the dew is still on the ground. I'll hit an iron shot from the fairway and not really take a divot, but there is a 12" or so brush mark on the ground.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin echoed my comments. When I was on Trackman I had a few shots with a 6-iron that were close to level (around -0.7*). Most of my shots had a AoA of -2.5* to -3* with the 6-iron. But those shots close to level were not that high for the most part and at the time I didn't have a ton of shaft lean either.

Fuzion Golf did a video with Big Break's Blair O'Neal and here 7-irons were on Trackman and almost close to level and I don't think she hits it crazy high either.

3JACK

I'll volunteer to do a Fuzion video with Blair O'Neal.

I see, but what was her clubhead speed like? Would it be the same for a PGA Tour player that swings a 7i at 90mph?

Nevermind, I'm finding myself playing devil's advocate here even though I don't really believe myself...

:)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
No, you're right. the low speed and slightly thin contact will make it go low. the players I'm talking about are like FWWWWoooom through impact with a massve flip. they get the job done but the flight is nothing you'd aspire to have. Silly high.

Jwat

New

3JACK

I can absolutley vouch that a level AoA produces crazy high shots. Had at least 5 sessions on Trackman this year and some last year with Manzella. My swing speed with a 6 iron is around 92mph. And my AoA was always -0.5 or closer to 0.0. I hit the ball higher with my 4 iron than most people do with their PW. Oh and I also have a consistant flip at impact.

I believe Kevin is right on this one.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I can absolutley vouch that a level AoA produces crazy high shots. Had at least 5 sessions on Trackman this year and some last year with Manzella. My swing speed with a 6 iron is around 92mph. And my AoA was always -0.5 or closer to 0.0. I hit the ball higher with my 4 iron than most people do with their PW. Oh and I also have a consistant flip at impact.

I believe Kevin is right on this one.

I know what you are trying to convey BUT a well struck 3/4 iron SHOULD go higher than a PW at its peak flight due to the amount of ball speed / spin generated.

This is why hybrids were invented because most people didn't have the swing speed and/or ability to hit the 3/4 properly.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I know what you are trying to convey BUT a well struck 3/4 iron SHOULD go higher than a PW at its peak flight due to the amount of ball speed / spin generated.

This is why hybrids were invented because most people didn't have the swing speed and/or ability to hit the 3/4 properly.

All clubs apex at the same height.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Just in case you didn't know....

Two shots:

One with a dynamic loft of 20°, 0° path, 0° face, and a 0° level strike...

...the other with a dynamic loft of 20°, 0° path, 0° face, and a 5° downward strike.

Which goes lower????

The downward one....

The D-Plane strikes again....:D

Two shots:

One with a dynamic loft of 20°, 0° path, 0° face, and a 0° level strike...

...the other with a dynamic loft of 20°, 0° path, 0° face, and a 5° downward strike.

Which goes lower????

The downward one....

The D-Plane strikes again....:D

With the same swing speed, is there a difference in carry distance? Intuition says the lower one doesn't carry as far.

dlam

New
I don't have access to flightscope or trackman, our local golf store had driver testing and had the basics spin rates, launch angle and ball speed
I was using a driver and the loft was 10.5 degrees. Most drives had a launch of 13 degrees. Can I extrapolate the angle of attack as 2.5+ degrees.
Or this too simple?

Status
Not open for further replies.