Club spec question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would there be such a difference between a titleist ap2 player club 7 iron loft (35 degrees) and a game improvement club of 31 degrees?

What is the standard loft for a 7?

There really are no loft standards for specific clubs. Manufacturer wars over "the longest clubs on the market".

dbl

New
GI makers say that with the weight so low (generally) that the ball goes high, and so to bring the launch down they have to reduce the loft.

I'm not saying that malarkey makes total sense in an overall sense vis a vis a proper set's design, I'm just repeating their rationalization.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Why would there be such a difference between a titleist ap2 player club 7 iron loft (35 degrees) and a game improvement club of 31 degrees?

What is the standard loft for a 7?

So people can tell their buddies that they hit the club with 7 stamped on the bottom when they really hit a 1987 five iron.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
So people can tell their buddies that they hit the club with 7 stamped on the bottom when they really hit a 1987 five iron.

This is part of it but dbl is also correct as well; as COG has become lower and deeper (espeically in a GI iron) you need lower loft otherwise you'd launch the ball too high and spin it too much.

This is part of it but dbl is also correct as well; as COG has become lower and deeper (espeically in a GI iron) you need lower loft otherwise you'd launch the ball too high and spin it too much.

You know why the cg moved down? Because the avg. golfer who select the GI was not able to launch the ball ;) Don't think that that same golfer would "launch it to high and spin it too much" when the loft would have stayed "normal"

The slower swing speeds that often accompany the need for all the above aspects in an iron is usually all the governor you need to reduce backspin. :)

If that's the case, what do you do when you really need the forgiveness of a GI or even a super GI, but your speed dictates that you need something that launches the ball lower with less spin? Flat outta luck?

If that's the case, what do you do when you really need the forgiveness of a GI or even a super GI, but your speed dictates that you need something that launches the ball lower with less spin? Flat outta luck?

Till now never saw a serious swing speed golfer that needed a GI or even a super GI....

Till now never saw a serious swing speed golfer that needed a GI or even a super GI....

:) Hi. My name's Will. Nice to meet you.

Not sure how serious my speed is now, but judging by a lot of the shots I hit this summer, it's higher than the designers had in mind, and higher than it was in February when I got fit for driver. But there's no way that I have any business playing "players" clubs, even though they are largely the clubs designed to flatten the flight and keep the spin manageable, something I had a big problem with this summer. And the lofts on my clubs are pretty strong (45 or 46 deg pw). I'd love to see a head designed to create a "players" flight, with GI or SGI forgiveness.

Last edited:
:) Hi. My name's Will. Nice to meet you.

Not sure how serious my speed is now, but judging by a lot of the shots I hit this summer, it's higher than the designers had in mind, and higher than it was in February when I got fit for driver. But there's no way that I have any business playing "players" clubs, even though they are largely the clubs designed to flatten the flight and keep the spin manageable, something I had a big problem with this summer. And the lofts on my clubs are pretty strong (45 or 46 deg pw). I'd love to see a head designed to create a "players" flight, with GI or SGI forgiveness.

Okay... let's break it down. In your opinion, what are the attributes that make an iron head a GI or SGI head?

images
images
images

Okay... let's break it down. In your opinion, what are the attributes that make an iron head a GI or SGI head?

images
images
images

-Significant weight positioned around the perimeter and especially low in the head.

-larger head size

-significant offset

-sole design that helps prevent excessive digging

-lighter weight

-thicker topline

This is the kind of thing I think of when I think of GI/SGI.

Good list, I'd also add...

Lower and deeper CoGs

Stronger lofts

Usually designed for light weight steel or graphite shafts

These characteristics make me think that distance is the driving "corrective" force behind these designs. Either by weight, by length, by loft, by CoG manipulation, by sole manipulation, or by MOI these designs help neutralize some of the effects of slower swing speeds that would be more pronounced in "less forgiving" designs. Swing issues within the confines of a given swing speed are still going to be present no matter what, but they can somewhat be "helped" by certain design features. There are trade-offs between a club built to accentuate your best shot and one built to help ease the pain of your worse shot. As a general guideline, I think there are more benefits from a club designed around your particular swing speed. Then within that design there are options out there to "help" with the other issues. :)

Good list, I'd also add...

Lower and deeper CoGs

Stronger lofts

Usually designed for light weight steel or graphite shafts

These characteristics make me think that distance is the driving "corrective" force behind these designs. Either by weight, by length, by loft, by CoG manipulation, by sole manipulation, or by MOI these designs help neutralize some of the effects of slower swing speeds that would be more pronounced in "less forgiving" designs. Swing issues within the confines of a given swing speed are still going to be present no matter what, but they can somewhat be "helped" by certain design features. There are trade-offs between a club built to accentuate your best shot and one built to help ease the pain of your worse shot. As a general guideline, I think there are more benefits from a club designed around your particular swing speed. Then within that design there are options out there to "help" with the other issues. :)

So basically, a high speed, high spin, high trajectory, high handicap guy needs to get the most forgiving player's club he can get to have a club designed for his speed, then hit the range so he doesn't suck so much at finding the sweet spot?

So basically, a high speed, high spin, high trajectory, high handicap guy needs to get the most forgiving player's club he can get to have a club designed for his speed, then hit the range so he doesn't suck so much at finding the sweet spot?

Generally speaking, I think he would see more of the benefits from his much coveted skill if he did so.

Status
Not open for further replies.