concensus

Status
Not open for further replies.

joep

New
I`ve ask this question to many golfer both amatuer and professional. "How do you start your backswing". Most say I really dont know. I woild appeciate if I can get some honest answers.

1)..start with my left arm across my chest

2)..break my right wrist back

3)turn my sternum back

4).. use my body

5)..shift weight from left to right

These are some of a few of many. Sooo how do you start your backswing???

Dariusz J.

Going after advices of the greats from the past and through observation of them, I start my backswing with a trigger compression phase (forward press) that builds momentum for the takeaway. All becomes automatic then and requiiring no conscious thoughts a'la "maybe hands ?" "no, shoulders" "naah, hips" "Oh and Hogan said hands" just to give an example of a vicious circle.

I really am clueless why one can see forward press so rarely today. It is so subconscious-right motion to start some physical activities, even everyday ones and not linked to golf.

Cheers

I picture a block of wood behind the club head at address and push it back. Like Brian advocates in soft draw. Seems to help with the sequencing for me.

btp

New
I'd say multiple ways, just like the pivot, swing plane, release and just about anything else to do with golf.

I "throw" the club behind me and to my right. The further I want to hit the ball the harder I throw it. On video it looks like an old-timers move with a lagging clubhead look to it.

Move weight conciously?

5)..shift weight from left to right

Per Manuel de la Torre, the weight should not be transferred to the back foot in the backswing. Moving your weight to the back foot moves the swing’s center and makes returning to impact consistently much more difficult than it has to be. He believes that weight should be equally divided on both feet until after impact when the momentum of the club head pulls your weight onto the lead foot. If you try to consciously transfer your weight, you will likely transfer it too fast, too slowly, too early, or too late. John Jacobs seems to agree and says there is no need to make a conscious weight transfer one way or the other in the golf swing.

Starts with a shoulder turn, keeping the clubhead outside my hands....hopefully.

But I honestly don't think too much about it. I'm mostly trying to get to a point in space/time where I can pull the trigger and make the downswing I've envisioned.

with the conception of the overall feel of the motion I am about to perform.

Leo has said something profound here. Intention will allow the subconscious to perform with less interference. If you've been playing for a while, your body knows how it likes and needs to take it back.

Reading this thread I can't help but be impressed by the standard of posters here. Some great concepts for starting the back swing, many of which I've used myself.

Totally agree with watson08 that consciously transferring is a can of worms, however IMHO you still have to find a way to get yourself over to the right a tad in the early stages of the back swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.