Brad Faxon TGM poster child

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I don't like Faxon's swing.

Too strong left hand. To far forward hands at address. Too much address tilt. Too much arm over-acceleration.

matt

New
From what I've read/heard, he strives for max delay, short pulley, angled hinge, big secondary axis tilt.

quote:Originally posted by matt

From what I've read/heard, he strives for max delay, short pulley, angled hinge, big secondary axis tilt.

Matt,

Doubt that he strives </u>for any of the above. He wouldn't know what they meant. The rest sounds like Chuck's comments. Wouldn't max delay / short pulley at least make him long and wild rather than short and wild.

Golfie

quote:Originally posted by brianman

I don't like Faxon's swing.

Too strong left hand. To far forward hands at address. Too much address tilt. Too much arm over-acceleration.

Brian,

I don't really like his swing either. However was a bit disturbed as it seems to embody a number of the desired characteristics.

I was just wondering if the TGM community could really help this guy. I will have to check your prescribed grip, but isn't the generally prescribed TGM grip "strong" - at least the left thumb location. If one snugs the rest of the hand to this thumb location, you get what is classically described as strong. Yes?

Hands ahead at address and axis tilt look like impact fix to me.

Arms over acceleration. Could you explain a bit. I think he actually over rotates a bit relative to his zero shift. Seems that his hands used to be higher than the sequence on Redgoat's. see http://www.beauproductions.com/golfswingsws/bradfaxon/main.htm

Comments?

Golfie

matt

New
quote:Originally posted by golfie

quote:Originally posted by matt

Matt,

Doubt that he strives </u>for any of the above. He wouldn't know what they meant. The rest sounds like Chuck's comments. Wouldn't max delay / short pulley at least make him long and wild rather than short and wild.

Golfie

He worked with Ron Gring, who's an AI. I remember him being on The Golf Channel a few years back and either him or Gring actually said something like, "In Homer Kelley's The Golfing Machine..." They went on to demonstrate how Gring taught Faxon to use an angled hinge by getting him to feel "no roll."

But each time Gring would drop a TGM reference Faxon would be quick to "translate" it. He also said something to the effect of, "Ron can talk in Golfing Machine terms, or in plain terms."

So both Faxon and Gring know their stuff.

As far as why Faxon is short, I personally believe you can focus too much on a flat left wrist. Don't get me wrong, a flat wrist is absolutely critical for making solid contact, however, I think you can focus on the hands so much and in an effort to keep the hands ahead of the clubhead you get tension in the arms and the entire swing slows down. Driving too the ball rather than through the ball.

Faxon doesn't have a flat left wrist, it's arched. As for being "short", let's do a reality check. Last yr, Faxon was 76th on the money list and one of 77 who won over a million dollars. He was 185th in driving distance at 273.7 yds. Tour events are played on extremely long courses, usually over 7200 yds. The distance stat is calulated on 2 holes per round, and a driver isn't always used. Anyone who can get a tour card, much less win 1 million dollars in a yr, is long enough to hit ANY green in regulation.

Calling him short is like saying the guys in the 11th row in the Indy 500 are slow.

quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

Faxon doesn't have a flat left wrist, it's arched. As for being "short", let's do a reality check. Last yr, Faxon was 76th on the money list and one of 77 who won over a million dollars. He was 185th in driving distance at 273.7 yds. Tour events are played on extremely long courses, usually over 7200 yds. The distance stat is calulated on 2 holes per round, and a driver isn't always used. Anyone who can get a tour card, much less win 1 million dollars in a yr, is long enough to hit ANY green in regulation.

Calling him short is like saying the guys in the 11th row in the Indy 500 are slow.

MJ,

My comment was really why is he short and </u>crooked? He is second last in total driving this year. Only ahead of Duval. Short by tour standards is OK (and better than most that will read this post) but why so crooked too?

Golfie

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Actually MJ...the guy in the 11th row of indy is slow just like Faxon is under the PGA average.

