Course management to shoot low scores

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it better to just play safe at all times?

Based on his interview on Feherty, Jack Nicklaus apparently did. I think it was Raymond Floyd's book that he said if he couldn't pull off the shot at least 7 out of 10 times, he would not risk it.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
There are always going to be six easy pins so safe could mean going at the pin in some cases. Making aggressive swings at the most conservative targets is a very good way to shoot low scores.

There are always going to be six easy pins so safe could mean going at the pin in some cases. Making aggressive swings at the most conservative targets is a very good way to shoot low scores.

Shouldn't that be the most liberal targets, as in more open, forgiving and easy to take advantage of?

ZAP

New
So if someone I know pretty well would want to work on their course management what steps would this person take?
How do the best players here break down a golf course the first time they see it?

Where is the green zone (i.e. the safe places, ideal places).?

Where is the red zone (i.e. the hazards, places you don't want to be)?

What is my most likely miss if I hit a less than perfect shot?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
So if someone I know pretty well would want to work on their course management what steps would this person take?
How do the best players here break down a golf course the first time they see it?

What holes and pin placements can I take advantage?
Where is my miss and how many holes have trouble on that side?
Where is double bogie on each hole?
How does each hole allow me to use my strengths?

Butch Harmon wrote a whole book on course strategy - it's really repetitive, cos the subject is so simple!

90% of your score is about quality execution, not strategy.

My 2c are take hazards out of play and take enough club.

I play in wind a lot, so good 3/4 shots are crucial too.

But I'm not that good a player!

I'd listen to everything Kevin Shields says in this department.

I'd add that, imho, course management is something that needs to be practiced, just like any aspect on the technical side, so that it becomes automated and natural. And just like the swing this can take years (10,000hours perhaps). There are just soooooo many variables.

What does the shot call for?
Is it a shot I'm capable of hitting?
Is it a shot I'm capable of hitting TODAY?

Rinse and repeat.

Most players never get to that point of honest, self-reflection.

Last edited:
Score smore. They put flags in the cups for a reason... to have something to aim at. If you not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

We're talking about internet golf advice, right?

ZAP

New
Don't you have o have a strategy first before you execute?

Basically all I do is try to hit whatever shot pops into my head as I approach the ball. Sometimes I know it is the wrong one to try but I cannot seem to stop myself if it is a fun shot to try. Of course for me numbers are less important than fun most days.

hp12c

New
For me course strategy is like a road map and the destination is par, possible good look at birdie and avoiding bogies like the plague. It helps imensely if I know the course well, If its a new course its gonna be a rough road meaning bogies will be happening.

Score smore. They put flags in the cups for a reason... to have something to aim at. If you not living on the edge you're taking up too much space.

We're talking about internet golf advice, right?

Eh no.

There is a simple point here: figuring out what to do is relatively easy. Doing it is hard.

Sure, there'll be four or five shots a round where you will have to make a call between two or three options.

The stats say by and large, you should go for the more aggressive play, though I think when there are full shot penalties in play (including e.g. pot bunkers), you should think twice.

But people who make out 'course management' is really tough or that there is some secret to it are the same people who complain about slow play.

I do agree that as you gain experience, you should try to learn about your own game and play smarter.

EDIT: I always walk - plenty of time to think!

Status
Not open for further replies.