A plan for lowering mine and my fathers scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Range finders and GPS gizmos are good. I would think it should make the average player a little more decisive, but that's just me. Personally I know I like them.

Birly, I may have been imprecise with my equipment description. I should have said that I one range finder and a spare one in the bag. I only use one. Essentially you believe that GPS and Range Finders slow down play. So let me offer this up and have you refute it.

Why would you think that courses elect to buy or lease those GPS systems that are attached to carts and paid for by the course? They must believe that they speed up play and consequently yield more rounds per year and make a customer benefit that encourages return visits. Follow the money. Hard to argue with this, but I'm sure you will.

I wouldn't argue with that at all. I think you've misunderstood what I've been saying. I've already stated how I think a GPS or laser could speed play up.

But I do think that the root cause of most slow play is information overload. Multiple reads, multiple practice swings to try and ingrain multiple tips, pacing off wedge shots. And now multiple data points to try and factor in to shot choice before that routine even starts.

There's no need to take this personally. Like anything else, some folks will use it and not abuse it. But I think the general tendency will be to slow play down rather than speed it up.

A better remedy would be proper marshalling of the course. But then rangefinders in carts are probably cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.