Charl Shwartzel takes relief?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any thoughts on Shwartzel taking relief here? Obviously the official was right there and allowed it. He was kinda looking at him like he had two heads though.

I had heard about this but hadn't seen it. I'm guessing that this video was heavily edited because there was quite a bit of an uproar and from this video, I don't see the big deal over it.

3JACK

You guys don't think the sprinkler head on the left was in the way of a layup shot?

I do feel he could hit a layup shot without issue if he wanted to. Seems he just wanted to take advantage of a drop, if he could, so that he would have a better lie and go for it in 2.

I had heard about this but hadn't seen it. I'm guessing that this video was heavily edited because there was quite a bit of an uproar and from this video, I don't see the big deal over it.

3JACK

Well the whole process took about 10 minutes. The official had him take a practice stroke to the left of the sprinkler heads to see if he would hit it and he just brushed the grass, but he claimed he was afraid he would catch the edge of the sprinkler well. He was like 240 out so he wasn't going to be taking a big divot. It just didn't look good. When he took the actual shot, he barely even bruised the fairway grass. I thought it really just looked like he wanted a better lie and stance. Maybe he really was worried about hurting himself, but it definitely looked questionable. It was one of those situations where it didn't seem to me like he was following the spirit of the rules, although he was following them as written. Nicklaus and Faldo in the booth both seemed to think he wasn't entitled to relief, but I don't know that they came right out and said it.

Sometimes you can use the rules to your advantage. However, if he hits the shot, takes the divot, and runs into the plastic surrounding the sprinkler head - under the ground - rips his wrist up and ruins his career - you get the picture. Secondly, as a player if the mere fact that I might hit something under the ground associated with the spinkler which creates doubt in my mind and how I might swing through the shot - should that be reason enough to get a drop - realizing that the spinkler head shouldn't affect my shot at all as it's a man made object. I can see his perspective from those issues - and don't necessarily think it was a gross over-use of the rules for a better lie and stance based on no other reason than to get a better lie and stance.

It seems within the grey area of the rule that they showed, the dip in the ground caused by the sprinkler head could be enough reason to entitle him to a drop, as I understood it.

I think there are two things in play here, one was he going to hit it, two did he think he could hit it.

There was no way he was going to hit it, but he thought he could hit it so it was mentally causing a problem for him.

I think this is a real grey area and its up to the player so I am not going to be too critical but certainly there are going to be players who viewed that as a bit sketchy.

ZAP

New
It seems a little shaky but without being there I have no idea. It did seem like the official was trying to talk him out of it a little.

I can't imagine Charl would be so silly as to ask for a drop in front of the cameras when he clealy wasn't entitled to one. He was nervous about injuring himself IMO.

All this stuff about shallow divot depth with his shot from the fairway is irrelevant simply because it was a different lie in EVERY respect. He may well have caught the edge of the sprinkler and ended his 200 million dollar career. Only a fool wouldn't have taken that chance.

Come on... He axed for relief (I've seen way worse "asks" btw), he was granted relief. I'll take possible raised eyebrow over possible injury every time.

Yeah, from that video I don't see the big deal. I think the chances of him getting injured are slim, but I'd rather be as averse to possibly risking injury as I can if I'm running a tournament. And if he hits the sprinkler, doesn't get injured, but ruins the sprinkler...who knows what the sprinkler could do. Sounds crazy, but when DLIII busted the sprinkler at Bay Hill years ago, I don't think anybody expected that to flood like it did.

I don't think players should badger officials into anything, but I think the ruling to drop was very reasonable.

3JACK

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
The official obviously did not understand the Dplane and that intended inside out impact would have hit the ball 100 yard left and in the water.

Give me a break, Tom Watson's reputation as a needler is unmatched on the PGA Tour. Its also been said the Watson won a couple of majors with non-conforming groves in his irons.

Gary Player had a six stroke lead when he teed it up on the 71st hole of the 74 Open Championship. Not that Player would, but hardly any need to cheat.

Peter Kessler did an extensive interview on the Golf Channel with video of the incident at the '74 Open Championship (where Rabbit Dyer found Player's ball seconds before he would have had to declare it lost), nothing definitive was ever produced to disprove his credibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.