Almost...almost just threw the driver into the woods and walked off...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hell, you take off the grip and the old tape. Measure the length you want the driver at. Wrap some masking tape where you want to trim the driver down to. Get a hacksaw and trim it down, put a new grip on.

That costs all of the price for the hacksaw (about $5), masking tape, and a new grip. That will save you roughly $288 to $488 or so :D

3JACK

Erik_K

New
Hahah - thanks Richie! I had that idea in mind too. I can probably swing some shorter shafted drivers just for the hell of it. I suppose, by definition, a shorter shaft may help me bend over a bit more from the waist (?).

Hahah - thanks Richie! I had that idea in mind too. I can probably swing some shorter shafted drivers just for the hell of it. I suppose, by definition, a shorter shaft may help me bend over a bit more from the waist (?).

Yeah, it's pretty easy. Just with graphite, you need to remember to wrap the tape around where you are cutting so the shaft won't splinter. I've never had one splinter yet when I do that.

I'm starting to get into that stuff and I find not only does it save a lot of money, but I better understand what I prefer and what works better for me. I have a couple of 'test clubs' that I will tinker around with.

For instance, I use an air compressor to install grips. I've found that I like 4 wraps under my left hand (0 wraps under the right hand) on the irons and 6 wraps under my left hand with the woods and hybrid (0 wraps under my right hand). I've also found what shaft length I like and shaft profiles suit me best.

That's what guys like Hogan and Nicklaus used to do. Experiment enough with this stuff and come up with something they like the best instead of having to go to a clubfitter every time and being told what they think is the best for you. I think a good clubfitter can be very helpful, but I think for optimal fitting you need to experiment a little by yourself.

3JACK

Erik_K

New
I don't know if he's around anymore, but Ricky Strain had a similar mentality that you have. He was an engineer turned clubfitter who actually did his own tests but kept records of what his students liked (or disliked). As a result you had a very informed opinion backed by some combination of test experience and customer feedback. Down the line I'd like to tinker with grips and shaft lengths/types. You don't many specialized tools for this stuff.

Erik

Hell, you take off the grip and the old tape. Measure the length you want the driver at. Wrap some masking tape where you want to trim the driver down to. Get a hacksaw and trim it down, put a new grip on.

That costs all of the price for the hacksaw (about $5), masking tape, and a new grip. That will save you roughly $288 to $488 or so :D

3JACK

Richie,

How does trimming the butt end of the shaft affect the feel/performance characteristics of the driver? Do you just cut the end off, slap a grip on and go play or are there any other adjustments that need to be made?

Good question SL... here is something I was wondering, as I am contemplating doing this very thing. I was thinking about going to a 44.5" driver, but here is my dilemma. I am right on the cusp between a stiff / regular flex in my current driver, but play better with stiff because I have a very short, but fairly powerful ( about 95 mph? ) swing with a quick transition. If I cut off an 1 - 1-1/2", would I be better off going to a regular flex if I want to hit the same model driver?? I am afraid cutting off an 1 - 1-1/2" would possibly make the club too stiff for me?

Last edited:
Good question SL... here is something I was wondering, as I am contemplating doing this very thing. I was thinking about going to a 44.5" driver, but here is my dilemma. I am right on the cusp between a stiff / regular flex in my current driver, but play better with stiff because I have a very short, but fairly powerful ( about 95 mph? ) swing with a quick transition. If I cut off an 1 - 1-1/2", would I be better of going to a regular flex if I want to hit the same model driver?? I am afraid cutting off an 1 - 1-1/2" would possibly make the club too stiff for me?

I'm interested in the same thing. When I get a new driver I'd like to maybe go shorter.

I personally haven't found anything that noticeable as long as I'm trimming from the butt end. Trim from the tip end is a completely different story. You can trim 1/2 an inch from the tip and it will change the flex. From the butt end, it takes a lot more trimming to make a noticeable flex change.

3JACK

So I broke the shaft of my Ping Rapture Driver about 2 months ago after slamming it on the ground. Got fitted, and ordered the Titleist 910. This driver has a weight port which they use to vary the swingweight according to shaft length. I have mentioned seeing the Titleist rep and getting fitted for 3 wood and hybrid. He suggested shortening my Driver to 44.5.

I used to build clubs back the early 80's when Maltby go going. I still have all the tools. So when I ordered the 3 wood and hybrid, I also ordered the weight kit. Like Richie says, it's simple. Measure, tape, cut, and re-grip. Bringing the swingweight back up is either a heavier weight in the case of my 910 and similar designs, or lead tape on the sole, or have a shop add weight inside the head or in the tip of the shaft.

When Richie reported on products from the show, he mentioned PURE grips. I have changed to these grips. My previous attempt at blowing on grips failed because the grips would twist on the shaft over time. These do not twist. It is much, much easier to pop grip on. Go hit it. Pop it off add some wraps, pop it back on, etc. etc.

Does my shorter Driver feel different? Not much. Does it feel different than the Ping at 45 3/4? Yes, very apparent.

When Richie reported on products from the show, he mentioned PURE grips. I have changed to these grips. My previous attempt at blowing on grips failed because the grips would twist on the shaft over time. These do not twist. It is much, much easier to pop grip on. Go hit it. Pop it off add some wraps, pop it back on, etc. etc.

Pure Grips...I've got the green ones, but I prefer the yellow ones more. I do think the Air Compressor, which I got the household one for $85 on sale, is a good investment for a golfer who changes grips quite a bit. I've only had 1 problem and that was with a set of Golf Pride Tour Wraps that kept twisting. I'm guessing there was an air bubble or something because I just kept twisting it around and eventually they stopped twisting. The Pure Grips are the easiest top put on with air. I tried an IOMIC grip. It worked, but it wasn't easy because it was difficult to just get on. Lamkin Crossline Cords were easy to slip on once you got it on....that was the difficult part. Golf Pride Tour wraps are a cinch.

I took an Adams 9015D driver head, took the 46 inch stock shaft off. Installed a Harrison Saga 60X shaft, cut that to 44.75", installed and it measured to a D1.5 swingweight. You can work around the loss swingweight by adding a hosel weight, lead tape or some other things to the clubhead.

3JACK

Status
Not open for further replies.