Craig "sizzle" Stadler Pros and Cons

Status
Not open for further replies.
While certainly not a text book swing, you can't deny the guy can compress a golf ball! What does the Walrus do that makes his ball striking so great, as it would apply to TGM? Also, what in his swing is not compliant to TGM and how does he get away with it? Thanks!

DDL

New
He is a textbook hitter. According to the TGM AIs, he is a pure hitter. That is why his "swing" looks so bad, because it actually isn't a swing. Next time you watch the Champions Tour, you can actually see his cross-lateral hip slide.

EdZ

New
Talk about "keeping the club in front of you" - hard to do it any more than that, thanks for the clip Brady

Would you consider the shaft a bit too steep in his swing? Looks like a 'fade only' motion, a bit like Hoch

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by EdZ

Talk about "keeping the club in front of you" - hard to do it any more than that, thanks for the clip Brady

Would you consider the shaft a bit too steep in his swing?
Stads is using the Hitter's Cross-Line Angle of Approach procedure and the 10-5-E Closed Plane Line and steeper Plane that best control it (2-J-3-B).

Does he use the same technique for every club (driver, fw, SG)? I ask because 2 years ago I was using a similar technique with much success with my irons, but struggle with my driver. I'm thinking about ressurecting this swing with the knowledge I gain from this forum.

self,

He uses the same swing for all clubs. I followed him in a charity event in the mid-eighties. At a long dog-leg left par 5, he teed it up addressed the ball, backed off, walked toward the gallery and asked if anyone would be willing to hit the drive for him. He cannot hit a draw, and only occasionally is able to hit it straight. So, even some of the top players have to compromise.

Sam Snead's advice to a rookie pro - "Son, you'll either have a swing that works good for the irons or for the woods, but not both".

Most pros look for their best iron swing, and make it work for the woods.

Craig's son, Kevin(?), has made it on to the PGA tour for next season and his body looks like a younger version of Craig. Do you think anybody from TGM has ever told Craig or Kevin what they are doing in their golfswing?

It is not necessary to be told what you are doing. It is necessary to know what you are doing. The Stadlers know what they are doing. And very well too.

Sounds good to me ... and again just proves that TGM should not be used on a scientific basis to analyze the golfswing. Stick with what you know and understand and leave the science to the scientists ... even those who don't fully understand nor appreciate the intricacies of the golfswing, as Homer did ... but unfortunately wanted to be a scientist too ... and failed miserably ... go figure ....[V]

So basically you're saying the yellow book is great for everyone except scientists. You've made this point numerous times about how difficult the yellow book would be for the scientists who would like to pick up the game. Is that a huge market? Would that be a practical reason for a rewrite? You have requested a rewrite, at what expense, and how many of these rogue science golfers are there to incur the cost of this rewrite? And, you have mentioned that, other than this small faction of science golfers the book seems to be quite servicable.
I've got a suggestion! Quit your sniveling!

Should I model Stad's swing? I tried a Stad-like stroke today with success, his method is such an easier way to hit a golf ball, my 4 iron was flying 210.

self,

Whether you use some of his swing ideas or not, DO NOT emulate his sorry attitude on the golf course. He's always disatisfied with his shot - I've seen him hit a mid-iron approach within 12 feet and throw his club at the bag in disgust. If you follow him for only 2-3 holes, you'll have acid indigestion.

Mizuno,

i'm guilty of lossing my temper on the course. I'm working on playing (both life/ golf) with a certain amount of indifference. Smile therepy.

Is he over the top? I know his body opens up and he stands up a little, but if you look at REDGOAT'S site in the picture 3/5 and frames 4,5. Does he lay the club a little and the body and standing up make him appear to be over it. Very hard to tell, TIM

Status
Not open for further replies.