Couples

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under achiever as far as majors go? Should he have won more?

Ya gotta putt in majors no matter how good ya hit it. He's had a balky putter since he was at Houston. But I agree with the others as far as pure genius hitting it. Like greats in all sports he makes hitting a golf ball look easy.

Ya gotta putt in majors no matter how good ya hit it. He's had a balky putter since he was at Houston. But I agree with the others as far as pure genius hitting it. Like greats in all sports he makes hitting a golf ball look easy.

Freddie seemed to always play well in THE OPEN. Announcers always said it was because he hit it so solid and the greens are usually slower.

Really?
I always thought he was at his best at the Masters, he won it and has a crazy number of top 10's there.

He played there well too, just pointing out that there were several years where he played well over there even though he hit it high. High ball hitters don't usually fare well on the links (see Mickelson and DLIII).....unless they hit it VERY solid because of the wind. If you hit it solid you can play in the wind.

He definately deserved to win a British Open. Got close a few times. 1 year he was very unlucky. (Don't ask me which year \ course)

It seemed like a bunch of times late 90's. There was one year he charged up the board then fell back. My memory was that he had maybe 3-4 good chances. I only pointed this out because NORMALLY the thought is that high ball hitters don't do well over there, but Fred hit it so solid that he could play anywhere. Either hit it real solid, or scramble like crazy.

Freddie was always my favorite with DLIII growing up. Any discussion about Fred under-achieving has to include the back situation. It hit him right as he should have been peaking. I bet he always had it in the back of his mind even when playing well and feeling good. A real shame.

Fred Couples finishes from THE Open website:

1984:t-4
1988:t-4
1991:t-3
1996:t-7
1997:t-7
2000:t-6
2005:t-3
Ok, 2000 and 2005 not realistic chances (Tiger) but he had some looks. When you are that good you can play well pretty much anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.