Back to target

Status
Not open for further replies.

art

New
Yes they are but the difference is slow movements can be more influenced by conscious control then fast ones. A good example is it is generally easier to control your early backswing movements then your downswing. As far as the transmission to the muscle from the brain goes, it involves 2 neurons, one in the brain and spinal cord and another connecting the motor unit of the muscle to the spinal cord.

Christopher

Just re-read this complete string of comments, and found some very important themes which remain as issues, for which I hope to make some additional and useful inputs.

First, the success that many of you have found from implementing your personal understanding of "Back to the Target" characteristics, IMO comes from the resultant better lower body 'dynamic balance and stability' and the additional freedom the upper body/shoulders/arms have during the completion of the swing thru impact and follow-thru.

Regarding the 'feel/intent' discussions, I suggest a constructive compromise from an intellect, athlete, author I respect and admire, Tim Gallwey. While he touched on 'awareness' in his first book, "The Inner Game of Tennis", he provided IMO, a must read, complete chapter in "The Inner Game of Golf", entitled "The Awareness Instruction" .This approach in his learned opinion, and confirmed in my golf research and testing experiences, is a major step forward from, as he puts it, "the to-do" instruction. (As noted in previous blog inputs, the 'delays' in conscious 'to-do' instructions involving the brain are too slow for changing movements during the golf downswing).

Admittedly, awareness, as he describes it is an 'after the fact' self assessment, sensing the performance of the area selected, ie., hips, back, arm etc. But it has a conscious real time element and the associated delayed 'feel', both necessary for the truthful assessment of what happened during that swing. He goes on to state that this approach of body and swing awareness can be a valid and efficient self teaching and learning process for improving athletic performance.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Just re-read this complete string of comments, and found some very important themes which remain as issues, for which I hope to make some additional and useful inputs.

First, the success that many of you have found from implementing your personal understanding of "Back to the Target" characteristics, IMO comes from the resultant better lower body 'dynamic balance and stability' and the additional freedom the upper body/shoulders/arms have during the completion of the swing thru impact and follow-thru.

Regarding the 'feel/intent' discussions, I suggest a constructive compromise from an intellect, athlete, author I respect and admire, Tim Gallwey. While he touched on 'awareness' in his first book, "The Inner Game of Tennis", he provided IMO, a must read, complete chapter in "The Inner Game of Golf", entitled "The Awareness Instruction" .This approach in his learned opinion, and confirmed in my golf research and testing experiences, is a major step forward from, as he puts it, "the to-do" instruction. (As noted in previous blog inputs, the 'delays' in conscious 'to-do' instructions involving the brain are too slow for changing movements during the golf downswing).

Admittedly, awareness, as he describes it is an 'after the fact' self assessment, sensing the performance of the area selected, ie., hips, back, arm etc. But it has a conscious real time element and the associated delayed 'feel', both necessary for the truthful assessment of what happened during that swing. He goes on to state that this approach of body and swing awareness can be a valid and efficient self teaching and learning process for improving athletic performance.

Great post Art!

jimmyt

New

The "Inner Game of Golf" is a great read.......read it about 20 years ago.........yes I do read:)

Jwat

New
Since you ask... I would pick... to play NOT to teach against .... Brian .....:eek:

Wow I guess I missed this post from last week.

SteveT, I have played with BMan a couple different times. He will wear your a$$ out with fairways and GIR's. That alone would put you in your place. But if his putter decided to show up that day he's going low and your going home after the turn.

S

SteveT

Wow I guess I missed this post from last week.

SteveT, I have played with BMan a couple different times. He will wear your a$$ out with fairways and GIR's. That alone would put you in your place. But if his putter decided to show up that day he's going low and your going home after the turn.

Thanks for the warning... and since Brian is a "professional" and I'm a rank amateur... I would insist that he play from the tips and I play from the ladies .... just to even things out...;)

Used the feeling of keeping my back to the target today after slicing most of my drives for the first 12 holes. Instantly started hitting a long soft draw for the rest of the round. Didn't miss a shot all the way in. Made my swing more shallow and made it much easier to close the clubface.

Status
Not open for further replies.