Driver confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have issues with my driver.

I can't seem to figure out how to get it to go anywhere near where I am aiming. When I try to play a fade, I aim down the left, add tilt, hold the clubface, hit up and create a dplane (face square to final target, path out to in) that starts the ball at my final target with a very high trajectory and it fades off into oblivion, or the nearest highway, whichever happens to be closest.

When I try to play a draw, I aim down the right, try to close the clubface and create a dplane that starts the ball (again) at the final target, with a lower, "hotter" trajectory and hooks, usually behind a tree, small bush, or large mantinence shed.

The frustrating thing with both of these shots is that they start at the target, so I know my clubface is reasonably square, but to the final target, not the starting line. Also, both shots tend to move in the air approximatly the amount I want, but due to the piss poor starting direction, they always find trouble.

The pros seem to either A)play two different shots, one for the driver hitting up and one for all other shots, or B)use the same swing (aim) for all shots and just hit down a smidge on the driver and give up a bit of distance for accuracy.

I play twice a month and rarely get to practice. I am more than long enough (110 mph SS with driver) for the courses I play with my regular foursome (6000-6500 yds). I game an R9, so there is some adjustability available to help me.

My question is this: What would you suggest to a golfer (me) who just wants to find a "stock" shot with the driver?

Edit: I forgot to mention that my preferred shot with the rest of the clubs is a slight pull fade.

Last edited:
For myself personally I accept the distance advantage with ascending blow is a scientific fact but I try for level or slightly descending because it gives me more control over the flight. Driver is really a target club once you have adequate power to play any given course.

dbl

New
Duck you are not describing dplane alignments correctly for those fades and draws you mentioned. That could be why you get the big fade or the big hook.

Don't aim the face at the final target. Aim at the desired starting direction and then have your path slightly outside that.

Duck you are not describing dplane alignments correctly for those fades and draws you mentioned. That could be why you get the big fade or the big hook.

Don't aim the face at the final target. Aim at the desired starting direction and then have your path slightly outside that.

I hit up when trying to hit the fade. This creates an "leftward" path, which means my resultant face (which is square to final target) is open. The ball starts off at the final target and fades. I think I have the dplane idea right?

I try to aim the face at the starting line I want, but subconsciously, I always seem to want to get it pointed at the final target at impact.

I hit up when trying to hit the fade. This creates an "leftward" path, which means my resultant face (which is square to final target) is open. The ball starts off at the final target and fades. I think I have the dplane idea right?

I try to aim the face at the starting line I want, but subconsciously, I always seem to want to get it pointed at the final target at impact.

Try setting up more left and make sure the ball is far enough forward. What happens?

dbl

New

Not so sure about that resultant face. Usually the talk is about resultant path. My reaction is to say face is face. How much the face may be closed (closing) because you are hitting up past low point is due to the position in the swing. The ball still mainly takes off initally (85%) based on the face. So if you want to change the final landing spot, then it sounds like you need to change the initial direction (and watch the path so a fade doesn't become a pull, etc.)

ambero

New
You should give your driver some better one and good one training and have the good one game after that training...
This will help you much...

Hey duck,

Trying to apply d-plane knowledge and adjustments directly into your swing to get a desired ball flight may make sense on paper or at the bar holding court with a beer in your hand, but not on the tee. I totally get why you do that and I've tried to pay that way myself at times. Sometimes you just need to have a basic understanding of the path and your clubface.

I don't believe that aiming the face at address has anything to do with where it will be at impact for starters. That may work with an iron Byron, but not so much in human terms. The shaft, wrists, tilts and lateral movement that go on in a golf swing influence the face so much, that trying to preset an angle statically almost seems folly.

If I were you I would just set up with a normal grip and face and play around with your path from a normal ball position until you get some predictable flights. Then at least you'll have base line from which to work.

My question is this: What would you suggest to a golfer (me) who just wants to find a "stock" shot with the driver?

A 3 wood with a X shaft!

Play twice a month and little time to practice. That is a problem. I don't know how you really improve without more playing or practicing time.

Lindsey hit the nail on the head. You may think you are hitting up, or aligning the face closed or open, but how do you know? That's where the wonder of Trackman meets the reality of un-availability (if that's a word). They are relatively few and far between.

Whether it's R9, R11, 910 etc. etc., the shaft is a big deal. At 110 mph, it's even more of a big deal. The wrong shaft will have you spraying it all over the lot.

Try aiming the face a little more in the direction you want the ball to start. I've learned that (at least for me) I never want to aim the face at my target if I'm expecting to curve it.

footwedge

For myself personally I accept the distance advantage with ascending blow is a scientific fact but I try for level or slightly descending because it gives me more control over the flight. Driver is really a target club once you have adequate power to play any given course.

How does the descending blow give you more control over the flight? You know about the D-plane don't you?

Not grahler, but will share a reason for not hitting up.

If your Driver swing results are more consistent hitting slightly down or level and, for whatever reason, you find the swing up thing hard to accomplish consistently, then perhaps you should not hit up. At least that's what Mike Jacobs told me on his lesson tee. Changing an established personal swing pattern requires time and effort.

dbl

New
At the Manzella Friday session at Marbella last week, I saw Jay behind me get his driver tweaked toward the end, and he hit a beautiful drive with 0 path, 0 face and 0 angle of attack. Brian then went on to show him what he needed to do to hit up, and I think within a few swings I heard 3 or 4 degrees up. Anyway, the point I'm making is that 0,0,0 shot 'twasn't all bad at all!

footwedge

At the Manzella Friday session at Marbella last week, I saw Jay behind me get his driver tweaked toward the end, and he hit a beautiful drive with 0 path, 0 face and 0 angle of attack. Brian then went on to show him what he needed to do to hit up, and I think within a few swings I heard 3 or 4 degrees up. Anyway, the point I'm making is that 0,0,0 shot 'twasn't all bad at all!

I get that 0 path 0 face and 0 AOA will give you a nice drive but grahler only mentioned AOA as giving more control over ball flight that's why I mentioned the D-Plane as there are other factors besides just AOA.

What I like....

I like hitting up because I like hitting it far.

I like hitting if far because I like hitting the 2nd shot from closer.

I like hitting the 2nd shot from closer because I like putting from closer.

I like putting from closer because I can make more putts.

I like making more putts because it wins more money.

I like winning more money because it encourages me to hit if farther.

(Repeat):)

:D

I LIKE it :D

I like money!

Status
Not open for further replies.