Ben Doyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Randy w/ the say NO wrong posts,

I'll try and post my swing up this week and I'll SHOW you just how efficient and fluid it is..........[8)]

dude

New
quote:Originally posted by ragman

I'll try and post my swing up this week and I'll SHOW you just how efficient and fluid it is..........[8)]

Do not comprehend your point. This is great that you are very pleased with your fluid swing and that it is efficient and works for you. My point is in regards to Hitting or Swinging and the potential misrepresentation that one is superior, better, longer or shorter than the other. That's all, no more or no less. In conclusion, I supported this fact with a source outside of TGM. This only adds to the validity of the process and Homer's work.

quote:Originally posted by dude

Do not comprehend your point. This is great that you are very pleased with your fluid swing and that it is efficient and works for you. My point is in regards to Hitting or Swinging and the potential misrepresentation that one is superior, better, longer or shorter than the other. That's all, no more or no less. In conclusion, I supported this fact with a source outside of TGM. This only adds to the validity of the process and Homer's work.
In your knowledge, do you believe that angled hinging is as efficient as horizontal hinging in regards to smash factor, physics, etc.?

(And, YES, we DO know that hitters CAN play with horizontal hinging and swingers vice versa, but HERE we can assume that the hitter is using angled hinging and the horizontal.......)

Ragman-- can you please describe the difference between anged and horizontal hinging. Are you talking about how the hands hinge during the backswing?

dude

New
quote:In your knowledge, do you believe that angled hinging is as efficient as horizontal hinging in regards to smash factor, physics, etc.?

(And, YES, we DO know that hitters CAN play with horizontal hinging and swingers vice versa, but HERE we can assume that the hitter is using angled hinging and the horizontal.......)

Yes.

As for Horizontal Hinge Action with Hitting or Swinging? If a Swinger does not have any clubface manipulation, the Hinge Action will be Horizontal. A Hitter would have Angled Hinge Action in a non-manipulated clubface stroke. This means that the Hitter then would have to make an adjustment to the machine when using a manipulated Hinge Action, such as Horizontal Hinge or put up with missing the target.

quote:Originally posted by dude

quote:In your knowledge, do you believe that angled hinging is as efficient as horizontal hinging in regards to smash factor, physics, etc.?

Yes.

As for Horizontal Hinge Action with Hitting or Swinging? If a Swinger does not have any clubface manipulation, the Hinge Action will be Horizontal. A Hitter would have Angled Hinge Action in a non-manipulated clubface stroke. This means that the Hitter then would have to make an adjustment to the machine when using a manipulated Hinge Action, such as Horizontal Hinge or put up with missing the target.
In your opinion, why would Homer (the other Homer was remarkable, too!) label horizontal hinging the "Ideal Application"?

quote:Originally posted by efnef

Ragman-- can you please describe the difference between anged and horizontal hinging. Are you talking about how the hands hinge during the backswing?
Hinging is the hand motion through impact to separation, in the truest sense, per TGM.

45 degrees after impact:

Pivot through and watch the face turn slightly. It is not quite perpendicular to the target line and not quite parallel. Somewhere in-between. FEELS like NO roll. But, DOES roll slightly. Angled hinging.

Horizontal hinging will FEEL like you ADD roll to the clubface to the amount already imparted by the torso. Clubface should be parallel to target line. TOE pointing to target.

quote:Originally posted by benhogan54

Ragman,
Can't the body support, but still lead?
What is the definition of support?
quote:In TGM Kelley says that the body provides balance and support.
Kelley SPECIALIZED in PHYSICS and GEOMETRY.
quote:Also, Chuck has an article dealing with coming over the top and he talks about how the only way to come over the top is having incorrect sequencing of the body.
Read ANY of the lab reports and studies on on the inertial loading in the golf swing.......sequence starts from the MIDDLE...the inside moves the outside...just like EVERY other sport.

I take support to mean "work along with". The body won't overwork or underwork this way. It blends the movement of the body and arms.

I know Kelley specialized in both, but doesn't he say that the arms and hands provide the speed and power and the body provides balance and support?

All I can do is quote what Chuck says in his articles. He talks about coming over the top being a result of the arms initiating and coming from the inside being a result of the correct sequencing. I've never met or talked to him so I can only go by his articles.

"Read ANY of the lab reports and studies on on the inertial loading in the golf swing.......sequence starts from the MIDDLE...the inside moves the outside...just like EVERY other sport."

I am interested in more on this. What exactly is the middle? Hips? Stomach? Doesn't Kelly say the most effective way is to initiate from the feet?

