Draw with flat clubs as a simple pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't mean to brag, but shot 5 under with 8 birdies a couple days ago playing like this. I haven't made that many birdies in about 3 years. It really eliminates variability.

So anyone out there have a guess as to what stock lie angle of a 6 iron from 1980 might have been?

Wondering if golf club companies started to make irons with a slightly more upright lie angle since the 80's.

I had something saved on the history. Iron lengths versus today, 50's-60's minus 1 inch,
70's-80's minus 1/2 inch. This source says iron lie angles have increased 1 to 2 degrees
since pre - 1975. A 43" wooden driver typically had a lie angle of 54 degrees.

The lie angle of a black dot Ping Eye2 and i15 6 iron is the same. The length is the same, at 37.25'', the loft is 2 degrees stronger on the i15. The Eye2 came out in 82, if I recall.

Anyone out there ever try to hit hundreds of draws in a row with a flat lie angle and a flat swing plane angle? I've been doing it for a few days and it feels like the best I've ever hit it in my life. I've used flat clubs before but never tried to hit all draws.
I have always taught ball flights, but since playing with Fred Funk I've been trying to make one repeatable shape and it's working with both my students' and my own game.

Bill,
With Fred, did you discuss lie angles?

dbl

New
Last edited:
Just curious, but since clubs have become more upright over the years, how do you have to adjust to play more upright fairway woods, drivers, etc.? It would seem that if you made a similar move through the ball with clubs that were comparatively upright, you would hook the ball.

Am I off the mark here?

I have no idea where I clipped the spec charts I was referring to .
I am going to send the link to specs by brand site to a friend.
He is the president of our league, 70 years old and a scratch player.
Still plays Ping Eye's in regular flex. This year the grooves on his
sandwedge finally wore out. I suggested e-Bay and he found a replacement.
The replacement had a slightly different loft, but he has adapted.

He will be interested in knowing the actual lofts.

Status
Not open for further replies.