Just like every .001 second REALLY means something in racing (i know from competing) i'd say every 5 yards is important in driving the ball because it makes you have to use less club and theoretically be more accurate because of the less club.

One of the guys on bombsquad used to play professionally and he said it best...this isn't a direct quote but close

"If you're playing a 7000yard course, par 72...if you drive the ball 275 its essentially a par 72, if you drive the ball 300 is essentially a par 68 and if you drive the ball 320 its essentially par 66."

This is why being long is so important. One of the most interesting stats i've seen in a long time was played at the short airing of Riveria last week when tiger was finishing his second round. It showed all of his birdies throughout his career compared to how many holes he played. Meaning how many par 3s he played and how many under par he is, how many par 4s he played and how many under par he is, etc.

Par 3 he was -17 for his career
Par 4 he was -XXX for his career (not sure on how many i think 2-400)
Par 5 he was -1196 UNDER PAR

Jim,

So far this yr, Faxon is tied at 167th with Hank Kuehne in par 5 performance at -8. Last yr, Fax was 97th at -90, while Els was 94th at -91.

The guys analysis only works if everyone has the same short game and putting ability. All of the tour players, not just the long ones, make most of their unders on par 5s.

The guys on the front rows whose cars are pushing or loose will get run over by the back markers who run flat through the turns.

Matt,

Just let me know what you want to know about Faxon, Perry, Hnatiuk, Durant or Jerry Pate.
I would be honored to tell you the component variations they have and are working on.
Ron Gring, G.S.E.D.
rgring@gringgolf.com

Hey Guys,

If anyone wants to know what component variations I've suggested to the PGA Tour players I've worked with...just ask.
By the way, none of you ever talk about Joe Durant, ranked #1 in Ball Striking Category 2 years in a row. Coincidence?
Ron Gring, G.S.E.D.
rgring@gringgolf.com

Pro

New
Ron,
Let us know what you work on with Joe and I would love to hear what you are working on with Jerry Pate.
Have you seen Jon Z lately and would you indulge what you work with him on?

Todd

quote:Originally posted by rg2557

Hey Guys,

If anyone wants to know what component variations I've suggested to the PGA Tour players I've worked with...just ask.
By the way, none of you ever talk about Joe Durant, ranked #1 in Ball Striking Category 2 years in a row. Coincidence?
Ron Gring, G.S.E.D.
rgring@gringgolf.com

Love Joe's swing.

www.golfswing.com/Assets/quicktimeproswings/durant.mov

Is this swing with you? Looks very simple to the top and a nice hips to start the Down Stroke.

Fill us in?

BTW: capture some of Glen Hnatiuk a few years back from what little time he gets on the tube. Smooth stroke- what's he doing now after Q School? I always root for the machiner's.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
As far as Faxon goes, I stand by what I said. But I do like it more than when he worked with the Golf Digest guys, so Ron surely "taught him up."

Seems to me, if he jsut stuck with Ron Gring and stopped all the "Tour Player Rabbit ears." he would be way better off.;)

Why is Brad so short and crooked?

Driving Distance: 194th (274.7 yards)
Driving Accuarcy: 178th (60.7%)

Just shows there's MORE than getting into these max trigger delay, snap release, flat left wrist POSITIONS. It's also about HOW you get into these positions...the Physics.

Mathew

Banned
quote:Originally posted by rg2557

Hey Guys,

Ron Gring, G.S.E.D.
rgring@gringgolf.com

I would be curious to hear about what you teach. Especially in respect to The Golfing Machine and your general approach to teaching everyone from Joe Duff to Joe Durant.

Ron Gring is a great ambassador for TGM. He knows his stuff and can do his stuff.
He himself is proof of how multi- dimensional this great game is.
If it were only the " Swing or Hit" that raked in the dollars, he would probably be ahead of his "pupils".

Status
Not open for further replies.