Boom Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
Turn the volume up for full effect.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kuph9g7NAyc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kuph9g7NAyc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Step aside J.B. Holmes, I found my new favorite player this weekend: Jeff "Boom Baby" Overton.

Yea, definitely lost any respect I had for him after that display. I was embarrassed to be an American while watching it. With this US team, it is very tough to pull for them, they just seem so dysfunctional.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
Yea, definitely lost any respect I had for him after that display. I was embarrassed to be an American while watching it. With this US team, it is very tough to pull for them, they just seem so dysfunctional.

"Embarrassed to be an American" by watching a guy overreact to a holed 9-iron in the Ryder Cup? Talk about an overreaction. ;)

ZAP

New
It almost seemed like they overdid it on purpose. Bubba cracked me up when he was joining in.
All of the celebrations make me a little uncomfortable. When a guy pumps his fist when he makes a 4 foot par putt on number 3 it seems a little over the top to me. Save the celebrating for the last green. Every shot you hit is not "clutch" ( did you hear me Johnny Miller) at some point you are just playing golf.

"Embarrassed to be an American" by watching a guy overreact to a holed 9-iron in the Ryder Cup? Talk about an overreaction. ;)

Context is everything. If he'd holed that in a match against Ian Poulter, I'd have understood. Against Jimenez and Hanson, I'd say that was a bit OTT.

Having said that, this is why I love the Ryder Cup.

I can't really work up any irrational prejudices in any other medium. I have an unpatriotic disinterest in soccer.

But every 2 years I do like to see a team of fist-bumping, hollerin', high-fiving college boys come up against some old world europeans, quietly reflecting on each well-played stroke with a puff on a fine cigar, a modest acknowledgement of the applause and a couple of hummed phrases of something stirring by Beethoven or Brahms.

I miss Sergio...

Given the host site, I believe the correct analysis was - he went mental.

Bubba and Jeff seem to wound a little tighter than the average tour pro. Probably equal parts adrenaline, anxiousness, and spaz have been pumping through their veins since Monday. The pair seem quite excitable - genuinely so. The artificial brand of celebratory nonsense is what I find over the top. I don't think this qualified.

My guess is, as kids, they did the same thing over the prize in their Lucky Charms.

I can't say that I'm embarassed to be an American by Overton's display, and I'm glad he's motivated to win, I just can't imagine Bobby Jones reacting that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.