BBFTX's Swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbftx

New
Inspired by Wanole's thread, I thought I'd make my first post here and ask for critique and ideas on my swing. I'm relatively new to this board, but have read some interesting and thought provoking stuff here. I frequent a number of different golf boards looking for ideas and incorporate ones that work for me into my swing.

I've been using a ten fingered palm-type grip for about 3 years. I also use some other concepts picked up from various Single Axis and Moe Norman-related forums. The SA purists would say that I'm not quite SA at setup and that my hip action isn't SA. But I hit quite a bit straighter since making major changes in my swing a few years back.

I've taken a few lessons here and there over the years, but mine is primarily a home grown swing.

Any and all input welcome. Realize that I'm new to TGM and don't know all the terminology yet. Thanks,

BBFTX
[?]

EdZ

New
Your impact position is decent (forearm on plane), but your plane is well below what it should be. Overall, mostly setup and grip issues (Brian's articles are a great place to start). You keep the club nicely on plane, its just flat from your setup and a bit restricted from the palm grip.

bbftx

New
Thanks for taking the time to look at my clip.
Guess I'm old fashioned-- I've always admired flat swings for some reason.

If I'm pretty much on plane throughout the swing, which I think I am, what is wrong with a flat swing plane like mine? Or in other words, what benefits might I see from a steeper plane?

quote:Originally posted by bbftx

Thanks for taking the time to look at my clip.
Guess I'm old fashioned-- I've always admired flat swings for some reason.

If I'm pretty much on plane throughout the swing, which I think I am, what is wrong with a flat swing plane like mine? Or in other words, what benefits might I see from a steeper plane?

What I notice is your clubface at the top is pointing to the sky. It should be facing away from the angled plane along with your left wrist.

First thing I would say that sticks out is that your address position is far too bent over, have a look at tiger etc, for some reference on posture.

Although it does look like quite a flat plane, it does seem that you are on plane, the clubface is quite closed in relation to the plane line though, so I would expect you hit some hooks/pulls.

Lastly keep that right wrist bent longer through impact, it is flattening out too early (have a look around the forums for references to flying wedges and learn about these for a more in depth understanding of why this is important).

My 2 cents.(normally worth about $0.01)

I hope Brian or Yoda make their comments here!? Regarding where to start i.e.-Posture, takeaway, etc.

I see little good here.

No "magic of the right forearm", appears a body controlled pivot or left arm controlled pivot , not a lot of lag and a pushing.......

bbftx::

My sincere and strong recommendation to you, is that you read::

The LAWs of the Golf Swing -- by Adams, Tomasi and Suttie

In this book you determine your Body Type and most suitable golfswing style for optimal results. You look like you have a L or Leverage type body build.

Looking at you attempting a SA golfswing just does not look right for your body type. What you may be doing is trying to fit your body into the wrong golfswing style for some unknown reason. Why did you go to SA in the first place? Do you have some physical impediments that cause you to limit your swinging?

bbftx

New
This is fun...
Sorry I look like such a spas' y'all. :D

Horton, I adopted some SA elements to improve consistency. For 15 years, I was the typical really bad hack -- lucky to break the average golfer's score of 100. Sprayed the ball over the place, with a tendency to a fairly big slice.

I always felt too wristy, and too much hip movement, leading to an inability to keep the club square at impact. An over the top move often crept in.

So, I thought I'd reduce moving parts ---- palm grip to eliminate some unnecessary and bad wrist action. More stable leg platform. Result has been to lower my handicap index by 10 strokes in the past three years to the mid teens. I'm a bogey golfer. I pretty much always hit the ball straight now and keep it in play. Better than I was, but I'm sure I can get better yet as I play more.

I tend to get worse as rounds progress. In fact, my index for the first 9 holes of all my rounds would be about 10; for the second 9 holes index would be 21 or so. I generally lug my own bag on 2 bad knees (both ACLs rebuilt).

Could you post a vid of your swing from frontview?

Also, it would be easier to view these, if you provide a download instead of embedding things into a web page.

Vaako

bbtfx::

Good for you to have achieved enough golfing prowness to be classified in the top 10% of all golfers worldwide. You may have topped out with your stabilized SA swing and changing it into a more powerful conventional swing will only overstress your compromised knees. What do you want from TGM, other than a complicated definition of your swing mechanics which will do you no good anyway? But what the hey ... if that will satisfy your curiosity, maybe somebody here will take a stab at telling you what you are doing wrong. A qualified TGM AI (like Brian Manzella - GSED) is your best bet if you truly want a TGM analysis.

If you prefer to carry your bag, I suggest you play no more than 9 holes and call it a day. No use playing the back nine and ingraining bad swing habits due to fatigue. As you get older you may find your back nine game invading your front nine efforts. My suggestion is that you use a push (not pull) cart or a motorized cart and stop trying to prove that you have the stamina of a man with good knees. That's stupidity on your part .... believe it.

bbftx

New
I did not mean to imply that my knees are THAT bad. I walk at doctors' recommendations actually. ( No pull or push carts allowed on my home course by the way.) My late round breakdowns are probably 70% mental; 30% fatigue.

I'm not looking to get a "more powerful conventional swing." While I like both things, I value accuracy more than distance. I've tried to develop a compact, repeatable, on-plane swing to stay in the short grass. This makes my average distance much better than it was before my swing changes, since I can generally take a straight path to where I'm headed .

So, now I'm looking for recommendations that might bring more distance without sacrificing accuracy. Or perhaps there are changes that might reduce late round breakdowns (mental or physical).

quote:Originally posted by bbftx

I did not mean to imply that my knees are THAT bad. I walk at doctors' recommendations actually. ( No pull or push carts allowed on my home course by the way.) My late round breakdowns are probably 70% mental; 30% fatigue.

