Closed Out-Toss helped me

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say you had to remember to finish the swing, did you try to do anything different with the pivot?

What does the "closed" part refer to? --the club face?-- the shoulder turn?

Thanks Kevin.

I think I understand what you mean by the correct hand path, but just to clarify do you mean more vertical as in "replacing the left arm"?

and

Were there any suggestions for his pivot?

Wish you guys were closer here on the left coast because I need some of what Topdad got!

In my "better" swing I am performing the out toss by imagining a wall behind me and am uncocking the club going palm down (right hand). To me this felt like a super-shut clubface; but it lets me have a chance of getting my hands "to the ball."

Tophdad..I am enjoying your success....well done....the differences in your wrist position in follow through are staggering.

Can we talk more about the CLOSED dimension of your new out-toss. During the downswing, this super-shut club face would feel/look like the club face is facing DOWN (towards ball) as opposed to facing AWAY?

Is this what Brian was talking about at 22:55 in the "Ideas" video? Specifically, if you're having problems with a slice, you want to out toss more to the right and the face more pointed down?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Thanks Kevin.

I think I understand what you mean by the correct hand path, but just to clarify do you mean more vertical as in "replacing the left arm"?

and

Were there any suggestions for his pivot?

Wish you guys were closer here on the left coast because I need some of what Topdad got!

That's the beauty. He has a head start obviously because of his lesson taking past. No suggestions on pivot, hand path into ball, nothing. If someone has a bad preparation for the strike, it will look like garbage. If they do the right thing before the club gets vertical for the last time, they have a chance.

Tophdad, any down the line shots?

Kevin - I don't have any DTL shots of the improved swing. I'll shoot some and post them as soon as I can.

Geoff - yes, it feels like the club face is looking more towards the ball (turned off the plane), as opposed to laying on the plane like before

Dschultz - I wasn't tossing it further right like you mention; I wasn't fighting a slice. Actually I was fighting being underplane and still might be swinging too far from the inside. I have to get some DTL video. The the direction I'm feeling the toss is pretty neutral I'd say; but definitely right palm going down.

... Actually I was fighting being underplane and still might be swinging too far from the inside. I have to get some DTL video. The the direction I'm feeling the toss is pretty neutral I'd say; but definitely right palm going down.

Looking at the montage video you posted on youtube it looks like you were really rotating the left arm and getting the club way inside, I could see how you were struggling with an open face and being underplane...The swing is starting to look really good with your upgrades, keep up the good work!

This reminds me of the Coke Machine and twist-away in COFF.

Also, your out-toss seems to help you get to your "left" side sooner. Compare 0:08 (before) to 0:09 (after). No question applying the out-toss to the Coke Machine plus the twist moves you onto your "left" side sooner, IMHO. Works for me too.

Last edited:
For me, the out-toss requires the twist (or gamma torque per Nesbit). Rather than throwing the club head into the top rack of the Coke machine, the twist puts the face of the club on the Coke machine without going through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.