Arm speed in the golf swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have seen a statement to the effect that in order to hit the ball farther, the arms must move faster. Is there any scientific data backing this claim? Is anyone aware of motion studies that have measured arm speed? Is that possible? Not trying to get into pivot v. arms issues, just interested if the scientists or teachers here have identified how fast the arms move in the swing and whether that has translated to further force.

Maybe the question might be, what is the best way to maximize clubhead speed for a given arm speed. I could be wrong, but I don't think arm speed guarantees the ideal corresponding clubhead speed.

In either case, I think you asked the question at the right place. :)

There was a thread a few months back where Brian measured his swing and one of a Major winner on an ENSO machine and I think what he gathered was that the difference between his arm speed and the pros wasn't as great as the difference in handle rotation, which really contributed to clubhead speed.

FWIW, If the head's going 100, the hands are going 15, the belt buckle is going 2...so your hip speed is probably within 1 mph of the fastest hips in golf.
All things being equal (D Plane requirements), arm speed will add to clubhead speed...ball go far.

FWIW, If the head's going 100, the hands are going 15, the belt buckle is going 2...so your hip speed is probably within 1 mph of the fastest hips in golf.
All things being equal (D Plane requirements), arm speed will add to clubhead speed...ball go far.

I am more interested in the position of the hips as it relates to arm speed, do players with faster swing speeds have more open hips at impact?

Answering a slightly different question, Jim Furyk would have the most open hips of anyone to play the tour and is far from the longest out there.

dbl

New
Troy...Interesting video and thanks. Found a nugget in there that explains something I saw but couldn't quite grasp at least 6-8 years ago. :)

To me, arm speed is irrelevant. What I need to know is, if I am moving the club primarily with my hands and arms, how the body needs to move to have the swing path intercept the ball. Solid contact on the line of compression is the holy grail I seek.

To me, arm speed is irrelevant. What I need to know is, if I am moving the club primarily with my hands and arms, how the body needs to move to have the swing path intercept the ball. Solid contact on the line of compression is the holy grail I seek.

Me too bertsmith.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Arm speed is good but arm speed for arm speeds' sake can lead to over acceleration of the arms which is detrimental to a well timed release and strike.

I have minimal hip rotation and my club head is speed is always between 112 and 115 - yes on a Trackman not "billy bobs speed gizmo"

Lindsey,
I know that speed is generally the aggregate of many well-sequenced good motions but is there one stand-out area that really contributes for you?

art

New
I have seen a statement to the effect that in order to hit the ball farther, the arms must move faster. Is there any scientific data backing this claim? Is anyone aware of motion studies that have measured arm speed? Is that possible? Not trying to get into pivot v. arms issues, just interested if the scientists or teachers here have identified how fast the arms move in the swing and whether that has translated to further force.

Dear rogerdodger,

The forward arm speed is one of the graphs of the kinematic sequence as obtained from the Titleist Performance Institute, TPI/AMM 12 sensor systems (similar to Michael Jacob's new system), and even available from K-Vest as they also use the Titleist data bases, and place one of 3 sensors on the lead hand.

Just a few days ago, I had access to the new AMM "Walkabout" system, which also places a NEW Bluetooth sensor on the lead hand, and can be taken to the driving range, or even on the golf course.

Back to your question. All these systems record information and present a 'graph' of rotational arm speed in degrees per second referenced to the humerus/glenooid of the lead shoulder complex for the entire back swing transition and downswing.

The rotational speed of the arm has a complex but direct relationship to the eventual speed of the golf club head as it is the energy in this arm that provides much of the energy transferred to the golf club. Faster arm speed is good early in the down swing however, as the angular momentum of the accelerating arm transfers thru the wrists and hands, it accelerates the club, but the lead arm DEcelerates.

IMO, the higher the 'maximum' arm speed at its peak, approximately 2/3 of the down swing time, the higher the club head speed, and peak arm speeds of 900 degrees per second are common for good golfers. Page 60 of the TPI 3D Biomechanics Report used in their Level 2 Classes shows a range of 888 to 1038 degrees per second for accomplished golfers.

Hope that's clear,
art

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator

Line of compression??

Status
Not open for further replies.