Club Path Help. With Video and Trackman

Status
Not open for further replies.
All things being equal, why would a pull fade make it harder to control low point? Just curious. I dont know too many people who are thinking push draw when they have a 3 wood off a tight lie.

True,

I'm just talking of the way she does it, with a path well left of where here body is aimed by essentially coming OTT a bit.

3JACK

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Ok, but why would low point be affected in an adverse way? Do you believe lower plane angles, inside out paths and "CF" releases are better for low point control? Or is it the chain of events that usually follows in these patterns? Is skill level a determinent?

euhhh I would call clubpath -7 (outside-in) face angle -2.3 (closed) bad or not? :confused:

Face open to clubpath but closed to target, major side spin on the ball (axis 7.7) ....pull fade....

Really like the spin, launch angle (maybe 1 degree lower to max on distance) and smash.

Ok, an explanation...

Path is -7 because of the combined +3.6 Angle of Attack (desirable) and a -4.2 HSP (Not Desirable for Driver) Dont get me wrong, path is the number that needs to change, but the CAUSE is the H.S.P..

Brian, with all due respect, you of all people know that with a driver you should point that HSP right with an upward attack to hit it straight. Matter of fact, I heard it here first. I'm not trying to make her into a hooker, but will say that slight draw ball flight would be my preference considering her speeds. How many LPGA players or top amateur ladies swing at 92 with a Fade?

As for the -2.3 (closed) face, it is definitely a bit excessive, but my experience with Trackman (yes I use one to teach with, albeit for only about 2 months now) when HSP moves right, the face will also move right. I remember watching Brian teach in Ft. Myers last winter, he was trying to get the student to separate them, if I remember correctly.

Maybe I should have said... if you get her HSP positive while keeping the same attack angle you will improve her true path and face at the same time, oh yea, I think her spin axis may get closer to 0 too (especially if you get the hands lower at impact with those flat lie angles, high hands + flat lies= rightward spin axis).

BTW...
HSP= 3.6 x tan(90-51.5)
HSP = 2.86 for a 0'd true path, thanks Savy.

Yes? No? Maybe So?

Ok, but why would low point be affected in an adverse way? Do you believe lower plane angles, inside out paths and "CF" releases are better for low point control? Or is it the chain of events that usually follows in these patterns? Is skill level a determinent?

No, I don't believe that an inside out path that is very inside to out (let's say +5* or more) control the low point better either. I think her downswing plane is very steep and her handle is quite high at impact. Controlling the amount of right wrist bend can be tricky and thus the low point may move around a bit.

3JACK

....Maybe I should have said... if you get her HSP positive while keeping the same attack angle you will improve her true path and face at the same time....Yes? No? Maybe So?

No, If you hit inside/inside you can still have a negative HSP. It's the path that should be fixed and (while taking into account the AOA) the difference between path and face angle

No, If you hit inside/inside you can still have a negative HSP. It's the path that should be fixed and (while taking into account the AOA) the difference between path and face angle

I think you're missing my point. With a DRIVER and a positive AofA, the HSP must be positive in order for a straight, or zero club path. Seeing that her angle of attack is sufficient, it's the HSP that needs changing. If all you did was try to change path, you could have her hit down on the ball and you could get a zero path. Is a negative AofA desirable for a 92 mph Driver Swing Speed??

I understand your concern for the differential in path to face. My thought is that if you did nothing else but get the HSP positive (to the right), her face would become less negative (closed), just because of where the swing is pointing.

I dont understand what you mean by "if you hit inside/inside you can still have a negative HSP". Inside what? When I refer to HSP and ClubPath there is no inside or outside, it is what it is.

Someone else chime in if I'm off here, but I think what I'm saying is valid.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
No, I don't believe that an inside out path that is very inside to out (let's say +5* or more) control the low point better either. I think her downswing plane is very steep and her handle is quite high at impact. Controlling the amount of right wrist bend can be tricky and thus the low point may move around a bit.

3JACK

Now thats the spirit! Good answer.

I think you're missing my point. With a DRIVER and a positive AofA, the HSP must be positive in order for a straight, or zero club path. Seeing that her angle of attack is sufficient, it's the HSP that needs changing. If all you did was try to change path, you could have her hit down on the ball and you could get a zero path. Is a negative AofA desirable for a 92 mph Driver Swing Speed??

Daniel, No I'm not missing the point but my emphasis in more on path then HSP, that's all. Finall result should be the same for her -> Positive AOA and zero path, square face :D

Frans, how are you going to change path and not HSP, while keeping AofA desirable? What I am getting at is CAUSE of path. There are three major influences on Club Path (concerning TMan) VSP, HSP, AofA. I'm guessing you dont want AofA any less or negative, VSP is already on the vertical side, only other variable is HSP. Voila.

Cause and Effect. For example if someone said, she needs to fix her high hands through impact, well thats great, and I agree, but why are they high? Thats what needs fixin.

As for face, as I've said before, I think it will change with a more positive HSP, matter of fact, it may end up being too open. Remember, according to the data on page 1, her face is open to the path and the HSP. I am not a believer that the golf swing works like plug and chug, change the HSP and face remains the same. Matter of fact, if she changes HSP, not only am I guessing the face will change, so will AofA (more positive) and VSP (less vertical).

The goal is not to make 5 changes to see one improved result, its to make one change to open up for many improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.