Ragman,
Bear with me. I am very new to TGM and I am trying to learn. I don't have the book memorized and I haven't made my way through all of it. I am only getting the basic principals right now.

I take support to mean "work along with". The body won't overwork or underwork this way. It blends the movement of the body and arms.
Your definition of support, IMO, is the same as saying, "in concert with"...In my book, "support" = a secondary position.
quote:I know Kelley specialized in both, but doesn't he say that the arms and hands provide the speed and power and the body provides balance and support?
The point I tried (and failed) to make was that Kelley knew physics and geometry...he wasn't a physiologist...

I believe if Mr. Kelley would have been able to witness the technology today a few things would be different.....
quote:All I can do is quote what Chuck says in his articles. He talks about coming over the top being a result of the arms initiating and coming from the inside being a result of the correct sequencing. I've never met or talked to him so I can only go by his articles.
What you say he says would be correct, IMO.
quote:"Read ANY of the lab reports and studies on on the inertial loading in the golf swing.......sequence starts from the MIDDLE...the inside moves the outside...just like EVERY other sport."

I am interested in more on this. What exactly is the middle? Hips? Stomach? Doesn't Kelly say the most effective way is to initiate from the feet?
True, from the ground up...feet first...

But, when you feel it, it's in the back muscles (the midsection is the "transfer case")...the strong trunk muscles, back, abs, obliques are key for back support...Get's the left side where it needs to be so the right side can rotate around the left side axis, ankle to shoulder blade.....

Ragman,
Bear with me. I am very new to TGM and I am trying to learn. I don't have the book memorized and I haven't made my way through all of it. I am only getting the basic principals right now.
It's quite alright.

I like to be tested.;)

So, transfer to the left heel and then fire the right side around that point?
Of course, it's all RELATIVE when it comes to FEEL.....but, mechanically speaking: yes, as soon as the hands get to the release point...

Bob Toski is a great model. It's no wonder why he was the longest hitter (POUND FOR POUND)....regardless of what he tried to do/thought he did.....

Bob Toski is a great model. It's no wonder why he was the longest hitter (POUND FOR POUND)....regardless of what he tried to do/thought he did.....

Actually I have seen Toski sitting on a chair and pound out golf ball after golf ball. Distance difference between on his feet and sitting was only a few yards.

This supports the position IMO that the lower body (feet up to hips) are primarily for stabilization.

Earlier this year when Tiger played in one of the first tournaments that his gut was hurting, the weather was bad, rough tough and Tiger was in the rough quite a bit. Again supports the position IMO that middle of the body (hips to shoulders) is a biggie for the golf swing.

quote:Originally posted by Martee

Actually I have seen Toski sitting on a chair and pound out golf ball after golf ball. Distance difference between on his feet and sitting was only a few yards.
When these guys sit on chairs and hit balls on their knees, they are still using the 'CORE' muscles....You ever see any 'potbellied' golfers try to do this?

quote:Earlier this year when Tiger played in one of the first tournaments that his gut was hurting, the weather was bad, rough tough and Tiger was in the rough quite a bit. Again supports the position IMO that middle of the body (hips to shoulders) is a biggie for the golf swing.
I just said in a previous post that the MIDSECTION was vital. I never said these muscles weren't a "biggie".

The core is the 'TRANSFER CASE'.

quote:Originally posted by Martee

When these guys sit on chairs and hit balls on their knees, they are still using the 'CORE' muscles....You ever see any 'potbellied' golfers try to do this?

quote:Earlier this year when Tiger played in one of the first tournaments that his gut was hurting, the weather was bad, rough tough and Tiger was in the rough quite a bit. Again supports the position IMO that middle of the body (hips to shoulders) is a biggie for the golf swing.
I just said in a previous post that the MIDSECTION was vital. I never said these muscles weren't a "biggie".

The core is the 'TRANSFER CASE'.

All I was attempting to do is to add to your case, I wasn't taking issue.

Good observation on the pot-belly, but the walrus might take acception but I have only seen him hit the famous towel on the ground knee shot. Don't think it was his longest.

Ernest Jones, a teacher of some repute, and a one-legged golfer, the other being shot-off in the first catastrophe of last century, emphasised that the hands are great leaders but poor followers.

The body is there for support. It may do a lot of things but it is a terrible leader, and I maintain has not the longevity of a hands-based swing.

By the way Mr Jones was able to get around in close to par, on one leg.

Status
Not open for further replies.