Clubface control

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale47

New
Living here in Pittsburgh with our lovely weather this time of year,I have plenty of time for practice. I would like some drills on learning to control the club face.

Leek

New
I would buy Never Slice Again 2.0. It will fix you right up. Please understand it really isn't as much about just slicing as it is about over the top too. Also, confessions of a Former Flipper is all about clubface control.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Living here in Pittsburgh with our lovely weather this time of year,I have plenty of time for practice. I would like some drills on learning to control the club face.

Learn to hit right hand only pitches with a bent right wrist and left hand pitches by turning your body and uncocking a flat left wrist. Do them down at the Dome, always 70 degrees.

JeffM

If your usual miss is a pull hook, how do you know whether your problem is a clubface control problem rather than a clubshaft path problem?

Jeff.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Because a clubshaft problem is the result of a clubface problem...normally. Root Causes....Root Causes....Let's quit fixing symptoms.

JeffM

Root causes --Root causes -- I think that a clubshaft problem is not causally connected to a clubface problem, and that there is no necessary causal connection between a clubface problem (cause) and and an effect (clubshaft problem). If you believe otherwise, then you have to present a logical argument.

I believe that a pull hook is usually due to both problems occurring simulataneously - i) an out-to-in clubhead swingpath combined with ii) a closed clubface. They are both problems, but they are not causally connected to each other, although they both causally produce a deleterious ball flight effect (a pull hook).

Jeff.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
If a miss is typically a pull or a pull hook. A lot of times the cause can be the right arm. Try to achieve a more "underhand javelin throw" position with the right arm, many times we as golfers can "impale" ourselves with the javelin. Don't stab yourself. Throw the javelin underhanded. Remember to do this while tracing a straight plane line. IOW, throw your javelin on a straight line (the target line). To do this, you have got to pay attention to your hands. They will need to work more left.....More left than you think.

The pivot plays a big role too. Follow the yellow brick road...but can you do it from a "closed" position. Get your belly button in front of the ball, while keeping your "bowtie" area back.

The one handed chip drill with the right hand only is great, because this also gives you the correct amount of axis tilt.

Also make right hand only full swings and gradually incorporate your left hand on to the club.

Last edited:
Ball Flight Laws

I believe that a pull hook is usually due to both problems occurring simulataneously - i) an out-to-in clubhead swingpath combined with ii) a closed clubface. They are both problems, but they are not causally connected to each other, although they both causally produce a deleterious ball flight effect (a pull hook).

Jeff.

Jeff, for the hook to happen the clubhead must be traveling out to the right of the face angle. A pull would happen when the out to in clubhead path matches the amount the face is closed. I hope this helps.

Jim S.

If a miss is typically a pull or a pull hook. A lot of times the cause can be the right arm. Try to achieve a more "underhand javelin throw" position with the right arm, many times we as golfers can "impale" ourselves with the javelin. Don't stab yourself. Throw the javelin underhanded. Remember to do this while tracing a straight plane line. IOW, throw your javelin on a straight line (the target line). To do this, you have got to pay attention to your hands. They will need to work more left.....More left than you think.

The pivot plays a big role too. Follow the yellow brick road...but can you do it from a "closed" position. Get your belly button in front of the ball, while keeping your "bowtie" area back.

The one handed chip drill with the right hand only is great, because this also gives you the correct amount of axis tilt.

Also make right hand only full swings and gradually incorporate your left hand on to the club.

Hi Coach,

Would it be better to throw the javelin directly at the ball from the top?

if straight down the target line (as opposed to tracing the plane), this could push the right shoulder over plane, and the right arm my come along for the ride, making for the out to in pattern.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Hi Coach,

Would it be better to throw the javelin directly at the ball from the top?

if straight down the target line (as opposed to tracing the plane), this could push the right shoulder over plane, and the right arm my come along for the ride, making for the out to in pattern.

The javelin needs to be thrown forward not down, but remember it is underhanded so you have to position the javelin in such a way that you do not stab yourself with it. This puts the shoulder down plane instead of over plane

Also, you would be tracing a straight plane line. When the javelin is parallel to the target line you release the javelin and the hands work left. Your trying to throw the javelin, not stick it in the ground.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
Root causes --Root causes -- I think that a clubshaft problem is not causally connected to a clubface problem, and that there is no necessary causal connection between a clubface problem (cause) and and an effect (clubshaft problem). If you believe otherwise, then you have to present a logical argument.

Jeff.

So we meet again... ;)

How many lessons have you given to someone who comes over the top?

JeffM

Jim

You write-: "Jeff, for the hook to happen the clubhead must be traveling out to the right of the face angle. A pull would happen when the out to in clubhead path matches the amount the face is closed. I hope this helps."

I agree. What happens in the out-to-in clubhead swingpath, the clubhead is moving out-to-in relative to the ball-target line, but it is still moving out to the right of the face angle because the face angle is very closed if the golfer has a pull-hook problem.

Ryan

I don't know exactly how many lessons I have given to golfers who have an OTT move - probably a few hundred.

Jeff.

dale47

New
My rationale for wanting to control the club face is this. My flight pattern is fairly repeatable,meaning my path must be repeating. Now, if I could control where the face was looking at separation ,would that not be a better option than totally revamping my swing ?

I agree. What happens in the out-to-in clubhead swingpath, the clubhead is moving out-to-in relative to the ball-target line, but it is still moving out to the right of the face angle because the face angle is very closed if the golfer has a pull-hook problem.

Jeff.

A pull hook of that type would be left of earth! lol. You seem to understand the ball flight laws then, no problem. As someone who fights a pull hook as their miss, it wasn't until I learned the true ball flight laws that I was able to improve that miss. If someone believes that the ball starts in the direction the clubhead is swinging and their miss is a pull hook then they get to swinging more right and the ball just moves more left. It gets really ugly, really quick.

Jim S.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Isn't that because underplane = too far to the right...most of the time?

Yeah, so they try to save it by throwing or slinging the head and rapidly closing the face. In fact,I'm not sure i've ever seen a true over the top pull hook. Maybe,but I can't remember.

Status
Not open for further replies.