Calvin Peete

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was so accurate because he could control his clubpath and face angle at impact consistently. Probably less than 1* for each. How he did it? Probably had great internal timing. Not the answer that I would want to hear, but at some point timing comes into play and we're all different.

Dude had a Playing Lessons when he was like 60, probably older. He still kills Sawgrass. Straight down the middle, greens all day. Said he became a scratch golfer in 2 years and got out in tour in 5 I believe. Pretty damn good for someone who wasn't terribly privileged and had to grow up forced to play terrible "colored people" courses. He said he really only thought about tempo.

He also said he never liked to take much of a divot and preferred to stand up a little taller.

Last edited:

fadegolfer

Yeah, but he had that bent left arm and wrist at impact. Some on the lunatic fringe would say flip.

Yeah i noticed in that slowmotion swing at 8:10 it looks like his left wrist is bent at impact. i dont think anyone could say he was flipping at it though, he seems to pivot through nicely

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Yeah i noticed in that slowmotion swing at 8:10 it looks like his left wrist is bent at impact. i dont think anyone could say he was flipping at it though, he seems to pivot through nicely

I agree that he doesn't flip, but think again about nobody thinking he does.

Hello Kevin, about 75% into the clip he started hitting some irons and I noticed that he barely took any divots.

In your experience/teaching, is there any association/correlation between angle of attack and resultant divot depth (or even length)?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Dariusz J.

any opinion on his swing and why he was so accurate?

Lack of crossover release (slap-hinge instead) and low plane mid-downswing to mid-follow through (with EEP) - as the vast majority of the most accurate ballstrikers had. He also had a great Hoganesque weight shift watching FO.

Cheers

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Hello Kevin, about 75% into the clip he started hitting some irons and I noticed that he barely took any divots.

In your experience/teaching, is there any association/correlation between angle of attack and resultant divot depth (or even length)?

Thanks.

Depends on the turf condition and the length of club (17th at Sawgrass has very tight turf), but the most consistent striker don't bang down on a divot all that much. That isn't to imply that you need to just swipe the grass to be a good striker, there most certainly be a divot. In remembering at least one of your daughters swings, there is no reason why she should be taking a divot of any size.

In remembering at least one of your daughters swings, there is no reason why she should be taking a divot of any size.

You read my mind, Kevin. That is exactly the case and I have always wondered if she should take deeper divots even though she hits straight...

Impressive deduction!

In remembering at least one of your daughters swings, there is no reason why she should be taking a divot of any size.

You read my mind, Kevin. That is exactly the case and I have always wondered if she should take deeper divots even though she hits straight...

Impressive deduction!

Lack of crossover release (slap-hinge instead) and low plane mid-downswing to mid-follow through (with EEP) - as the vast majority of the most accurate ballstrikers had. He also had a great Hoganesque weight shift watching FO.

Cheers

Dariusz -

Does the slap hinge release get labeled a "flip"?

Also, what is "EEP"?

Dariusz J.

Dariusz -

Does the slap hinge release get labeled a "flip"?

Also, what is "EEP"?

ad.1 -- yes, sometimes but not very wisely; "flip" is an error, i.e. premature losing angles before contact.
I have heard also a crossover release labelled as "flip" though more than once which makes the case even more ridiculous fore those who use this term wrongly.

ad.2. -- early elbow plane.

Cheers

ad.1 -- yes, sometimes but not very wisely; "flip" is an error, i.e. premature losing angles before contact.
I have heard also a crossover release labelled as "flip" though more than once which makes the case even more ridiculous fore those who use this term wrongly.

ad.2. -- early elbow plane.

Cheers

How does one know when a flip happens? Where does the premature losing of the angles occur in the swing.

P.S. Empty your mailbox on this site. It's full.

Dariusz J.

How does one know when a flip happens? Where does the premature losing of the angles occur in the swing.

P.S. Empty your mailbox on this site. It's full.

Well, when the clubhead's (sweetspot's) arc goes up earlier (before contact) than the desired arc of the clubhead (sweetspot) for a given loft. Where ? wrists area mainly.

Cheers

P.S. Already emptied it, thanks and sorry.

Well, when the clubhead's (sweetspot's) arc goes up earlier (before contact) than the desired arc of the clubhead (sweetspot) for a given loft. Where ? wrists area mainly.

Cheers

P.S. Already emptied it, thanks and sorry.

Not sure if I follow you. I believe most people talk about a flip at impact and whether the left wrist is "cupped" at impact (many say that a flip happens even if the left wrist cups afterwards). I'm not sure that type of definition is correct. Do you have a video that might show me what you're trying to communicate is a flip?

Dariusz J.

Not sure if I follow you. I believe most people talk about a flip at impact and whether the left wrist is "cupped" at impact (many say that a flip happens even if the left wrist cups afterwards). I'm not sure that type of definition is correct. Do you have a video that might show me what you're trying to communicate is a flip?

If the left wrist flexes after contact it is not a flip, because it is not an error - the ball is being struck well. As said before, if it happens before contact it is an error because it affects how the ball is going to be hit (suboptimal way). The ball does not care how long after separation the wrist flexes. Watch e.g. Wild Bill here - this is not a flip because his wrist started to flex after a probably very pure contact:

Now, if the frame no.15 happened when the ball was still on the ground, it would have been a flip (error) and the ball would have been topped. Such a flipper usually would have moved the ball back before next shot to prevent topping and probably would have hit it fat.
But it is better if you ask real instructors here to explain such issues, they would do it better than myself.
I just referred to Peete and common denominators of great accurate ballstrikers. You see them with push release, sometimes with slap-hinge one but never with crossover one.

Cheers

Hello Dariusz,,you referred it as a left wrist flex. Do you mean left wrist extension, aka, opposite of palmer flexion?

Status
Not open for further replies.