Club's Offset Influencing Path?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone found a club's offset to demonstrably influence their path? Granted the following is only anecdotal and clearly not scientific by any means but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I play Titleist AP2 irons with relatively minimal offset by today's standards but my miss is a pull hook or block, which suggests a signifcant in-to-out path. The offset always gives me the feeling that I'm aiming the clubface left of the target, so I tend to skew my body lines right which in turn probably further promotes the right-wards path.

To test this theory I pulled out a set of early 80's Maxfli/Dunlop Aussie Blades - which have really minimal offset in the short irons and no offset in the long irons (I know it's reverse of what you would typically expect). While I don't hit them as far, my dispersion is much tighter and I'm able to hit fades much easier.

My results seem to suggest that the visual effect of the club's offset (feeling as though I'm aimed left) signals my brain to swing further to the right. Anyone else noticed this? or have any interesting thoughts/theories?

Thanks,
Joe

Has anyone found a club's offset to demonstrably influence their path? Granted the following is only anecdotal and clearly not scientific by any means but I'm interested to hear if anyone else has had similar experiences.

I play Titleist AP2 irons with relatively minimal offset by today's standards but my miss is a pull hook or block, which suggests a signifcant in-to-out path. The offset always gives me the feeling that I'm aiming the clubface left of the target, so I tend to skew my body lines right which in turn probably further promotes the right-wards path.

To test this theory I pulled out a set of early 80's Maxfli/Dunlop Aussie Blades - which have really minimal offset in the short irons and no offset in the long irons (I know it's reverse of what you would typically expect). While I don't hit them as far, my dispersion is much tighter and I'm able to hit fades much easier.

My results seem to suggest that the visual effect of the club's offset (feeling as though I'm aimed left) signals my brain to swing further to the right. Anyone else noticed this? or have any interesting thoughts/theories?

Thanks,Joe

I can only speak for myself but I agree with the part about messing with your head. I cannot play offset irons to save my life. If I don't see straight lines, I get all messed up and can't tell where the heck I'm aimed. I get lost and my mind goes crazy. The club, all through the bag, has to appeal to my eye and I have to see straight lines ... I'm a little OCD though..ha..ha

I guess this is a, "No S***T Sherlock" thread question. The very purpose of offset is to counteract the most common ball-flight issue: slice. One way to help correct slice is to skew path more right...

Maybe some of the club fitting gurus or club-ho's on the site have seen the phenomenon mentioned in my first post?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
2 things

1) Most people grip offset clubs CLOSED. It almost feels like you have to open the club and then take your grip. I see it allllll the time.
2) Because of COG changes and also offset differences you will have to change ball position as well. Few people don't think to re-learn ball position for a new set due to the offset and cog change.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Jim -

Thanks for the input! I'm sure you were probably anticipating this follow-up: Any tips for accomplishing the above without over cooking it?

Nope, just pay attention and don't be lazy about it. However AP2 really doesn't have that much offset, i'd wager you might be more towards incorrect ball position. But could be both 1 and 2 i mentioned.

I guess this is a, "No S***T Sherlock" thread question. The very purpose of offset is to counteract the most common ball-flight issue: slice. One way to help correct slice is to skew path more right...

Maybe some of the club fitting gurus or club-ho's on the site have seen the phenomenon mentioned in my first post?

Actually offset in irons is mainly to increase trajectory. While offset in woods is marketed for slice correction, it also will increase trajectory in woods as well.

Last edited:
and which paths patterns are available that are still at the right side of the face when the face is closed to the target for the ball flight to be a pull and then at the end turn into a hook?

Suddenly these waters feel deeper than I'm qualified to swim in...
I'll offer that the last time I was on the MATT system the vast majority of my contact was centered. Could have migrated heel-side since then, if that's what you're alluding to.

Fran's I'm glad you chimed in, because I was hoping to hear whether or not you'd ever experienced this phenomenon when fitting customers.

Suddenly these waters feel deeper than I'm qualified to swim in...
I'll offer that the last time I was on the MATT system the vast majority of my contact was centered. Could have migrated heel-side since then, if that's what you're alluding to.

Fran's I'm glad you chimed in, because I was hoping to hear whether or not you'd ever experienced this phenomenon when fitting customers.

I think all Frans is saying is that, with a clubface pointing left of the target, you could have a path that's to the right of the clubface (causing your draw) but which is still a little left of the target.

Status
Not open for further replies.