Calling Mandrin

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your opinion, how far into the downswing should you not try to add "positive torque". I know that positive torque, no torque, and negative torque have been discussed and you have posted some info. about this topic. However, based on your last thread about "Hanging on & Letting Go" it basically states that all the work in the downswing is done relatively early and then you hang on and let things happen. Just looking for further information on this topic.

In your opinion, how far into the downswing should you not try to add "positive torque". I know that positive torque, no torque, and negative torque have been discussed and you have posted some info. about this topic. However, based on your last thread about "Hanging on & Letting Go" it basically states that all the work in the downswing is done relatively early and then you hang on and let things happen. Just looking for further information on this topic.
libro,

You probably noticed it is not easy anymore to get a discussion going on this forum, the bigger it gets the more it seems to become an everlasting flood of quick questions thrown into the pile with the hope someone will furnish the magic response. :) Nothing new but there are as many golf swings as there are golfers and what ever gets the job done gets the job done. That being said one can still ask the question what would be kind of an optimum way of going about the torques in down swing. Should one use a steady effort from the shoulders, or perhaps start very slowly and be more explosive closer to impact. Or why not, really try to bend the shaft from the very start but let go and free wheel through impact. Idem for the wrist torque. Should one simply strive for a negative retaining torque throughout the whole down swing. Or at some point in the down swing reverse the wrist torque and apply a vigorous positive wrist torque closer to impact.

Let’s first take a very general view. A golfer consists of many parts. They are all virtually at rest when the down swing starts. At impact they usually are in motion, primarily some form of rotation about various axes. Just a thought experiment. Imagine all of the golfer’s parts have regained zero velocity at impact. Well, since energy can’t disappear it has to go some where and likely it has gone towards the shaft and club head. Not quite realistic but still food for thought. On the other hand if the golfer has many fast moving parts through impact one can expect intuitively that he is not very efficient. The energy employed to get these parts moving is not available for the club head. Hence just using some common sense we are immediately start flirting with the matter of kinetic chain leading to questioning of to what extend one or more parts slowing down produce, for a given effort expended, greater club head velocity.

Often there is confusion when this is invoked. Does it simply occur or is it a deliberate action. In a typical kinetic chain, especially when there are progressively lighter masses towards the distal end, this occurs automatically. However one still can go with the stream or against it. Also closely mixed in with this all is the matter of clubhead path and orientation. Perhaps an inefficient swing allows a particular golfer to get more consistently correct club head path and alignments and hence more distance and accuracy. Nothing is easy in golf. There is also a feel aspect with can easy obscure matters. At the top it is easy to identify torque but it is a totally different matter to feel it distinctly with the club moving at maximum speed though impact. Many will perhaps feel to ‘torque’ when they are likely just ‘hanging’ on.

libro, give me some time - using the double pendulum model I will try to give it a bit more formal mathematical formulation.

Thanks for the information. I will be looking forward to the double pendulum model and equation you are working on.
libro,

There being seemingly no interest, my motivation for spending precious time and posting on the subject has dwindled away. If however your desire for knowledge gets unbearably strong I suggest you direct your questions to Bronco Billy. Good luck which your, hopefully, new found knowledge. :D :D

I don't know why more people are not interested in this subject. Maybe they were waiting for you to put up the next post on this subject of torque. I understand that your time is valuable and if more people are not interested then maybe you shouldn't post. However, I will not be asking Bronco Billy any questions. No offense to BB. It's just that I think your information is more valuable and also correct.

I personally really enjoy everything posted by Mandrin...I'm just not that smart and it takes me quite a while to digest the information. Then I don't have anything to say because once the info is digested it all makes sense to me and can't ask a question that I feel that Mandrin hasn't thought about or covered already.

I personally really enjoy everything posted by Mandrin...I'm just not that smart and it takes me quite a while to digest the information. Then I don't have anything to say because once the info is digested it all makes sense to me and can't ask a question that I feel that Mandrin hasn't thought about or covered already.
vjsinger,

I really do appreciate your comments. However one always has the choice with a few words to let know that one is interested or having problems understanding. I do spend indeed considerable time on these scientific posts. Contrary to many nowadays who live and die using uniquely “copy_paste_thinking”, and assume every one else is doing likewise, I actually do my own thing, and that takes plenty of time. There are indeed those on golf forums who use science as a means to boost there little ego and hence quickly get quite annoying but I just happen to like science and golf and willing to share my thoughts but I simply have no interest simply talking to myself. ;)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I'll take my shot at it, and Mandrin can correct me.

