Fixing "Rugby" and other things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, if that's the effect what's the cause (why is his right side lazy?) Maybe it doesn't have to do anything as the arms and hands are in control from the get go and it's on auto pilot from there on. You could say his left side is lazy as it doesn't clear , no pulling from the front end, but why? His subconscious has learned a program that does not included a proper pivot action and it doesn't want to let go of it, yet.

He needs a Manzella intervention and i believe he's waiting for Brian to help him.

My hypothesis on your questions based on Rugby's current swing. Rugby's right side is not lazy, it is very active to square up an open clubface. Rugby's left side is "lazy", not clearing, to square up an open clubface.

Brian could fix this in 30 minutes or less.

footwedge

My hypothesis on your questions based on Rugby's current swing. Rugby's right side is not lazy, it is very active to square up an open clubface. Rugby's left side is "lazy", not clearing, to square up an open clubface.

Brian could fix this in 30 minutes or less.

I agree.

ej20

New
Okay, if that's the effect what's the cause (why is his right side lazy?) Maybe it doesn't have to do anything as the arms and hands are in control from the get go and it's on auto pilot from there on. You could say his left side is lazy as it doesn't clear , no pulling from the front end, but why? His subconscious has learned a program that does not included a proper pivot action and it doesn't want to let go of it, yet.

Lazy is simply not keeping pitch elbow late enough into the downswing and running out of right shoulder and arm ie.the right shoulder stops too early,losing pitch elbow too soon with the right arm too straight at impact.

As for the left side not pulling,it can't if the right side doesn't fire through the shot enough allowing enough width for the left side to get into full extension.

To get more pitch elbow the feel is to get the right elbow in front of the belly button on the downswing.You will find you will need much more activity in the right side to accomplish this.

To give an example of how bent the right arm is at impact for a good player look at this up close example of Hogan.You don't appreciate how bent the right should be at impact until you see it from this angle.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4DCZuAj5Mg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4DCZuAj5Mg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

So was I :p

So, aside from clubface on plane, what should my other focus be..pertaining to pivot/reverse pivot etc. I could really use some direction.

Keep working the twistaway--and use it all the way to follow through to get a more correct hand swivel. Then work on this:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xsQ8NB0eRAg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xsQ8NB0eRAg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

first in slow motion getting back on your right side early in the backswing, then utilizing the hip motion Micheal shows.

footwedge

Lazy is simply not keeping pitch elbow late enough into the downswing and running out of right shoulder and arm ie.the right shoulder stops too early,losing pitch elbow too soon with the right arm too straight at impact.

As for the left side not pulling,it can't if the right side doesn't fire through the shot enough allowing enough width for the left side to get into full extension.

To get more pitch elbow the feel is to get the right elbow in front of the belly button on the downswing.You will find you will need much more activity in the right side to accomplish this.

To give an example of how bent the right arm is at impact for a good player look at this up close example of Hogan.You don't appreciate how bent the right should be at impact until you see it from this angle.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4DCZuAj5Mg?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G4DCZuAj5Mg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Left side is in front and can for sure pull first and initiate the right to fire through. Unless your subconscious program isn't programmed to do this. It's kind of ironic that you use Hogan as an example as he himself said it had to be done with the left side initiating the action. For a R.H. player.

Last edited:

I'm not too sure about needing the right elbow bent a lot at impact. Someone would have to convince me that the more bent the better compared to say just a 10* bend in it--as long as all other parts are working well and obviously not completely extended before impact. I can understand where a more bent right elbow could be said to show the player is using their body pivot more, but I don't see where it could be indicative of say, more clubhead speed. I don't know maybe discussion for another thread.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brxuVLnqjiY[/media]

Last edited:

ej20

New
Left side is in front and can for sure pull first and initiate the right to fire through. Unless your subconscious program isn't programmed to do this. It's kind of ironic that you use Hogan as an example as he himself said it had to be done with the left side initiating the action.
Sure for some players pulling the left can fire the right enough but exactly how do you propose for someone running out of right arm to get more right arm?Pull harder with the left?

footwedge

Sure for some players pulling the left can fire the right enough but exactly how do you propose for someone running out of right arm to get more right arm?Pull harder with the left?

