BOMBSHELL: New Research from the Manzella Labs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
This is really big stuff.

And I am sure that we are going to shock the world somewhat with this revelation.

The golf club is NOT moving in either a circle or an ellipse down near and through impact.

No matter what angle you are looking at or measuring.

The swing has a very long nearly FLAT spot, and a very long nearly DEAD STRAIGHT spot as well.

And we have figured out how this is.

It may be the secret to consistent ball-flight.

Sure, the "flat spot" has been talked about before. As a matter of fact, the first person to speak at the first PGA Teaching & Coaching Summit in Dallas in 1988, was a lady researcher, who claimed it to be the secret.

Yeah, the lady that "Big Don" infamously said, "Don't clap, she may come back."

But she didn't say anything about how straight down the target line the club got during this spot, or a single thing about how to do it.

Right now, we have come up with 10 things that keep the club from being swung in a circle.

Some are easy and obvious. Others, you might NEVER think of.

Looks like all the folks trying for "circular motion" are barking up the wrong tree.

Before I start spilling the beans too much, I'd love to hear the reaction.

I can hear 'em now....

"Who does this idiot think he is"

"Everyone knows this already"

"He's dead wrong, where is his proof"

"It's just another 'marketing' gimmick"​

Hmmm.....:cool:

ZAP

New
I can hardly wait to see if I can wrap my head around this one. Everything tells me that something free on one end that is swinging is going to go in a curve. Especially something that is going very fast.
I may need some rest before reading it.

ggsjpc

New
This should be fun. Where does the flatspot occur and is there a collision inbetween the beginning and end of it?

The same goes for putting - having a flat spot.

Great work Brian. Anxiously waiting for the other 10 shoes to drop.:)

Hmmm...

I spent some time with Tim Simpson, back in the early '90's when he was rehabbing from injury. He was a great striker.

He said, that he thought he was so straight because of his knee action, that it mimicked Byron Nelson. It was sort of a dip past impact, not the posting up that is prevalent these days. He mentioned "flat spot." So did Phil Rodgers.

Other than that, I could hypothesis on wrist conditions and how some "leakage" post strike (ala VJ, Phil) could conceivably help keep the face more consistent.

I'm looking forward to your insights. As usual.

So I wonder how long the flat spot is....could it be as long as 6" or is it shorter? Does the Paula Creamer/Natalie Gulbis "dip" at impact increase the flat/straight spot?

Kepler's Law

If you care enough to understand the statements Brian is presenting then look to the person who is responsible for the truth that the theory speaks. It is amazing information and might give you the insight to the disappointment the circle presented scientists of this era. Newton credited Kepler for his influence upon Newton's three laws. Really good stuff and fascinating reading for those of you who are unfamiliar.
I hope all of you benefit as I have through better minds than myself.:)
Birdies and eagles,
Matt Kluck

I Forgot One Thing

Every circle can be measured with straight lines.:eek:
Physics is essentially calculus in motion!:) This is the great part about measurable advances in progress.
MK

There was a video in the 90's by a guy named Dalton McCrary called "How to Hit the Ball as Straight as You Can Point" that touched on this. He professed a "40 inch zone of squareness". Maybe he was on to something?

I'm just totally guessing here, but one element of the "flat spot/dead straight spot" (and I realize they may occur at the same or different times), would be the hands moving up and in while the club moves (relative to the hands) down and out. Possibly why the "secret to tour quality striking" that Brian did a video about is minimum downward strike with good forward lean.

Am I close at all :)?

KOC

New
Because of the straightening of the right arm and the unc0cking of the wrist widen the arc?

Sam Snead: "But is its path straight?"

I would think that even if we assume the club is moving pretty much in an arc, wouldn't the middle of that arc be the left shoulder? If so, then while the clubhead is moving down and out, the shoulder is moving up and in, basically cancelling the down and out movement of the clubhead on it's arc, resulting in our flat spot.

Just a thought.

John

Have read carefully. Out of my depth here, but fascinated to hear the results. Tired enough to hazard a guess though...

A wheel is circular. If you lock the axle and force the whole thing horizontally along a flat road, the same spot of wheel will be in contact with the ground. Massive over-simplification, I know, but you would have to think some lateral movement of the left shoulder relative to the ball would be involved. It is clearly moving laterally anyway as it attached to the pivoting body and isn't frozen in space before, during and after separation.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Some answers on the "dent" in the hula-hoop

The same goes for putting - having a flat spot.

According to Tyalor Matt and the MATT System, nobody has pure arc/on-plane putting stroke, and noboby has a pure straight=back-straight-though one either.

So I wonder how long the flat spot is....could it be as long as 6" or is it shorter? Does the Paula Creamer/Natalie Gulbis "dip" at impact increase the flat/straight spot?

It looks to be in the 6-8 inch range. But it could be shorter or longer.

I'm just totally guessing here, but one element of the "flat spot/dead straight spot" (and I realize they may occur at the same or different times), would be the hands moving up and in while the club moves (relative to the hands) down and out. Possibly why the "secret to tour quality striking" that Brian did a video about is minimum downward strike with good forward lean.

Am I close at all :)?

That is a factor...good job, holeout.

Because of the straightening of the right arm and the unc0cking of the wrist widen the arc?

You are also correct, but we separate the right arm and right wrist straightening, from the uncocking.

They are different directions, but BOTH have a effect.

It is the collision of clubhead with ball which will cause the flatspot?

It doesn't seem to hurt on a center contact strike.

I would think that even if we assume the club is moving pretty much in an arc, wouldn't the middle of that arc be the left shoulder?

No.

That is one of the old assumptions of The Golfing Machine, and like Mandrin told me—the point between the shoulder is a much a center as the left shoulder, and I found it could be low point as well.

As well as all sorts of other places.

If so, then while the clubhead is moving down and out, the shoulder is moving up and in, basically cancelling the down and out movement of the clubhead on it's arc, resulting in our flat spot.

Just a thought.

John

The left shoulder is ONE OF THE CENTERS, and the up and in, can do a lot of the canceling.

Good job.

Have read carefully. Out of my depth here, but fascinated to hear the results. Tired enough to hazard a guess though...

A wheel is circular. If you lock the axle and force the whole thing horizontally along a flat road, the same spot of wheel will be in contact with the ground. Massive over-simplification, I know, but you would have to think some lateral movement of the left shoulder relative to the ball would be involved. It is clearly moving laterally anyway as it attached to the pivoting body and isn't frozen in space before, during and after separation.

There are MULTIPLE CENTERS.

And they all aren't rotating ON PLANE!!!

Pull-up, Run-up, and Jump.

A large effect for sure.

You guys are SOOooooo much smarter than than the average forums, average members. :D:D:):):cool::cool::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::p:p

Just thinking -if during the downswing and impact zone axis tilt and rotation happen properly would that not shift the plane line more left and cause a bit more of a flat spot and a somewhat straighter exit line. If the circle were to be as close to a hula hoop as possible the shoulders would have to stay more level during the downswing -would'nt they ?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Just thinking -if during the downswing and impact zone axis tilt and rotation happen properly would that not shift the plane line more left and cause a bit more of a flat spot and a somewhat straighter exit line. If the circle were to be as close to a hula hoop as possible the shoulders would have to stay more level during the downswing -would'nt they ?

The very important detail here is to know that the centers are moving inward some as the the club gets close to the ball, and just past the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.