Fixing "Rugby" and other things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Club face still way too open. Twistaway hard throughout the whole swing all the way to the finish. You are going to have to feel it really exaggerated to just be kind of correct. Welcome to the feel vs. real world. Thought you had all the videos? NSA. Twist the clubface closed with your left hand/wrist--like turning a doorknob starting in the backswing and especially at the transition into the downswing all the way to the finish with wedding ring up.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Agree. Also, I may be wrong, but the left shoulder seems to come up too quickly. Could a more pronounced counterfall help? And Kevins' suggestions are, of course, the necessary preconditions of a good counterfall.

Considering what Doctor Neal said at the Anti-summit his obvious strength in his shoulders should be his greatest asset but I have a sense that shrugging that shoulder negates much of his pivot power (I used to do this too) and/or causes the flip

Drew

I agree with this. The left shoulder may come up to quickly because it was wound too tight (no slack) at the top.....and his face is open

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aFWw0lbm0sc?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aFWw0lbm0sc?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Here's today. Was focusing on thrusting the front of my right up through the ball and keeping my hand flat at the top of the backswing. I felt like I was doing better than the video shows. I'm still sliding and not pivoting. Still pretty upsetting.

Edit: So my face is open at top, and half way down...am I somehow compensating for that? Because I NEVER slice or even fade with my irons...on a good day the draw will be controllable...other days it has a mind of it's own.

Changing the face fixes ball flight and some of what you're doing with the swing.... however I still think the backward extension toward the target at the top of your swing is the reason you've got sway.

Move your weight with your FEET and legs, NOT with your upper body leaning.

Changing the face fixes ball flight and some of what you're doing with the swing.... however I still think the backward extension toward the target at the top of your swing is the reason you've got sway.

Move your weight with your FEET and legs, NOT with your upper body leaning.

I agree, he needs to stay behind the ball.

Wouldn't you agree that the forward sway with high right shoulder move is from the open face?

Burner

New
Too flipping easy.

Can you explain twistaway move?
Your real problem is that you are flipping - throwing the club head at the ball; straightening your right wrist and bending your left.
All the other stuff is incidental and masking the bleedin' obvious.

Why don't you just try playing the ball from the position in which you ground your club at address?

Re-building your swing will be a complete waste of time until your cure this aspect.

As I understand it Twistaway is rotating the shaft counterclockwise on the backswing, and throughout the swing. Produces a more closed less open face. The theory is it will eliminate an impulsive attempt to square the face from an open position and the corresponding "flip".

If you try it id love to see your swing afterwards.

ARe those golf shoes?

When I try to swing in a pair of worn out running shoes, I have no weight shift, no pivot, just all upper body.

Otherwise, just listen to Brian.

S

SteveT

RUGBY ..!!!!! PLEASE, post your normal speed face-on golfswing ... so I can get a feel of your hip rotation momentum..!!!

Also, have you timed your driver head speed .. and how about your driver distance?

I wouldn't dare offer you any golf tips without a full analysis of your golfswing abiliities ... :eek:

Looks like everything has already dumped at the delivery position and then its in save mode......can that be because of the club face (not being sarcastic)?

As I understand it Twistaway is rotating the shaft counterclockwise on the backswing, and throughout the swing. Produces a more closed less open face. The theory is it will eliminate an impulsive attempt to square the face from an open position and the corresponding "flip".

If you try it id love to see your swing afterwards.

Will do, without palpable hesitation.

Your real problem is that you are flipping - throwing the club head at the ball; straightening your right wrist and bending your left.

This is true, we are trying to figure out why this is happening and fixing it.

RUGBY ..!!!!! PLEASE, post your normal speed face-on golfswing ... so I can get a feel of your hip rotation momentum..!!!

Also, have you timed your driver head speed .. and how about your driver distance?

I wouldn't dare offer you any golf tips without a full analysis of your golfswing abiliities ... :eek:

I will do that the next time I go, which will likely be Wednesday if not tomorrow. My driver swing speed measured by doppler can be anywhere from 110-119 with distances usually ranging from 270-320+, depending on smash factor and if I hit the center of the face.

I am with Ringer on this one, I feel that the upper body tilt toward the target at the top/transition is causing not only the weak lower body motion, but also the flip. Seems to me like you are getting "ahead of it" during the downswing, promoting early release. I have a hard time telling someone that they have an open clubface from the face on view.

I'd like to see a down-the-line clip, before suggesting specific changes.

ej20

New

Why don't you just try playing the ball from the position in which you ground your club at address?

Re-building your swing will be a complete waste of time until your cure this aspect.

According to some that is not flipping but a perfectly acceptable "slap hinge" release so he should be killing it.

I am with Ringer on this one, I feel that the upper body tilt toward the target at the top/transition is causing not only the weak lower body motion, but also the flip. Seems to me like you are getting "ahead of it" during the downswing, promoting early release. I have a hard time telling someone that they have an open clubface from the face on view.

I'd like to see a down-the-line clip, before suggesting specific changes.

I will get DTL shots next time I head out.

Now this is a thread. Rugby, think about this. Here you are on a golf forum posting your swing and asking for help. You have at least 5 professional instructors (perhaps more), Brian, Kevin, Jim, ej20, and Daniel jumping in to help you. I guarantee you won't find that anywhere else.

If you follow through with posting videos, you will get there. We'll be watching.

Now this is a thread. Rugby, think about this. Here you are on a golf forum posting your swing and asking for help. You have at least 5 professional instructors (perhaps more), Brian, Kevin, Jim, ej20, and Daniel jumping in to help you. I guarantee you won't find that anywhere else.

If you follow through with posting videos, you will get there. We'll be watching.

That's why I'm here :eek:
I really hope I do it this time.

Is one of the beneficial bi-products of the "twistaway" forcing the student into increased trigger delay to avoid hooking it? A two pronged attack on the flip? (might even be three if it got the right shoulder on plane).

Or is that not a important factor in the evolving matrix?

S

SteveT

I will do that the next time I go, which will likely be Wednesday if not tomorrow. My driver swing speed measured by doppler can be anywhere from 110-119 with distances usually ranging from 270-320+, depending on smash factor and if I hit the center of the face.

Thanks, because my questions will be around your X-Factor and X-Factor Stretch between your hips and shoulder.

Have you ever had your rotational differential measured with something like K Vest, if not can you estimate it?

Since you are obviously generating near peak power in your current golfswing form, my concern would be the for your spinal well-being, assuming your differential is much greater than 45º. Sorry, but it just doesn't look healthy!!!

Thanks, because my questions will be around your X-Factor and X-Factor Stretch between your hips and shoulder.

Have you ever had your rotational differential measured with something like K Vest, if not can you estimate it?

Since you are obviously generating near peak power in your current golfswing form, my concern would be the for your spinal well-being, assuming your differential is much greater than 45º. Sorry, but it just doesn't look healthy!!!

I don't know what any of that means and I can't tell if you're being facetious or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.