Club Path Help. With Video and Trackman

Status
Not open for further replies.

eoscar

Alright so we got a good player here (2010 Horizon League Individual Champion, Runner Up 2010 GAM Women's Championship). Based on her video and trackman numbers her path seems to be an issue. So the question isn't so much what needs to be fixed but how to fix it. She has been trying to correct the path for awhile now with little success.

Anybody got any suggestions? (She has tried the generic stuff like hit the inside half of the ball, swing to right field etc.)

TRACKMAN Numbers (Driver)

Clubspeed: 92.4
Attack Angle: 3.6
Club Path: -7.0
VSP: 51.5
HSP: -4.2
Dyn Loft: 14.5
Face Ange: -2.3
Ball Speed: 137.6
Smash: 1.49
Vert Angle 13.0
Horizontal Angle: -3.0
Spin Rate: 2279
Spin Axis: 7.7
Max Height: 22.8
Carry: 223.1
Side: -3.5
Flight Time: 5.50
Landing Angle: 31.2
Length: 257.4
Side: -3.4

I believe she is hitting an 8 iron in the videos below.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xC7CY5uZ39E?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xC7CY5uZ39E?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRHcxMhsImU?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yRHcxMhsImU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited:
What happens if she tries to make a much more SD backswing?

Looks to me (and I'm no expert) that in her current backswing the club only goes in a little bit before going way way up. At the top she's on a very steep plane. From there she's either going to have to make a plane-shift down (which she doesn't really do) or come outside to in (which she does do).

The SD backswing would get the club going much more in and probably put her in a position at the top from which should come at the ball more from the inside, without making a bunch of big compensation moves. But you certainly can't just make the backswing she is currently making and then "swing to right field."

It will be interesting to hear from the instructors.

I'm not one, but it is obvious to me that with a stance that
wide she really can't pivot back, and turn through with her lower
body leading. That's for an 8 iron! Imagine her stance for Driver.
Probably the same width.

Upper body dominated swing. No footwork. No lower body drive.

Last edited:
As for Trackman numbers, I'd like to see her HSP on the positive side, besides that I dont see any "bad" numbers.

What are her lie angles in her irons?

eoscar

As for Trackman numbers, I'd like to see her HSP on the positive side, besides that I dont see any "bad" numbers.

What are her lie angles in her irons?

She has the 2008 Titleist AP2's. I think she was fit into them 1.5 degree flat. So that puts the 6 iron at 61 degrees.

As for Trackman numbers, I'd like to see her HSP on the positive side, besides that I dont see any "bad" numbers.?

euhhh I would call clubpath -7 (outside-in) face angle -2.3 (closed) bad or not? :confused:

Face open to clubpath but closed to target, major side spin on the ball (axis 7.7) ....pull fade....

Really like the spin, launch angle (maybe 1 degree lower to max on distance) and smash.

I agree with what has already been said by fronesis and softconsult.

It's going to be difficult to get to the inside of the ball with a hand path/left arm that is that far out in the backswing. The face on pivot also looks restricted.

I would suggest trying to narrow the stance slightly with more turn going back, along with getting the hands to work more in during the takeaway.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The Fix.

What happens if she tries to make a much more SD backswing?

I would go STRAIGHT SOFT DRAW PATTERN for this golfer.

Right off the video.

As for Trackman numbers, I'd like to see her HSP on the positive side

HSP Positive???

Wanna make her a hooker?

euhhh I would call clubpath -7 (outside-in) face angle -2.3 (closed) bad or not? :confused:

Face open to clubpath but closed to target, major side spin on the ball (axis 7.7) ....pull fade....

Really like the spin, launch angle (maybe 1 degree lower to max on distance) and smash.

Most knowledgeable 110 shooter of ALL TIME.

how about some hip turn and pivot action. Narrow the stance a bit and "Pop" it with the pivot baby!

Last edited:

Pull fades aren't good and you won't get much Swing Speed out of them and controlling the low point ain't easy doing that either...very few people are Lietzke. You're better off hitting a push fade of sorts, ala Trevino, Couples, Nicklaus and others. Of course, Trackman can't really measure them hitting a push fade because they are aiming left and pushing it a tad of where they are aiming and fading it back to the target. Here we can see this girl's swing and she's aimed at the target so she's truly pull fading it.

I'd work on the takeaway first and probably try to flatten the backswing because I think it's too upright for her to handle. I'd narrow the stance just a tad, but not too much because she's got to get the weight to her left side, so if she made a narrow stance she would never get the weight to the left side and just spin out all of the time. The narrow stance would make it easier for her to spin and hit the ball, but certainly isn't ideal. Also should flare out the feet at address to allow the hips to more more freely.

3JACK

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
As long as she has the entire left arm and grip situation she will forever reverse rotate her left arm wedge into the ball. Hence the drag left.

Kevin Shields As long as she has the entire left arm and grip situation she will forever reverse rotate her left arm wedge into the ball. Hence the drag left.
Kevin,

Would a weaker left hand/right hand grip be a good place to start?

Matt

As long as she has the entire left arm and grip situation she will forever reverse rotate her left arm wedge into the ball. Hence the drag left.

I see the same thing. I think she does exactly what she needs to do to play effectively with her set up.

She's a good player with in spite of her action.

I'd love to get her left hand on vertical, teach her how to pivot, rotate her forearm and release that head with her pivot.

That all said, the ball doesn't really care.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Alot of players, good ones or poor ones, who play with that setup under turn, early tilt and work under it. If they dont swing left they"ll undercut everything right. She does them all. Lot of rotation of that clubface past impact for a cutter of the ball, huh? Id also like to see her trackman numbers for an iron.

I would like to hear what caedus/eightiron would do with her.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Pull fades aren't good and you won't get much Swing Speed out of them and controlling the low point ain't easy doing that either...very few people are Lietzke. You're better off hitting a push fade of sorts, ala Trevino, Couples, Nicklaus and others. Of course, Trackman can't really measure them hitting a push fade because they are aiming left and pushing it a tad of where they are aiming and fading it back to the target. Here we can see this girl's swing and she's aimed at the target so she's truly pull fading it.

I'd work on the takeaway first and probably try to flatten the backswing because I think it's too upright for her to handle. I'd narrow the stance just a tad, but not too much because she's got to get the weight to her left side, so if she made a narrow stance she would never get the weight to the left side and just spin out all of the time. The narrow stance would make it easier for her to spin and hit the ball, but certainly isn't ideal. Also should flare out the feet at address to allow the hips to more more freely.

3JACK

All things being equal, why would a pull fade make it harder to control low point? Just curious. I dont know too many people who are thinking push draw when they have a 3 wood off a tight lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.