Brian Manzella for Golf Magazine, Golf.com & FRONT9 - Hit it like The Hawk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the shaft is rotating 45 degrees about the Z axis, the body is opening, tilting and the wrists are downarching proportionally to offset it, making it appear to be more "stable."

I keep telling everyone that you be surprised at the difference between your actual rotational velocity about the Z axis—The RoC, TwistAway, whatever you'd like to call it—and what the clubface looked like on video....

But why?

Because there is a not necessarily a 1-to-1 correlation between movement about the shaft axis (or longitudinal club cg) and "observed" face angle. You can just shift plane with hands, arms, shoulders, etc. and the clubface will appear totally different.

...not to mention the clubhead speed differences and arc differences, based on the fact that it is measured in deg per second as oppossed to, say, deg per inch.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Because the shaft is rotating 45 degrees about the Z axis, the body is opening, tilting and the wrists are downarching proportionally to offset it, making it appear to be more "stable."

Because there is a not necessarily a 1-to-1 correlation between movement about the shaft axis (or longitudinal club cg) and "observed" face angle. You can just shift plane with hands, arms, shoulders, etc. and the clubface will appear totally different.

...not to mention the clubhead speed differences and arc differences, based on the fact that it is measured in deg per second as oppossed to, say, deg per inch.

Hooray!!!

You each win a free video of your choice!!

Isn't it amazing that I have folks that are as smart as these two on this site!

Brian,

Is this last position parallel to the ground where golfers are defined?

I thought of your post describing all golfers as either those who slice/hook/flip it square/no clubface control when I saw this video

I always thought the face should be toe up or even slightly more open at this last parallel before impact. In practice I thought this would lower my flight getting to the "David Toms" face closure but I can control height just as before, I just mash it better.

Toe up or more open the only options are rotate it REALLY fast to compress it, or flip it square.....

Looks like I was one of those who learned to flip it square as I kid, and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't draw it to save my life when I was younger. In the last few years had hit some pull hooks and though it was a closed face issue as the face was shut at impact. Looks like I was so open I couldn't no anything else or I'd shank it or miss the thing.

Lately I can see I was a flip hooker of the ball as getting to this toe down position means I mash the crap out of it with a touch of fade.....

Great video

The "Hawk video" is spectacular. I have been experimenting all week on the range with DT and Hogan approach on this.

I have always had trouble adding enough hip bump, having too fast a transition, and having a kind of spin-out move through the ball. I have been understanding my kind of double move through the ball and reading the Garcia tumble thread again with a fresh eye. (Welshdentist's comments make a ton of sense)

So here's my thought. Just as a too open a face causes all sorts of adjustments that go into being a slicer, not getting the face closed early enough and understanding how closed that needs to be can actually force a fairly decent golfer into that spin-out, fast, and poor transition, little hip bump, too open move. And one of my patches for that was tending to move to an ever stronger grip made my double move through the ball, working the club under late, harder to pull off.

The Garcia tumble thread/single-move vs. double move thing though the ball is actually something I get in a more practical way now.

Last edited:

leon

New
Another great video, and makes me realise I need to go back and watch nsa again.

Not to start the same argument again, but its funny that Hogan was so open at last parallel and slammed it shut (high roc) yet is considered by some as the best ballstriker of all time. Seems the 'Furyk' hypothesis may not be right after all :)

And more video teasing from Brian in this thread. You slag!

Last edited:
I have found happiness with the "right hand wipe" ( Mr. Shields ) sprinkled with some "Right Ass Back" (Art) has worked wonders for me.
I never realized how open my clubface has been at last parallel after all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.