European Tour vs. PGA Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anybody else more excited to watch the European Tour in 2011 than the PGA Tour? There are so many interesting characters, and they seem to play a lot of the events.

I think that, if you look at the world rankings, the Euro Tour may have stronger fields at the top. This is probably the first time in a very long time (ever?) that the Euro Tour had more top players, no?

natep

New
I don't know about more excited, but I'd say equally excited.

I've never had any real interest in watching it until recently.

I for one, often enjoy watching the European Tour more, for the simple reason that they SHOW GOLF instead of announcers babbling about unfounded opinions for hours. Just once, someone should tell Faldo to shut up.

PGA TOUR

40 % commercial, 55% Faldo Commenting

I can't even finish watching a game if it's not recorded, because I can't fast forward!

You will watch 3 shots and it goes to commercial....come on seriously?

i'm not going to subscribe golf channel anymore....it really sucks.

What is Grey Goose 9 hole? it's the most boring show ever made!

natep

New
It's strange that Faldo brings so little of substance to the broadcast. It's like he's just goofing off in the booth. They might as well just have a random announcer in there and not a former #1 in the world with 6 majors.

He was a hell of a champion on the course, though.

Not quite, old chap!

I would rather listen to Faldo than someone like Denis Hutchinson! I do not think the European Tour has quite arrived yet. When their marquee players no longer scramble over the "big pond" to the good old US of A like salivating dogs then "the other tour" will have arrived!:D I agree that the commercials are a painful interuption. Who are the other European commentators, Renton Laidlaw (or something?) what a snooze fest!

At the final tour event, the guys that struggled over the "big pond" held the PGA Championship trophy, Open Championship trophy, US Open trophy, and the Ryder Cup...I hope, for their sake, that their "scrambles" continue...

Great players and great swings in Europe but announcing is such a bore that you get turned off. US Tour anytime.

I prefer watching the US Tour (apart from the adverts/commercials), unless its a really big event in Europe like Dubai last week. The commentators in Europe are pathetic. Soooo boring. Renton Laidlaw? Dougie Donolly? I'd rather listen to paint drying. Wayne O'Reilly is a least mildy entertaining, but he's rarely involved. They should get some new guys in. But there's something nice about watching the US golf live at night (time difference). The Champions League Soccer/Football and other big events are on at night for a reason - cos its just more fun sitting down after dinner watching the sport and relaxing on the couch with a beer or cup of tea betting live "in play" events on the internet. I love it.

I have been telling everyone this week how I prefer the Euro Tour to the PGA Tour for various reasons. Although I am a Faldo fan on TV, I think he provides player knowledge that a typical announcer cant provide, great humor, and I think compared to most American broadcasters he gives fair, if not better, analysis of the swings.

Has anyone noticed that the European Tour commentators rarely discuss
the holes on the course or the layout? To me that is a glaring difference between the
US Tour and the European Tour coverage. I much prefer to US broadcasts.

I simply can't stand the frequency of the commercial breaks on the PGA tour coverage. I think there's little difference between the quality of the fields in a typical week; some of the end of season PGA events featured mainly non-entities, but the same could be said of a number of European fields too.

"I simply can't stand the frequency of the commercial breaks on the PGA tour coverage. "

I DVR as many of my favorite TV programs as possible. US Football, and Golf are much more enjoyable
when you can fast forward through the commercials.

I'll take the Euro broadcasters on the first 3 rounds and the US on the final round.

The US do the drama better, but they over-do it on days where a winner is not crowned.

From the UK, but prefer watching the US tour, well maybe equal, but I can't stand the American golf coverage. Way too much adverts detracts from the main event.
I don't know how you guys put up with it, it is shocking.

Seems like it's getting worse. Unless it's a major, I find it nearly impossible to sit through the entire live broadcast. I like to record it, and finding football better that way too like Steve.

Do you have any idea what ratings the Euro coverage pulls in Europe? Is it like miniscule compared to other sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.