Fixing "Rugby" and other things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are getting a bunch of suggestions. Here's one more.

To me what is obviously missing is falling, stepping into your left foot
during the downswing. Brian's step on the left, step on the right, step on the
left sequence. Kind of like marching. Hard to learn from a wide stance and full swings.

The counter fall / step to the left should be ahead of the rest of the chain. Your legs /feet are just sitting their while the downswing occurs. It may be that you have to have someone (local instructor) physically put you in correct positions for you to get it.

Twistaway is having some positive desired effect.

I got a thought for you. At address, with your right leg flexed feel like your twisting your right heel into the ground (clockwise), As you take your backswing twist it even harder into the ground(but don;t straighten that right leg - shift to the heel). Then experiment with holding it like that into the dowwswing.

Might stop that sway action. Some say that was Hogan's "secret" move.

You demonstrating good abilities and awareness concerning changes.

Oh, and I had the same experience with the lefts when first trying the shaft twisting. When you start hitting it straight with the twisting it means the pivot is improving and the release.

footwedge

You are getting a bunch of suggestions. Here's one more.

To me what is obviously missing is falling, stepping into your left foot
during the downswing. Brian's step on the left, step on the right, step on the
left sequence. Kind of like marching. Hard to learn from a wide stance and full swings.

The counter fall / step to the left should be ahead of the rest of the chain. Your legs /feet are just sitting their while the downswing occurs. It may be that you have to have someone (local instructor) physically put you in correct positions for you to get it.

Really hard to learn consciously if the subconscious thinks the ball is "The End Target". Why should he use his legs if the subconscious wants to use the head of the club to hit at the ball? Cause and effects. His program wants to hit at the ball and all the effects accompany that program.

Last edited:
Really hard to learn consciously if the subconscious thinks the ball is "The End Target". Why should he use his legs if the subconscious wants to use the head of the club to hit at the ball? Cause and effects.

I can swing through the ball all day, still don't know how to pivot.

footwedge

I can swing through the ball all day, still don't know how to pivot.

I haven't seen that in your posted videos. You can't pivot because like i said it's not at the conscious level anymore your trying to overide the automatic with conscious thoughts and that is really difficult especially if your not sure what or how to pivot, you need a really good hands on instructor to help do the thinking for you so you can do the doing.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that in your posted videos. You can't pivot because like i said it's not at the conscious level anymore your trying to overide the automatic with conscious thoughts and that is really difficult especially if your not sure what or how to pivot, you need a really good hands on instructor to help do the thinking for you so you can do the doing.

Well turns out, can't afford lessons for a while so I'll have to overcome this without.

Really hard to learn consciously if the subconscious thinks the ball is "The End Target". Why should he use his legs if the subconscious wants to use the head of the club to hit at the ball? Cause and effects. His program wants to hit at the ball and all the effects accompany that program.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, that makes some sense.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DZupvQOuF0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DZupvQOuF0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks like I had a better pivot this summer...some other jacked up stuff, though.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DZupvQOuF0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DZupvQOuF0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Looks like I had a better pivot this summer...some other jacked up stuff, though.

i tend to agree. was that Jack or you? :)

just curious, and please don't take it the wrong way, anyone for that matter,,,were you ever influenced by the stack and tilt way of golf? there seems to be a lot of centering around the left side, the way you swing now...

Last edited:
i tend to agree. was that Jack or you? :)

just curious, and please don't take it the wrong way, anyone for that matter,,,were you ever influenced by the stack and tilt way of golf? there seems to be a lot of centering around the left side, the way you swing now...

How'd you know :p

I mentioned it in an earlier thread. I probably could have stuck with it and pulled it off it I had understood more of the fundamentals of golf, but I gave up before that happened. Now I have an ugly hybrid love child!

ej20

New
Rugby,you have what I call a lazy right side.On the early part of your downswing,I can see too much of your right arm above the left.

Watch and study Nick Watney.Look at how low Nick's right arm is below his left half way into his downswing.

And I have picked this video as the camera angle is not too low as to exaggerate the low right arm.It is representative of what is happening.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GbIjLiWXTXw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GbIjLiWXTXw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It the clubface.

It is TOO OPEN AT THE TOP.

It is TOO OPEN halfway down.

To the original poster,

Please, just listen to Brian. You may not slice it, but your clubface IS wide open. Your flip at the bottom helps you to square up the face so you don't hit it miles right.

Learn how to keep the clubface more square (with some Twistaway... buy Never Slice Again), and you'll start doing all this pivot stuff more naturally. Until you fix the clubface, a lot of the suggested changes (which aren't necessarily wrong) will be a struggle.

Promise.

Brian was correct earlier as is holeout. You are getting better already. This is when you need patience and persistence!
Keep it up!!

Last edited:

ej20

New
Nicks right arm is well below the left and it hasn't released much at all.It is still at close to 90 degrees.

There are those that says the right arm should straighten from the top and I have plenty of videos to prove them wrong.

footwedge

Rugby,you have what I call a lazy right side.On the early part of your downswing,I can see too much of your right arm above the left.

Watch and study Nick Watney.Look at how low Nick's right arm is below his left half way into his downswing.

And I have picked this video as the camera angle is not too low as to exaggerate the low right arm.It is representative of what is happening.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GbIjLiWXTXw?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GbIjLiWXTXw?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Okay, if that's the effect what's the cause (why is his right side lazy?) Maybe it doesn't have to do anything as the arms and hands are in control from the get go and it's on auto pilot from there on. You could say his left side is lazy as it doesn't clear , no pulling from the front end, but why? His subconscious has learned a program that does not included a proper pivot action and it doesn't want to let go of it, yet.

He needs a Manzella intervention and i believe he's waiting for Brian to help him.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.