Anyone here played Pinehurst?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read some reviews that say it's just so-so. I've read reviews for Pine Needles that say it is fantastic. Any info appreciated.

Kevin

Pinehurst #2 was really good in it's prior form....haven't played it since the redo....

The sister course at Pine Needles is great too! Mid Pines....also for a cheaper alternative check out the Elks Club.

I've read some reviews that say it's just so-so. I've read reviews for Pine Needles that say it is fantastic. Any info appreciated.

Kevin

Pine Needles is very very good. They have good deals ( I've heard) right now as well. Shorter course but still has teeth and s usually has good speed to the greens.

Nothing can touch #2 BTW

Played it probably 25 times. Every time got better. The redo is fantastic, better than its ever been. People who don't appreciate #2 haven't a clue about golf course architecture.

#2 is awesome, but I have not seen it since the redo, Pine Needles is very good, the CC of NC is really really good

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Well, just being honest, I felt # 2 is totally over rated and I've played everywhere. Totally forgettable and I've played it 5 times. It's all relative, though. I still enjoyed myself but compared to what I expected...major disappointment.

Last edited:
Well, just being honest, I felt # 2 is totally over rated and I've played everywhere. Totally forgettable and I've played it 5 times. It's all relative, though. I still enjoyed myself but compared to what I expected...major disappointment.

That's what Jason Gore said:rolleyes:

Yeah, but you also like the Stadium at Sawgrass so...:)

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Yeah, but you also like the Stadium at Sawgrass so...:)

True, but not sure more than #2. I was just adding another opinion that I feel it isn't what it's cracked up to be. If you like an historic walk along a non descript course that you may not remember three holes a week after you leave, it's awesome.

I think some courses blow you away, lets say Pine Valley, Cypress Point. When I played them I couldn't believe it. They are not even in #2s class, IMHO. #2 is a lot like Augusta. Second shot strategy, large fairways that are not large, thinking instead of bombing...But if you havent seen what Coore and Crenshaw did, you won't believe it. The only thing the same is where you are. And they hardly touched the fairways!

Crenshaw courses are about my favorite, Talking Stick North here in Phx is completely enjoyable, tough, yet fair.

True, but not sure more than #2. I was just adding another opinion that I feel it isn't what it's cracked up to be. If you like an historic walk along a non descript course that you may not remember three holes a week after you leave, it's awesome.
Classic, Kev! When you're done playing, you should become a tour guide:
"...And if you look out on your left, those big, orange triangle things are the Great Pyramids of Giza...Worth a look, I guess, but if you don't wanna get sand in your shoes..."
Hilarious stuff...:D

C&C gave it more of a blow-you-away look, by removing 35 areas of grass. #2 never recovered from the Diamonhead Corp in the 70s who tried to "green" it. The big thing is C&C got rid of wall to wall irrigation. Single row is what #2 is about. Soften those fairways and you have nothing and then put "rough" (even if the ball does reach it), crazy. Firm fast fairways that run into hardpan, wire grass and sand, thats #2. I was glad to see C&C get this course because it will show everyone what great design is. Hogan called it one of the fairest tests of golf in the world.

If by fair you mean, that if you hit it 15 feet you get a 15 foot birdie putt, and if you hit it 25 feet your ball kicks off the side of the green and runs another 50 feet away. No wonder Hogan liked it.

If by fair you mean, that if you hit it 15 feet you get a 15 foot birdie putt, and if you hit it 25 feet your ball kicks off the side of the green and runs another 50 feet away. No wonder Hogan liked it.

So did Nick Price, Jack Nicklaus, Arnold Palmer...If you want 60 yard fairways and flat greens you play Palm Springs not #2.

Donald Ross didn't design those greens to be 14 on the Stimpmeter. I'm sure they were a lot slower when Hogan played them.

you are correct my friend he designed SAND greens. They stayed that way until the mid 30s when heat resistant grasses were developed. He also designed the course at 5800 yards with NO irrigation. Which is why bunkers were found 30 yards in front of greens...But Green speed is not a design flaw, it is a management flaw, usually driven by money decisions such as Diamonhead Corp did in the 70s when a watered down, all grassed #2 allowed Hale Irwin to shoot 24 under par in the old World Open. But Donald Roos is dead and times have changed I get it. But his genius, my original point, was in the design. Many great players rate a course for shot values, playablity, variety, continuity etc. On all those fronts, when #2 is set up correctly, it is great.

Status
Not open for further replies.