So, now I'm looking for recommendations that might bring more distance without sacrificing accuracy. Or perhaps there are changes that might reduce late round breakdowns (mental or physical).

Walking is good but it is aligned in the forward plane of your body anatomy. The golfswing is entirely a lateral movement and the shear torques on your knees, particularily your lead knee can be damagingly high if your mechanics or knee joints are compromised. Micheal Jordan was also a golfnut and he blew out his left knee golfing ... and for that matter so did Tiger.

All I am saying is that you should be cautiously realistic with your expectations. Golf lessons with Brian may result in your acquiring a more efficient and less stressful golfswing. Attemting to do it on your own may prove to be disasterous if you experiment with the wrong thing based on information gleaned on any golf forum.

Out of curiosity, what range of distances do you currently get from your driver, 5 iron and pitching wedge? Don't embellish, just tell the truth. Have you or do you intend to read the book I suggested -- LAWs of the Golf Swing??

Mathew

Banned
quote:Originally posted by horton

bbftx::

My sincere and strong recommendation to you, is that you read::

The LAWs of the Golf Swing -- by Adams, Tomasi and Suttie

In this book you determine your Body Type and most suitable golfswing style for optimal results. You look like you have a L or Leverage type body build.

Looking at you attempting a SA golfswing just does not look right for your body type. What you may be doing is trying to fit your body into the wrong golfswing style for some unknown reason. Why did you go to SA in the first place? Do you have some physical impediments that cause you to limit your swinging?

This book is one i've skimmed in the book shop for 15mins which is just long enough to know its second rate. It is not even a vintage book (little red book, ben hogans power golf/5 lessons...etc) to find a gem of a story or take interest in their feel system thoughts after understanding their machine mechanics....

bbftx

New
Horton, Perhaps you don't realize it, but you have a curious way of writing messages. Your "knee" commentary seems to assume that I'm not intelligent enough and too lazy to research the topic even though I've had 3 knee operations. Your commentary further assumes you know more about my knee condition than I do. I've spent much time on this topic --- they are my knees after all. I also ski by the way, but I wear custom braces when doing so.

Also, for your education, "the lateral movement of the golf swing" is not really a problem for an ACL injury like mine. If I had a medial collateral or lateral collateral ligament injury, I might be more concerned. I don't know much about those ligament injuries though. Perhaps someone on the board has had that type of injury and can comment.

Are you just trying to be provocative or is that how you would normally converse with acquaintances? Don't embellish, just tell the truth. :)

On to club distances, (where again, you ask the question in a way that assumes I would lie to you). My distances are pretty pedestrian. PW is 110, 5 iron 155, driver 225-235.
BBFTX

P.S Re. the book. I probably won't read it. The premise that there are ONLY 3 body types and that there are ONLY 3 swings seems very incomplete.
Mathew didn't seem to be impressed by looking at the book either, so that's another data point for me.

The LAWs model has attempted to recommend certain swing styles based upon one's flexability and body type. They say that most people are hybrids, not totally one type of swing. For example, one might be an arc/leverage hybrid.

The idea seems to be pretty good, however, there are some fairly obvious exceptions... Jack Nicklaus would probably be a Width player by their criteria, but he has done quite well as an Arc player(TGM-Swinger, upright plane angle, Float Load).

A good A.I. of T.G.M. could do something similar... i.e., recommend certain swing components(Hitting/Swinging etc.) depending upon one's physical and/or psychological characteristics.

quote:Originally posted by bbftx Horton,
On to club distances, (where again, you ask the question in a way that assumes I would lie to you). My distances are pretty pedestrian. PW is 110, 5 iron 155, driver 225-235.
BBFTX

P.S Re. the book. I probably won't read it. The premise that there are ONLY 3 body types and that there are ONLY 3 swings seems very incomplete.
Mathew didn't seem to be impressed by looking at the book either, so that's another data point for me.

Your knees may be no issue to you, but you did mention your ACL situation and for lack of further information, I extended my advice to include the stress on your meniscii, which btw will dry out with time and being exposed to repetitive strain from the lateral stresses of the golfswing will start acting up as you age.

Your club distances are respectable for a recreational golfer, and with your accuracy you have a decent game and a legitimate handicap level. You can play golf with anybody and earn their respect.

As for you superficial comments about LAWs, you are incorrect, because the book does have a section on mixed Body Types. The book is the result of extensive studies done by three reputable and proven golf professionals with greater credential than Homer could ever hope to achieve. Of course if you prefer to believe Mathew and Homer, both of whom are scientific failures, that is your prerogative. Good luck with your SA swing.

bbftx

New
quote:Originally posted by lagster

The LAWs model has attempted to recommend certain swing styles based upon one's flexability and body type. They say that most people are hybrids, not totally one type of swing. For example, one might be an arc/leverage hybrid.

Lagster,
Thanks on expanding on the LAWs model. Does the book imply hybrid body types should use a hybrid swing? And/Or if a person has a hybrid swing, do they recommend moving to one of the three defined types?
Thanks,
BBFTX

Mathew

Banned
quote:Of course if you prefer to believe Mathew and Homer, both of whom are scientific failures, that is your prerogative.

While it feels nice being in the same boat as Homer :), im afraid to say it is you that you spout more inconsistances in your science than a James Bond film in plot.

TGM'ers have no need to shudder from science - Even my own studies (do you do these????) have always pointed to Homer being correct. I have come to highly respect Homers opinions and any A.I because they follow the teachings.

People should not say 'it might not be scientifically correct but golfingly correct' because science is the machines forte and that is why people improve so much.

Horton will always be blind....

Status
Not open for further replies.