Disscussion of TGM (or any other golf book) on the site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcw

New
Brian.
If you have resigned from TGM and have started Project 1.68, you should be free to discuss the golfing machine as much as you like. Just like any other published book out there. Is this just a personal decision not to talk openly about it on your forum?

Chris

Brian,

To me, this seems like a huge decision for you, and one that probably wasn't reached without a great deal of thought. I applaud you for your belief in the search for truth and your willingness to put aside something that has been such a large part of your life to search for that truth. Thank you for what you do, and sharing it with us.

Dan

dbl

New
rcw, what are you talking about? The last 2-3 weeks if not months have had tons of tgm discussions here. Brian has not been silent about where the book's science is "wanting."

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Clarification.

Brian.
If you have resigned from TGM and have started Project 1.68, you should be free to discuss the golfing machine as much as you like. Just like any other published book out there. Is this just a personal decision not to talk openly about it on your forum?

Chris

Good Question Chris!

Here is the quote and the explanation:

"...(We) will not discuss the interpretations or minutia of the text of The Golfing Machine anymore on my website"

I have no problem talking about the Physics of Golf, My 55 Ways to Lower Your Score, or any golf book on this site. Or any published research paper. Or any opinions, or ideas.

But that quote means exactly what it says.

No more "interpretations or minutia"....

:)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
rcw, what are you talking about? The last 2-3 weeks if not months have had tons of tgm discussions here. Brian has not been silent about where the book's science is "wanting."

That's a good example.

We won't be mentioning ANY BOOK's science or lack thereof anymore on this site.

We will debate, discuss, and examine any CONCEPTS....separately from any book.

Got it?

We will discuss concepts forever.

dbl

New
rcw, I missed the sticky, and for some reason it wasn't bolded (unread) in my browser.

To Brian, darn I was hoping to ask something about pivot controlled hands or arms controlled pivot...

So would it be better just to re-frame some questions, like...

(Taking it out of tgm-ese for a minute), Do modern scientific studies support there being arm dominated swings or body dominated swings?

Brian, just to be honest I will probably enjoy your website less as it is more now a science discussion than a golf swing discussion. I can read the Trackman newsletter and to be honest that is about all the scientific discussion that I care for. Greatly enjoy your golf swing discussion, but the D-plane and all the scientific stuff not so much. Best of luck on the168 stuff and you can count on me buy it,but to endlessly discuss it day after day is not something that interests me.

sunmart,

the reason we are researching the science is to improve our understanding of the swing and then to be able to teach it better.....i hope you can understand that - and i'm sure you do

If you want to simply hit the ball further, straighter... this is the place to go. I get lost in the science, but when you need a way to take the club back, or an image or are curious why a player swings the way they do, Brian is always there, with something simple, entertaining and easy to visualize.

Brian, just to be honest I will probably enjoy your website less as it is more now a science discussion than a golf swing discussion. I can read the Trackman newsletter and to be honest that is about all the scientific discussion that I care for. Greatly enjoy your golf swing discussion, but the D-plane and all the scientific stuff not so much. Best of luck on the168 stuff and you can count on me buy it,but to endlessly discuss it day after day is not something that interests me.

This is always the balance we have to try and make. Us golf instructors are tasked with learning as much as we can about the science and we like to discuss it openly amongst anyone who wants to talk about it. Unfortunately those of you who are not interested in such details will have problems with these types of discussions. We simply CANNOT only talk about simple things like "how to fix my slice" or "how do I stop coming across the top" all the time. We would never get better as teachers if that's all we discussed.

However, we may want to start putting something in the subject line of threads indicating it is a technical thread so that those of you not interested can pass it up. Though, I wouldn't if I were you.

S

SteveT

People, people !!!! BrianM and the Manzella Academy instructors understand all the science and don't burden their students with scientific confusion.

The problem with golfers trying to use science to build their homemade golfswing is that it won't work unless you fully understand the science. Even I who understand the science stuff was not able to fully transfer that science to my golfswing development. Unfortunately, when I was building my golfswing there were no instructors who understood golfswing science, they just knew "golf my way".

To maximize science for your golfswing, you will need an objective instructor who can view your golfswing and then relate the scientific data obtained from the TrackMan measurements.

Do you understand??? Qualified instructor + TrackMan = Maximum Benefits.

Rich guys who buy their own TrackMan and take it to the driving range are missing the objective assessment of an instructor ... they are flying blind.

I must say I agree with this post. If understanding the science behind the golf swing would make me better I would be very interested but I don't believe it will. I will leave the understanding to the teacher.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
We spend HOURS everyday working on Project 1.68.

And we have for a while now.

We will report findings as we learn them, and correct those we got wrong or partially correct.

This has all been a necessary "phase" in our years on this site. It wasn't much fun, but we made our points. We have folks running around trying to start research projects of their own. Unheard of a few weeks ago.

The announcement will FREE US UP TO DO MORE PRACTICAL THINGS ON THE SITE.

Book (almost) closed.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Just so everyone here's this.....

You can ask questions about the golfswing on this site.

We are just trying to take the "TGM" wrapper off of discussions.

Just put it in everyday, regular language.

I'll debate you if you want, just take off the wrapper.

Do you feel like sourcing out any minor research projects that this website's supporters would certainly be happy to help out with?

Good Question Chris!

Here is the quote and the explanation:

"...(We) will not discuss the interpretations or minutia of the text of The Golfing Machine anymore on my website"

I have no problem talking about the Physics of Golf, My 55 Ways to Lower Your Score, or any golf book on this site. Or any published research paper. Or any opinions, or ideas.

But that quote means exactly what it says.

No more "interpretations or minutia"....

:)

I just want to add something before we move on.

I was reading an artical on mind control.

Reciprocity

The act of simply giving a gift without expectation has a very
powerful effect on people. Remember the phrase "There is no such
thing as a free lunch."

All societies subscribe to a norm that obligates its members to
repay in kind what they have received. So when one is approached by
someone on the street giving them a flower they are much more likely
to give a donation in return when asked. It is a common practice
among groups soliciting for donations.

Evangelist Oral Roberts is famous for his lucrative letter
writing campaigns to his followers. One such letter included a one inch
square of carpet that he described as being from his old office. "Over
the last 15 years I have knelt and prayed for hours on this carpet." the
letter would say. At the conclusion he would ask for a donation and it
worked!!

Reciprocity is used in most Mind Control settings. The
important thing to understand is that the item that you are giving does
not need to be of any great value. It is the act of freely giving it that
makes the impact. Give the item and mention that it is free and there is
no obligation then to ask for something. Don't put any focus on the
gift, they can keep it no matter what.

A gift can also be a concession of some sort. Knowing this you
can offer them something that you know might be too expensive for
them like a large donation or giving of their time. When they refuse to
acknowledge their misgivings and lower the offer, ask for less.

Exercise In Reciprocity

Anytime you know that you are going to ask for something,
anything, create an opportunity to give the person something before
you ask. Make sure there is no obligation connected to the gift, you
just thought they might like it. The gift can be relatively insignificant.
If for any reason they refuse don't take back the gift or bring it to their
attention.

So if some people from this forum had received a free DVD when someone started a forum, don't think of it as a free gift. It certainly wasn't given out of the kindness of their heart.

I just want to add something before we move on.

I was reading an artical on mind control.

So if some people from this forum had received a free DVD when someone started a forum, don't think of it as a free gift. It certainly wasn't given out of the kindness of their heart.

Where is the article on mind control? Is there more? I thought that was very interesting and would like to read more. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.