Use your pivot and quit trying to hit at the ball using the clubhead as its an object to be thrown off the shaft at the ball where the ball sits. I'm not suggesting the right side is dormant i believe it's part of a proper pivot, no.

ej20

New
Use your pivot and quit trying to hit at the ball using the clubhead as its an object to be thrown off the shaft at the ball where the ball sits. I'm not suggesting the right side is dormant i believe it's part of a proper pivot, no.

It's pretty easy to say use your pivot and don't hit the ball using the clubhead.If it were that easy everyone would be scratch.

You gotta at least give the player some suggestions on how to improve the pivot and how not to hit the ball with the clubhead.They may not work but I guarantee you even the best teacher in the world will not have a 1.0 batting average.

footwedge

It's pretty easy to say use your pivot and don't hit the ball using the clubhead.If it were that easy everyone would be scratch.

You gotta at least give the player some suggestions on how to improve the pivot and how not to hit the ball with the clubhead.They may not work but I guarantee you even the best teacher in the world will not have a 1.0 batting average.

You need to go back and read what i posted earlier i said as much that it's very difficult as he has input into his subconscious a program that does not include a proper pivot, and he needs a really good hands on instructor to help him overide that program using conscious thought and hands on retraining. How they do it is up to them. If just words were enough we would all be scratch.

Last edited:

ej20

New
I agree,a good hands on teacher like Brian would be the best but as this is a chat forum words and videos are the only things possible.

So was I :p

So, aside from clubface on plane, what should my other focus be..pertaining to pivot/reverse pivot etc. I could really use some direction.

I would caution you to not underestimate how critical the clubface is in your progress. Keep working on twistaway or any other way you choose to get the face square. If you do that, and own it, your pivot will begin to get better.

Last edited:
http://www.brianmanzella.com/forum/golfing-discussions/11947-perfect-pivot-articles.html

Check out the articles in this post, Rugby.

I had the same pivot issues as you do. This, along with the thought of making an immediate, full, sharp turn with the right hip in the backswing, helped me improve my pivot.

Be aware that when you do it right (start practicing in a mirror first, so you know what "right" feels like), you might feel so far behind the ball that you'll question it. Stay with it.

there is no doubt in my mind that brian is an outstanding teacher and that rugby will benefit from live lessons from him or his team. it goes without saying imo. if i win the lotto, you can count on me making arrangement for you rugby:)

what i don't understand is this assertion that if rugby takes care of his arm and hand issues, then the pivot issue will resolve itself.

isn't the arm and hand issues mostly specific to the down swing but the pivot is established prior to the down swing?

what i don't understand is this assertion that if rugby takes care of his arm and hand issues, then the pivot issue will resolve itself.

isn't the arm and hand issues mostly specific to the down swing but the pivot is established prior to the down swing?

The problem is he has a swing pivot pattern formed for squaring up an open clubface. The clubface is the root cause of the faulty pivot pattern. He can change the pivot pattern all he wants, but if still has an open clubface, his brain will still try and figure out a way to square the clubface. Since he hasn't discovered to square it up with twistaway on his own, it would likely result in more bad habits in the pivot, more bad shots and as he stated, probably to quit the game.

The problem is he has a swing pivot pattern formed for squaring up an open clubface. The clubface is the root cause of the faulty pivot pattern. He can change the pivot pattern all he wants, but if still has an open clubface, his brain will still try and figure out a way to square the clubface. Since he hasn't discovered to square it up with twistaway on his own, it would likely result in more bad habits in the pivot, more bad shots and as he stated, probably to quit the game.

respectfully, i see the other way around. his so called open face is very often observed in people with good pivots as well. in fact, if you look at his dtl, his face looks fine at the top and on the way down until later into impact. i am not sure his inability to square the face CAUSES his pivot problem. (to be clear, by pivot i am talking about the loading of his right side).

how about his pivot problem contributes to his inability to effectively square his face? :) if the weight shift to the left leg is compromised, shouldn't the face remain open as a result?

Status
Not open for further replies.