concensus

Status
Not open for further replies.

art

New
I`ve ask this question to many golfer both amatuer and professional. "How do you start your backswing". Most say I really dont know. I woild appeciate if I can get some honest answers.

1)..start with my left arm across my chest

2)..break my right wrist back

3)turn my sternum back

4).. use my body

5)..shift weight from left to right

These are some of a few of many. Sooo how do you start your backswing???

Dear joep,

When starting to post on this informative web site now over 300 ‘posts ago’, I realized how difficult it is to answer others golfers questions succinctly, either from an experiential, or science-based standpoint. So, right up front, I apologize for whatever length this response becomes, BUT I find this area of starting the backswing to be CRUCIAL in establishing a golfers repeatable performance. I also admit to being more of a golf science ‘student’, than a scientist, but the basic definition of ‘knowing and/or seeking knowledge’ allows me to be comfortable with either, and as a student, has encouraged me to review and learn from the research and findings of established scientists.

So, regarding comments on the start of the back swing, in summary, I am indebted to the findings in “Tour Tempo” by John Novosel Sr. and several papers on the ‘dynamics’ of the golf swing by Dr. Robert Grober .Combined, with inputs from a myriad of other research papers, I now hypothesize, and am working on demonstrating/proving that the start and characteristics of the backswing (especially tempo and rhythm) have a great deal in affecting the CRUCIAL characteristics of the dynamics and quality of the down swing.

Some of this is intuitive, for instance, an abnormally jerky and quick back swing out of tempo and rhythm, almost assuredly will result in a very dynamically unstable down swing, but there are some not so intuitive aspects of stretch shorten cycles and reflex reactions that further exacerbate and reduce the quality of the swing.

So now, hoping I inspire you and others to question the above, and want me to expand further in subsequent posts, I will directly answer your question as to how do I start my back swing?

After a few ‘full power, dress rehearsal back and forth practice swings’ TO ESTABLISH AND INTERNALLY RECORD MY TEMPO/RHYTHM, I address the ball and finish the set-up with as expected ‘Bumpy Back’ portion of BBKIB. In moving the rear hip backward (clockwise for a right handed golfer), my lead side reacts with a counterclockwise feeling that flows and sequentially leads me right into the start of the back swing.

AND THIS START is the clockwise rotation of the REAR shoulder complex, moving its scapula towards the spine WITH THE TEMPO/RHYTHM previously established by the dress rehearsal swing(s), and I predict from BBKIB, “Tour Tempo”, and Dr. Grobers work, will result in YOUR dynamically balanced, and repeatable golf swing too.

Sincerely,
art

joep

New
Its still amazing the different backswing starts. Years ago in a golf magazine they listed the different backswings of all the pros on tour. Just like this thread many different types. I seen on on post, brian had said just get your back to the ball. Maybe thats all that matters. What do you think Brian? Thanks for all the replies.. I think I like the forwad press...

I see Art has posted now but I was going to bring up bbkib ... for me it feels like it just sets everything up and just goes on autopilot..

joep

New
ART, when you say bbkib do you go right into the swing or do you bbkib at a stand still position and then start your swing with the right shoulder? thanks

art

New
ART, when you say bbkib do you go right into the swing or do you bbkib at a stand still position and then start your swing with the right shoulder? thanks

Dear joep,

Thanks for the follow-up question.

Yes, the BB should come to a stop (for a 3 count as noted below), and NOT FLOW directly, OR BE PART OF the back swing sequence.

Since TEMPO/RHYTHM, IMO are so intimately attached to dynamic balance, I suggest the tempo you created in the rehearsal swings be repeated for the BB, then simply a forward press as suggested by others, and then the back swing with the right shoulder.

So, with your 'body unique' tempo, it should simply go : "BB-2-3", "forward press-2-3", "back-2-3", "DOWN-2-3", in a WALTZ LIKE RHYTHM, but at YOUR established TEMPO.

Sincerely,
art

joep

New
Thanks art, exactly what I`m looking for I`ts pretty close to what I was doing, but this will complete the way I can take the club back for ME. By the way thanks for explaining it to me in english instead of scientific language...

Status
Not open for further replies.