Books on Course Strategy and Management?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I haven't been practicing much lately, and only playing every couple weeks because I've been trying to heal what I think is bad tendonitis in my left elbow. There's very few grass ranges near me, and I believe the mats at my local range are a contributing factor to my pain.

Anyways, since I can't practice I've been sort of collecting golf books for something to do. I just finished with John Jacobs "Practical Golf" which was a good read, and I've got Faldo's "Golf: The Winning Formula" up next. I was wondering if anyone knows of any good books that focus on strategy, and course management. There's a billion books on technique and every possible variation out there, and some of these books have a chapter or a few paragraphs on strategy but I was looking for something a little more in depth.

Even without playing or practicing or playing much I was hitting the ball really well. I've never had much opportunity to play with many significantly better players then myself, so I don't have anyone to learn from. I feel like I'm leaving alot of shots out there because of poor decision making. I played last Sunday and shot 3 over on the front, and ballooned to an 11 over on the back. It was hot and once I started getting tired my focus left me and I was just kind of hitting the ball without any real plan. Since I need to rest my body, I may as well work out the old grey matter to get better. Anyways, thanks in advance yall!

Erik_K

New
Ever been to Lake Presidential to practice?

We should meet up some time since we live in the same area. I agree that artificial mats can beat you up.

Erik

No, I've always wanted to check it out but the course is out of my price range, and 30 or 40 minutes is a little far for me to go just to practice. One of these days when I have the cash I'd like to make it down and see Damon for my first lesson. I grew up about 15 minutes from there in Marlton, and my parents still live there so I'll have to check out the facilities next time I go to see them.

I'm always down to play golf with some new folks. Lately my budget has been as prohibitive as my injuries though.

Not sure its the best manangement book, but Jonny Miller's how to break 90 was a good read-- had nice short stories at the opening of each chapter that I thought were entertaining and the book did have some course manangement info, etc... Got it at Half Price books for $3 so that always helps...

natep

New
I've never come across any course management books, but that Faldo book is excellent as far as instructional books go, IMO.

The only ones I can think of that I've read are the Bob Rotella books (sorta on topic) and there is a Dave Pelz book (Damage Control) but I didn't really like that one. I love going back and reading the Rotella books though they are only partially on topic and for some reason a lot of people don't like Rotella. I plan on checking out some of the other sports/golf psychology books in the future to see the difference.

I actually have a couple of chapters written of a book on bascially what you are asking. My book is geared more towards the weekend hacker who could improve his scores if he just followed a few easy rules.

Smart Golf by Owen and Kirschenbaum, 1998, Jossey-Bass Inc., Publishers, 350 Sansome Street, San Francisco, CA 94104
Golf at the Top with Steve Williams by Steve Williams, 2006, Ulysses Press, PO Box 3440, Berkeley, CA 94703 www.ulyssespress.com

I'm not sure if it can still be found.....but Dr. John Pates, "Winning Excellence, a Guide to Peak Performance" is a REALLY good book and very in depth on all aspects of the mental side of golf. From controlling self talk to analyzing risk and reward. The book includes many tests that show your tendencies and thought patterns during play and helps to identify where you lose focus and what triggers certain stress responses. By far the most complete book I've ever seen on the subject.

Dr. Pates is a sports psychologists for the European Ryder Cup Team and for many of the players on the European Tour.

Here is his webpage: Dr John Pates - Sports Psychologist to Champion Golfers

Great practice facility! Another public facility in the general area ( Delaware ) is White Clay Creek, right off 95. Probably the best public facility I have ever seen. Unfortunate that there aren't more in this area. Mats are a killer - I won't hit more than a few balls off of them - it is uncomfortable at times, and I seem to hit my irons like crap on the course after a session.
Johnny, I live in Bel Air, but quite a few guys I play with are in the Dundalk area. I actually grew up there. We actually play in PA most of the time ( courses cheaper, better, and less crowded ), and a lot of the guys meet and drive together. Always room for another!

I've done some extensive statistical analysis on the PGA Tour and what relates to low scores. I believe I can apply it to almost every level of golfer. Feel free to ask me a question in this thread, I'll give an answer, and then everybody can make their own judgment. It may help you out and it may help me out understanding what golfers like and dislike about my findings and analysis.

3JACK

When should you 'Layup Chip'?

I had a great round the other day with just two screwups on the card in the shape of two triple bogeys (no doubles though!).

The Mistake - One triple came on a 196 yard par three, playing into a light wind and with some light rain falling.

There was zero trouble short of the green, which is slightly raised at the front and steeply sloped from front to back. Maybe 6 yards wide at the front, widening to 10 at the back (funky course). It has a bunker short on the right side. There's a lot of junk either side - bushes etc - once you get to the middle of the green distance (let's say 205).

So I take a 5iron, which I reckon will either be short of the green or just on the front. If I get lucky it might run forward a bit. I don't think I can reach the really nasty stuff.

But I don't hit it well and it comes up 15-20 yards short of the green and also a little to the right, with the bunker now in the way and side on to this narrow green. From there, I try to play a high soft shot with a 60 but thin it over the green and into a bush. Make a 6 in the end.

What should I have done different?

- Take more club; maybe even a 5wood. Doing so brings some over the green/bushes etc into play
- Don't 'go for it' by taking on the high soft shot. Play an easier shot not taking on the bunker that goes on or near the front of the green - try to make 4 from there. The 'layup' chip is not guaranteed either but is quite a bit simpler.

I played the high soft shot exceptionally poorly but brought a terrible result into play by trying it.

So....

Question: When should you 'Layup Chip'

Question How much should your par-three/approach club selection be influenced by the areas with the lowest amount of 'trouble' - i.e. even if 'going for it' from Danger Zone, do you go for a pin high yardage, or a safe spot near the pin?

Status
Not open for further replies.