Fixing "Rugby" and other things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't really like the back extension at the top of the backswing which is leading you to lean forward with your upper body. Then your lower body has virtually no participation in power development and your leg action shows it. There is no leg or hip drive because your weight is already leaned to the left.

Get rid of the target-ward extension at the top of your backswing and drive the right leg forward ASAP. Try to get your right knee to brush your left before impact. That way you get your weigh to the left foot but it's the lower body that makes the transition happen instead of the upper body.

Alright yall, gonna hit the sack. Hopefully I'll wake up more competent and maybe brian will drop in. Thanks for everything so far.

ej20

New
I've managed to time my scoop to where I still hit down on the ball. I do take divots and they are infront of the ball. I've turned being a bad golfer into a talent.

I wouldn't keep telling yourself you are a bad golfer otherwise that belief might become permanent.You don't have a bad swing.You are a lot closer than you think.

Another poster mentioned the hit impulse and I agree.Your right side seems to stall a bit early leading to running out of right arm(straightens too early) and the right wrist flattening too early which results in the scoopy release.

You need to fire the right side through the shot more,keeping the right elbow in pitch position longer and delay the straightening of the right arm.It will feel like a delayed hit which is precisely what you need to feel to overcome the hit impulse.

I agree with TaylorMade. Work on the impact position. You say that you have all the videos. Then rewatch the begining of COAFF. Brian demonstrates a way to hit a chip using your pivot only. Practice chipping this way using a sand wedge. The hands are ahead of the ball at impact and the shaft is leaning forward. You can do this in your backyard. ( I personally hate mats). When you are starting to make good contact and can control the distance of the chips, graduate to pitch shots and make sure that you reach the same impact position. Continue to build up to full wedge shots and then longer irons. It does not happen over night, but you seem very dedicated. From personal experience I know this works. I am 48 years old and have been playing off and on since my mid twenties. I shot an 80 for the first time in my life last Friday. Don't give up. The stuff on this site works! Concentrate on the impact position!

Last edited:
I just re-read your post. OK, maybe you can't work out in your back yard just yet in Minnesota. I guess the matt is going to have to do for a while.

I agree with TaylorMade. Work on the impact position. You say that you have all the videos. Then rewatch the begining of COAFF. Brian demonstrates a way to hit a chip using your pivot only. Practice chipping this way using a sand wedge. The hands are ahead of the ball at impact and the shaft is leaning forward. You can do this in your backyard. ( I personally hate mats). When you are starting to make good contact and can control the distance of the chips, graduate to pitch shots and make sure that you reach the same impact position. Continue to build up to full wedge shots and then longer irons. It does not happen over night, but you seem very dedicated. From personal experience I know this works. I am 48 years old and have been playing off and on since my mid twenties. I shot an 80 for the first time in my life last Friday. Don't give up. The stuff on this site works! Concentrate on the impact position!

Another sad feature of this debacle, I can do the chip/pitch/punch according to COAFF just fine, good contact, compression, appropriate(read: not sky high as usual) ball flight. But as soon as I leave "drill mode" and go into swing mode shit hits the fan :(

Hey Rugby another MN on the BM board! It MN time, think shovelling snow down there is hurting your swing. Kidding. Not sure what I can do to help your swing, but ever coming up to Duluth, PM me this next summer if you want to play a round.

S

SteveT

Have you seen this?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iya8VDEN7c&feature=player_embedded[/media]

and this

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsQ8NB0eRAg&feature=related[/media]

I watched both of the Mike Jacobs videos, and I must say I like how this guy incorporates 'science' into his presentation. He appreciates the kinetic chain and sequencing, without getting into the gory details that would frighten off the golfing sheep.

Good thing he's part of the Project 1.68 team.

Last edited:
Another sad feature of this debacle, I can do the chip/pitch/punch according to COAFF just fine, good contact, compression, appropriate(read: not sky high as usual) ball flight. But as soon as I leave "drill mode" and go into swing mode shit hits the fan :(

You need to fix the cause of the flip in the full swing. That cause is likely not present in the shorter shots.

Twistaway, weight off the left foot, slack at the top, and dribble the ball drill. PM me if you'd lik

Agree. Also, I may be wrong, but the left shoulder seems to come up too quickly. Could a more pronounced counterfall help? And Kevins' suggestions are, of course, the necessary preconditions of a good counterfall.

Considering what Doctor Neal said at the Anti-summit his obvious strength in his shoulders should be his greatest asset but I have a sense that shrugging that shoulder negates much of his pivot power (I used to do this too) and/or causes the flip

Drew

Last edited:
S

SteveT

QUIT ALREADY !!!! ... because it will take you at least 2 years to test out all the disparate suggestions/tips ... and by then you will be certifiably insane if not a cripple .... :eek:

QUIT ALREADY !!!! ... because it will take you at least 2 years to test out all the disparate suggestions/tips ... and by then you will be certifiably insane if not a cripple

I totally agree; therefore only use SteveT's suggestions.

Drew

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
It the clubface.

It is TOO OPEN AT THE TOP.

It is TOO OPEN halfway down.

I haven't seen the video but this makes sense to me because being a great athlete equates to no easy transition to golf because of one main reason....you've never learned to control a clubface (unless you've played hockey). This happens to many baseball players.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aFWw0lbm0sc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aFWw0lbm0sc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's today. Was focusing on thrusting the front of my right up through the ball and keeping my hand flat at the top of the backswing. I felt like I was doing better than the video shows. I'm still sliding and not pivoting. Still pretty upsetting.

Edit: So my face is open at top, and half way down...am I somehow compensating for that? Because I NEVER slice or even fade with my irons...on a good day the draw will be controllable...other days it has a mind of it's own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.