I know how you feel, Mandrin.

Sometimes, the interest just isn't there.

When I sang, the more people that were in the bar, and the more people paying attention to me, the better I sang. :D

So, here is my shot at Jon (libro's) question.

From the top you use PULLING FORCE, from the ground up as you move toward the ground somewhat.

As the shaft gets to VERTICAL for the last time pre-impact, you start adding PUSHING FORCE with the right arm and the wrists and hands.

As you come "out of the ground" and pull away from the ball somewhat, you use this opposing force to stop as many components as you can, as fast as you can, as near to impact as you can.

How did I do?

I know how you feel, Mandrin.

Sometimes, the interest just isn't there.

When I sang, the more people that were in the bar, and the more people paying attention to me, the better I sang. :D

So, here is my shot at Jon (libro's) question.

From the top you use PULLING FORCE, from the ground up as you move toward the ground somewhat.

As the shaft gets to VERTICAL for the last time pre-impact, you start adding PUSHING FORCE with the right arm and the wrists and hands.

As you come "out of the ground" and pull away from the ball somewhat, you use this opposing force to stop as many components as you can, as fast as you can, as near to impact as you can.

How did I do?
Brian,

True, as for your singing, it is through a variety of opinions, both 'good' and 'bad', that inspiration comes about and not by talking to oneself. Brian, you put me in a position where I don't claim any real expertise, that of a real swing of a real golfer. I have always been very careful to separate theory/physics from golf instruction. However, being asked, I do I like your description of the down swing.

In a few words you have touched upon many aspects of the down swing. Bottom up approach to generate starting torque, combined with a gentle vertical squatting motion. Combining left and right side of body in proper sequence, (swinging/hitting). A bit of pulling up and inward to squeeze a bit more club head speed out of the swing, combined with optimizing kinetic chain efficiency. Hence, at least on paper, a pretty good swing. You did very well. You passed. :D

With regard to libro's question I had started to have a closer look at the torque created by the body through the two arms. If you think of swinging as a pulling motion from the lead shoulder and hitting as an extension from the trail arm there is a distinction to be made. There is a difference which makes pulling efficient till the lead arm is about horizontal (shaft vertical) and hitting more appropriate from thereon. More to come on this. That there are still those who think swinging and hitting to be totally incompatible in a down swing is truly surprising.

BTW, did you have much success trying to teach deliberately to augment kinetic efficiency as you alluded to in some past post?

Ok, so." the swing is a blend of "hitting" and "swinging". Also, your last post is basically the science of when to use the two methods during the swing. However, in a "feel" vs. the "science" of the swing it would be best to create the kinetic energy early in the downswing and then "Hang on/let go" as you have posted in the past, correct? This hitting and swinging at different points during the swing is basically "happening" without conscious manipulation due to the speed at which things happen during a full golf swing?

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on this thread. Jon.

Ok, so." the swing is a blend of "hitting" and "swinging". Also, your last post is basically the science of when to use the two methods during the swing. However, in a "feel" vs. the "science" of the swing it would be best to create the kinetic energy early in the downswing and then "Hang on/let go" as you have posted in the past, correct? This hitting and swinging at different points during the swing is basically "happening" without conscious manipulation due to the speed at which things happen during a full golf swing?

Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on this thread. Jon.
Jon,

Intuitively I feel that more detailed measurements of golf swings will not straight forwardly lead to clarity. Perhaps even more confusion before the dust settles. For instance, Dr. Nesbit claims to measure acceleration of the hands of pros during impact but Dr. Grober's measurements don't agree, actually measuring deceleration.

There are kind of two approaches. Simplification to the bare essentials and analyzing the swing with simple double or triple pendulum mathematical models or an approach such as by Dr. Nesbit, making extensive measurements and applying inverse dynamics using sophisticated models.

