Couples

Status
Not open for further replies.
If one takes Soft Draw and Never Hook Again 2.0 as the two ends of the spectrum, where would Couples fit it? When I watch his backswing, there is so much pop-out that I think NHA. On his downswing, he seems to drop it inside so far that I think SD.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
You can make an NHA downswing from a soft draw backswing. The depth and width allow for some "carry and drop". Its actually a great pattern. You CANNOT make a soft draw downswing from an "up the wall" (more or less, underturned - like Couples sometimes gets under pressure) backswing. The result usually is a flair slice, and sometimes a backed up snap hook.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I would describe it as awesome when its on, heh heh. I wouldnt lock it into any named pattern at all. It has elements of gravity drop but its so unique in its aim and release, etc. that i would just enjoy it for what it is. A golfing genius doing what he does. It does, however, take a genius to play from a cupped strong grip that goes flat in the downswing. Caution: expect alot of flairs.

You can make an NHA downswing from a soft draw backswing. The depth and width allow for some "carry and drop". Its actually a great pattern. You CANNOT make a soft draw downswing from an "up the wall" (more or less, underturned - like Couples sometimes gets under pressure) backswing. The result usually is a flair slice, and sometimes a backed up snap hook.

Thats the best description I have read and I can relate to that issue.

Kevin, what would be a better grip for a flat downswing? More neutral with a flat wrist, or will just the flat wrist make a difference. I'm not that tall with a flatish arm plane and since trying to get my swing warmed up for this season I've been flairing things right, with the occasional quacker with my longer clubs. I cup in the backswing because it's how my wrists feel "loosest." Whenever I flatten my wrist it just seems like I have so much tension in my left arm with my flattish arm swing. If Couples has trouble keeping it on the course, what chance do I have?

I personally think that Couples is just one of those guys that is an athletic freak, kinda like Snead was. You could give those guys any grip and swing plane combination and they'll figure out how to make it work well enough for Tour quality golf. Except for the fact that I couldn't see Couples do much running, I could see him as a quarterback or an outfielder with a cannon arm. Some guys are just born with ability.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Depends on what you mean by a flat downswing. There's a flatter approach after a double shift of the hands. There's a flat sweetspot approach (like Couples) with a higher handle (some call it underplane), and just an all around flat swing, sometimes just because of the player's height.

Kevin-I think I read somewhere here that this was the pattern you were working on. Is this still the case? Are there any issues that the rest of us need to know regarding mixing components from different patterns? I'm thinking this might be a hybrid pattern for me. The SD backswing helps with my tendency to suck the club inside, get laid off and lift, the NHA downswing (esp. "carry") keeps me from getting under plane and hitting flip hooks 40 yards left. I have a few issues.....

NewPicture26-1.jpg

I don't give a shit if his left arm is non verticle-ish, Fred is THE MAN!

I could not agree more. Everyone I know has tried to copy that swing for at least a portion of their golfing life. It looks so effortless and the ball flight is unreal pure. Strong club face position to offset the more horizontal hand path and a supernatural pivot. Some swings are meant to be admired and not duplicated- Hogan, Trevino, Couples and Sergio all come to mind. If only I had known nothing, been left alone on a island driving range at the age of 7, with food, diet dew (lol) a set of Muira blades and 1 million golf balls....

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Our own Brian Manzella once said that before Tiger got on tour, no one hit it better than Couples.

Im not the sole judge by any means, but take my word for it, before David Duval came along, no one, and I mean no one hit it like Couples. Best contact, had the most shots, highest returns on least effort...it was a joke.

Doesnt mean that Nick Price, John Huston, Elk and a few other werent great. It was just that Couples was that much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.