Calvin Peete

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you Daviusz. So with the type of swing that you recommend, the optimal way is to have left wrist dorsi flexion?

Dariusz J.

Thank you Daviusz. So with the type of swing that you recommend, the optimal way is to have left wrist dorsi flexion?

No. This type of release is also timing-dependent (albeit much less than crossover) and in another plane (crossover in horizontal = loft does not change, face angle does - while - slap-hinge in vertical = loft changes but clubface stays relatively square to the arc). The best and least timing-dependent of the three is push release (neither loft nor angle changes) that would require losing the angles later in the follow through.
Having said it I wish to stress that these are only three possible models (clubhead can stay square or rotate around vertical or horizontal axis - there is no other possibility) - but in reality, there are rarely pure models but rather mixed types. The most important for accuracy and repeatability is to limit the possibility of crossover release elements to occur.

Hope that helps, cheers.

Last edited:
Not only helpful but interesting, but at times confusing given the format of communication and terminology interpretation.

Does cross over mean more of a rolling motion?

To get a better sense what you like the best, which known player impact the way you like? Thanks!

Dariusz J.

Not only helpful but interesting, but at times confusing given the format of communication and terminology interpretation.

Does cross over mean more of a rolling motion?

To get a better sense what you like the best, which known player impact the way you like? Thanks!

ad.1. Yes, crossover release type is being known as rollover as well. Typical for goat humpers and pivot stallers.

ad.2. Post-secret Hogan and all great ballstrikers who were able to keep the clubface square to the arc as long as possible before and after contact.

Cheers

Why do goat humpers and pivot stallers (i.e., me) like the roll release? The power? I get my hands up in my backswing, not around, and roll my hands through and time the closing of my face. A herniated disc at L5-S1 doesn't allow me to twist against my lower body, that will never happen unless I want to drop to the ground. The flatter I go the weirder it feels to me.

Dariusz J.

Why do goat humpers and pivot stallers (i.e., me) like the roll release? The power? I get my hands up in my backswing, not around, and roll my hands through and time the closing of my face. A herniated disc at L5-S1 doesn't allow me to twist against my lower body, that will never happen unless I want to drop to the ground. The flatter I go the weirder it feels to me.

Because one of the main pivot stall consequences is throwing arms in front of the body while losing the humera/main body pressure and premature straightening of the rear arm. The kinetic chain is being released practically independently on the main body motion (that's why it is tough to keep everything in synch) and the natural consequence is crossover of forearms. It is worth noting here also (what is not commonly known biokinetic phenomenon) that straightened rear arm permits for more rotation (the sum of RoM in joints is bigger).
Goat humping (losing tush) usually accompanies this scenario.

Cheers

Because one of the main pivot stall consequences is throwing arms in front of the body while losing the humera/main body pressure and premature straightening of the rear arm. The kinetic chain is being released practically independently on the main body motion (that's why it is tough to keep everything in synch) and the natural consequence is crossover of forearms. It is worth noting here also (what is not commonly known biokinetic phenomenon) that straightened rear arm permits for more rotation (the sum of RoM in joints is bigger).
Goat humping (losing tush) usually accompanies this scenario.

Cheers

Thanks. I'm probably stuck with my swing since I've done it the same for 25+ years. I can time the shot pretty decent and play competitively. Don't know if I could biomechanically accept in my brain another system. Under pressure I would resort to humpin and stalling.

Status
Not open for further replies.