Are they basically all the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ever seen someone who could not physically do the Twistaway because of certain wrist conditions? Specifically someone with carpal tunnel which is a common injury with golf?

I had a guy that had arthritis in both hands in a lesson last year and I had him bend his left arm slightly to allow the twist. I believe Brian mentioned somewhere in a post that this slight bend can help someone that needs twistaway, achieve it easier.

Matt

At the risk of sounding stupid, if you swist the shaft clockwise on the backswing arent you opening the face?

Or is that the objective?

Geez....

Try this....

Any grip....

Get a driver with 10° or less>one with a face a different color or finish than the rest of the head>by the time the club is half-way back, you have to not be able to see the face when you look toward it by turning you head, by way of turing the shaft counter-clockwise until this occurs>for the rest of the swing—the WHOLE swing—you need to not be able to see the face, but at impact have your body and arms and hands in a position so that the clubface is dead square>remember. through the ball turning the face by way of turning the shaft about itself is as much important as the backswing and downswing.

Hope this is sufficient.

My free comment was not intended to sound like a wise-ass. I understand this is a business. No offense intended.

Thanks for the clarification, I'll have to give it a try in the morning and see how it affects my wrists. An analogy would be I'm basically just trying to read a label before buying to see if it would work with my carpal tunnel.

Thanks again.

I posted this in another thread, but wanted to try for a response in this one as well.

I have been thinking of twistaway as a left hand/wrist/forearm movement this whole time, but I stumbled onto a right handed movement that accomplishes (I think) the same thing.

For years, I have been throwing the club at the ball. Now I am making more of a tennis topspin forehand motion. The right handed feeling I am using in the downswing is very similar to a right handed pull shot in foosball.

Anyone else use the right hand to accomplish their twistaway?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
As an aside, for people who don't throw it away but have problems with the twist away for WHATEVER reason, i have turned those people into strong grip players with very little roll and that has worked out.

I don't need and (couldn't perform anyway) as much counter rotation as Brian described. However, with my carpal tunnel getting a flat wrist can be a problem at times. Arching seems to pinch the nerve more than cupping. I have tried a stronger grip at times which allows for more cupping in the left wrist. However, I find I don't need as strong a grip with the shorter clubs as with the driver.

What workes best for me when I strengthen my grip is to hold the driver with the club-head pointing between 10:00 and 11:00 (on a clock) with my neutral grip. Then I simply rotate the club back to square at address. This way feels more natural than twisting my hands when I initially grip the club.

It's funny how some days I can grip the driver with my neutral grip and take my normal swing and hit it straight. And other days I either need more counter rotation or more release or have to strengthen my grip. The differences from day to day are not perceivable. Golf certainly ain't like riding a bike.

Status
Not open for further replies.