I have to dig into this to quantify it, which takes time, but I do believe that an efficient swing really consists of two consecutive parts, a active phase (yang) followed by a more passive phase (yin). Efficient implying that for a given amount of work expended by the golfer he gets the maximum possible amount of kinetic energy into the clubhead. However this does not necessarily imply that an efficient swing produces maximum possible clubhead speed for a particular golfer. ;)

Truly an exciting and interesting subject. Here is what I know..Using a "feel" of pushing with the trail arm when the shaft is at last vertical in the through swing AND "feeling" a stop at collision has helped my game over the last couple of weeks more than any other feel/swing thought that I use. This for me, makes me extremely happy. I do have questions....about swings and efficiency though. I wonder if Vijay Singh feels the same things as vjsinger... I already know who is more efficient;), but why??, Why does his trail hand come off more than other players in the through swing? Is he more efficent, or is he maximizing efficiency for him..if not, how do we know?? Whew.. Difficult subject indeed....Thanks for your hard work Mandrin. I look forward to asking more questions and making my little coconut work harder in the future.

Bronco Billy

Do You Believe Braking(Slowing of Hands) is Necessary for a Release to Occur? Thanks.

Jon,

Intuitively I feel that more detailed measurements of golf swings will not straight forwardly lead to clarity. Perhaps even more confusion before the dust settles. For instance, Dr. Nesbit claims to measure acceleration of the hands of pros during impact but Dr. Grober's measurements don't agree, actually measuring deceleration.

There are kind of two approaches. Simplification to the bare essentials and analyzing the swing with simple double or triple pendulum mathematical models or an approach such as by Dr. Nesbit, making extensive measurements and applying inverse dynamics using sophisticated models.

I have to dig into this to quantify it, which takes time, but I do believe that an efficient swing really consists of two consecutive parts, a active phase (yang) followed by a more passive phase (yin). Efficient implying that for a given amount of work expended by the golfer he gets the maximum possible amount of kinetic energy into the clubhead. However this does not necessarily imply that an efficient swing produces maximum possible clubhead speed for a particular golfer. ;)

'swinging to a point'

Truly an exciting and interesting subject. Here is what I know..Using a "feel" of pushing with the trail arm when the shaft is at last vertical in the through swing AND "feeling" a stop at collision has helped my game over the last couple of weeks more than any other feel/swing thought that I use. This for me, makes me extremely happy. I do have questions....about swings and efficiency though. I wonder if Vijay Singh feels the same things as vjsinger... I already know who is more efficient;), but why??, Why does his trail hand come off more than other players in the through swing? Is he more efficent, or is he maximizing efficiency for him..if not, how do we know?? Whew.. Difficult subject indeed....Thanks for your hard work Mandrin. I look forward to asking more questions and making my little coconut work harder in the future.
vjsinger,

I don't recall how many years ago, let's say about 6, a very clever and golf knowledgeable person, developed a very interesting concept which might be of interest to you. He coined his concept, 'swinging to a point'. Put the ensemble arms/club in the ideal position, prior to impact, and form a clear image of it. Now in your minds eye you see yourself vividly swinging only to this particular position and perhaps rehearse it slowly. Then you just proceed normally with your down swing. Hence you don't try consciously to brake but let your mental imagery rule the game. Give it a try, very interesting approach. It is all in the mind. :cool:

It seems that you want to ask me something but all I can see in your post is a point.

You want to find out how many angels can dance on the point of a very fine needle?

Or perhaps gone completely overboard and consider yourself to be the Omega Point?

So what problems can arise if you use your right arm BEFORE you get to vertical?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
So what problems can arise if you use your right arm BEFORE you get to vertical?

Not "use" the right arm, but PUT FORCE ACROSS THE SHAFT, something you can do with either arm/hand.

So....

If you PUT FORCE ACROSS THE SHAFT too soon, or too late, you lose potential speed.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
It seems that you want to ask me something but all I can see in your post is a point.

You want to find out how many angels can dance on the point of a very fine needle?

Or perhaps gone completely overboard and consider yourself to be the Omega Point?

Mandrin, Bronco Billy likes to respond in the post headers and not in the post itself.

He asked "Do You Believe Braking(Slowing of Hands) is Necessary for a Release to Occur? Thanks."

Status
Not open for further replies.