Driver off the deck?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does it tell you when a scratch golfer can't hit a driver off the deck? Is hitting it off the deck harder with the new drivers that are coming out?

Can all tour pros do it?

Is hitting a Driver off the deck proof that your swing is becoming tour quality?

What does it tell you when a scratch golfer can't hit a driver off the deck? Is hitting it off the deck harder with the new drivers that are coming out?

Can all tour pros do it?

Is hitting a Driver off the deck proof that your swing is becoming tour quality?

I don't know, but I could hit it off the deck when I was a 20 handicapper. It doesn't tell you anything.

Erik_K

New

Can all tour pros do it?

Better players usually struggle with coming from the inside too much. It would not shock me if you're average chomper could get play this shot from time to time. Why? They have no issues swinging to the left (albeit steeply).

As Jared suggested, some medicine for the player who comes from too far from the inside is to hit a controlled fade with the driver off the deck.

And yes, I am willing to bet that many tour players can hit driver off the deck. They don't need to since these guys can bomb 3W or 5W 250+ with relative ease.

Erik

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
there's a difference between "yes i can hit a driver off the deck" and "yes i can hit my driver off the deck during a round for an actual shot."

If you can do the latter, and have enough swing speed to get the ball in the air, then you essentially have a very neutral path.

I use he driver off the deck if I need to stay very low (it only goes about one or 2 yards high) and need to cover about 150 yards. Can be a 'get out of jail' shot sometimes.

dlam

New
Yea that was a textbook driver off the deck by Dan Summerhayes on the 17th. Beautiful fade off a lie that angled away and slightly down from the feet . He got it on the green from 278 yards. That's how its done!

I had an irritating playing partner who tries to hit the driver off the fairway just cause he can do it. Nothing special . For our 2nd shot , we were same distance on the fairway and he used a driver and I hit it 20 yards past him with my 5 wood.
He doesn't hit it all that flush with the driver off the fairway and would be better off using his 3 wood.

Last edited:
I can...but the lie needs to be perfect or ideally sitting up in the rough, the stakes need to be low and its going to have some sort of cut/slice.

jimmyt

New
Since I don't have trouble hitting any club in the bag and I can flight the ball any way I desire. Why can't I get a driver off the deck even air born. Good club head speed. Hit a driver 285-300 yds.

Any possible thoughts.

Perhaps angle of attack is too steep...perhaps hitting it on bottom of club face, which will have even less angle than the middle of the club face (courtesy of the bulge and roll features of the modern driver). Both of these are why the ball needs to be either sitting perfect or sitting up in the rough.

Since I don't have trouble hitting any club in the bag and I can flight the ball any way I desire. Why can't I get a driver off the deck even air born. Good club head speed. Hit a driver 285-300 yds.

Any possible thoughts.

I couldn't hit it flush with the taylormade driver. But Ping G25 or I20 I can!

hp12c

New

Any possible thoughts.

I would guess with a flat left wrist, hand ahead at impact = delofting that 8 degree driver too much.

First my driver is not 8°, second I have no idea what you are saying. It has to be some kind of path problem.

Well in fairness all you said was "can't get it airborne" which could be about a hundred different reasons. You could be cold topping it, you could be hitting 6 inches behind it, you could be whiffing it, shanking it, or smother hooks, and we wouldn't know because you gave no information other then can't get a driver airborne off the deck.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
there's a difference between "yes i can hit a driver off the deck" and "yes i can hit my driver off the deck during a round for an actual shot."

If you can do the latter, and have enough swing speed to get the ball in the air, then you essentially have a very neutral path.

aka, swing more left

Status
Not open for further replies.