Course management to shoot low scores

Status
Not open for further replies.
In order to make judments, you need information. I have used laser range finders for years, but the additional information provided by
, in my case, SkyCaddie provides useful information for strategizing.

Basically all I do is try to hit whatever shot pops into my head as I approach the ball. Sometimes I know it is the wrong one to try but I cannot seem to stop myself if it is a fun shot to try. Of course for me numbers are less important than fun most days.

What if you're playing in a foursome with a teammate?

I think a teammate who tries heroic shots and hits every putt well past the hole is very inconsiderate.

ZAP

New
What if you're playing in a foursome with a teammate?

I think a teammate who tries heroic shots and hits every putt well past the hole is very inconsiderate.
Totally agree with you. Which is why I am trying to get better at my decisions.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I've mentioned it before i play a lot at a course of a student of mine and it's very difficult when they trick up the greens. Not only because of speed but because of how they were designed. This forced me to do the following: play every hold backwards and don't try and birdie holes that aren't meant to be a birdie hole. What makes a birdie hole versus a non birdie hole? Depends mainly on pin position and/or green difficulty or possibly even what iron you have in your hand. So as i say, play the hole backwards:

1) Based on the current pin position, where on the green do i have to hit the ball to make sure i have the possibility of 2 putting for par? There are parts on a hard green where if even if you get a GIR you could almost be guaranteed a bogie if you're not in the right spot.

2) Based on 1 above, what angle from the fairway do you need to hit from to try and accomplish your goal of par or better?

3) Based on 2 above, what club from the tee to i have to hit to hit the correct spot on the fairway to create the best angle into the green?

I know the above seems tedious and it can be and it may not even make golf "as fun" but you know what? It works and will save you strokes; if you can execute. Now what if you can't execute? Your job is to limit the damage. Don't try to create hero shots, generally a lot of times getting on to the green in 1 extra shot versus a hero shot + maybe 1 more hard one when you miss it and you're score balloons.

Hope this helps.

Course management is absolutely huge!! and cannot be overrated. Yes Execution is important, but if you aim in a bad spot and execute perfectly, you're still screwed. I played in Arizona this week on three courses i'd never played including TPC Scottsdale. They had the pins in some brutal spots, and if you missed by a hair, you had a lightning downhill putt, or you would catch a run off. Ball striking was solid all day, management sucked, and I posted an 89(4 handicap).

I can sometimes manage a good score when my course management is good and ball striking is average to poor. I never put up a good score when my management is bad and ball striking is good.

Question: Is club selection course management?

I think it absolutely is. It can be intetgral to playing away from your weaknesses. Alot of the muni's I play are very old courses with small greens sloping back to front, and frequently with drop offs behind the green, or OB behind because of the layout. Most of the time on these courses if you're not sure of club selection, it's a much easier up and down short of the green than long.

By the same token I've played a few courses with the fronts of the greens well bunkered, and not much trouble long. I don't get to practice in bunkers much, so it's a weakness. In this case I would err long. I should also add that in these examples I am typically judging distance based off markers in the fairway or info on the scorecard, so sometimes the distances really are a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.