European Tour vs. PGA Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
This years Open final round peaked at 4m plus averaging over 2m for the whole of the final day, the Ryder cup 0.98m. A football match pulls in around 1m+. These figures are for the UK.

dbl

New
I don't know why some people complain the Euro anouncers are boring...I'd probably prefer a broadcast with NO announcers. The ambling soft voiced Euro annoucers then are close enough.

And as for coverage, the Euro's cover something like the top 6 on the leaderboard, not just "1 or 2" big names like the PGA Tour broadcasts.

The World Golf Rankings has adjustments for strength of field, so with more top ranked players on the Euro tour you may see a top50 made up of mostly Euros. Actually right now, of the top 25, 9 are US, 13 Euro and 3 others.

The Euro tour events give more OWGR points than some lesser tier PGA Tour events. Maybe they will also get a general step up someday (I won't hold my breath), and then the Euro tour would clearly be dominant, player wise and points wise.

Frys.com (Rocco) 24 points
Viking Classic 28 points
Valero Texas Open 28 points
Bob Hope Classic 30 points
Omega European Masters 30 points
Irish Open 32 points
Adulician Masters 38 points
Volvo World Match Play 42 points
Barclays Singapore Open 48 points
Verizon Heritage 48 points
Open De France 50 points
PGA Tour Championship 54 points
Bayhill 60 points
Quail Hollow 64 points
WGC's 74 points

I don't know why some people complain the Euro anouncers are boring...I'd probably prefer a broadcast with NO announcers. The ambling soft voiced Euro annoucers then are close enough.

And as for coverage, the Euro's cover something like the top 6 on the leaderboard, not just "1 or 2" big names like the PGA Tour broadcasts.

I agree with this. The only thing i would mention is that, to me at least, the US Tour sometimes has better camera angles on shots, and panoramic views of the courses. I would like to see a little more of that on the Euro tour, but I know that significantly raises production costs, etc.

At the final tour event, the guys that struggled over the "big pond" held the PGA Championship trophy, Open Championship trophy, US Open trophy, and the Ryder Cup...I hope, for their sake, that their "scrambles" continue...

This is my point. So what if the talent in Europe is deeper (it should be given that it is a continent + a little 'ol island;)) My point is that golfing immortality is 1/4 British and 3/4 American. Regardless of which tour has the deepest pool of talent 3 majors are played over here. It is built...so they will come! The fact that the Ryder Cup is one country against an entire continent is statement enough, regardless if Europe wins. I'm glad they did, good for I golf in my opinion, but let us not get to far ahead of ourselves. We know full and well that Korea will dominate golf in the future! :eek:

On consideration, I think the point made just now about production costs, may be what causes me
to prefer watching US tour. Also with either Tour, I need someone to make me interested. That could
rookie lighting up the course, or a certain player doing well. I'm sitting here watching Tiger playing well in the
Chevron Challenge.

Yeah, I would agree that the production values are (proportionally) higher with the USPGA Tour, but that's not the reason I tune in anyways.

I find the subdued, subtle charm of the Euro Tour announcers refreshing.

Also, there does seem to be WAY more commercial breaks during the coverage over here.

Sure if you like to hear the guy talk about the knickers some bloke is wearing. It's not that the guys are only boring or monotone, it's that they are often way off topic, brutal to listen to...I like the golf though!

leon

New
Our Euro tour coverage is a little sucky, but the real jewel is BBC gof coverage. We get the mighty Peter Alliss - just amazing commentary, and sometimes its even about the golf! Add to that Sam Torrance, Ken Brown, Wayne Grady and even old crazy eyed Butch. Fantastic :)

Status
Not open for further replies.