Club spec question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Generally speaking, I think he would see more of the benefits from his much coveted skill if he did so.

I agree. And I would also explain to him that a higher swing speed would make the ball travel longer and therefore the ball has more time to enjoy the consequences of a spin axis tilt ;)

Last edited:
The whole spin axis thing is huge when it comes to figuring out flight characteristics. Not so long ago it was thought that backspin counteracts sidespin; the more backspin (within reason) the better. Now we know that the spin axis tilts, so a lot of spin in the hands of someone who can't control their face very well is problematic. That said, why wouldn't the recommendation for shafts be "the stiffest you can reasonably handle", rather than the "most flexible shaft you can control" recommendation I've heard and read multiple times? Is that also a distance thing?

Last edited:
So, what elements of clubhead design help mitigate a lack of clubface control? Particularly, I'm thinking of a lack of control rather than an ingrained miss to one side or the other.

why wouldn't the recommendation for shafts be "the stiffest you can reasonably handle", rather than the "most flexible shaft you can control" recommendation I've heard and read multiple times? Is that also a distance thing?

more risk for pain (tendonitis) and fatigue with stiffer shafts.

So, what elements of clubhead design help mitigate a lack of clubface control? Particularly, I'm thinking of a lack of control rather than an ingrained miss to one side or the other.

A lack of control... I'm not sure any do. They can be designed to be more "stable" or less "stable", but many factors go into the over all control of the club head (not the least of which is the skill of the golfer). I would say the club's length and it's weight have more to do with clubface control than the pure elements of its head design.

Here's a question. If you have a head designed to launch it high with a lot of spin, and the player hits it too high and with too much spin, would a shaft change be enough to offset the launch characteristics of that particular head design?

Here's a question. If you have a head designed to launch it high with a lot of spin, and the player hits it too high and with too much spin, would a shaft change be enough to offset the launch characteristics of that particular head design?

never, unless you let me change the balance in the shaft using some serious weights near and below the hands and allow me to use a reall heavy shaft to slow down your swing......And then I would not sell it to you but explain that taking lessons is cheaper then buying that club from me and you need to come back to buy another one the day you start hitting it just a tiny bit different...;)

PS and maybe some extra high density lead tape high at the back on the face etc...

"a head designed to launch high with a lot of spin" - isn't that just a clubhead with lots of loft?

for 2 alternative clubhead designs with the same loft, wouldn't the factors that result in a higher launch actually give lower spin, due to vertical gear effect?

It's like we did with something called the gap wedge. Make the PW 47 degrees, leave the SW alone and create the need for something called a "gap wedge". Same thing with lowering COG, ball goes high, lower the lofts. Or the early metal woods. Lower the CG let's make 5 degree drivers, make the face huge raise the loft.

Status
Not open for further replies.