Fixing "Rugby" and other things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read Brian's Christmas poem... :)

Unfortunately I was 'just cutting the grass' about 4 inches behind the ball and would often thin shots (bail out of the shot through fear of fatting and generally flip my wrists in the process).

Fixed now.

softconsult...

I'm just a guy asking golf questions.

That's OK on a golf forum isn't it?

In reply to your questions: I'm not a PGA instructor, yes I know Brian has been teaching for a long time, I've spent the past 3or4 weeks as his No1 fan reading as much as I can (1000's of the forum pages) and watching as much 'Manzella video' as possible (websites & Youtube). He clearly has endless energy and enthusiasm!

I did find Brian's information on D-Plane very precise, informative and exceptionally interesting, the best I've seen infact.

However, in light of the fact that new information (trackman, D-Plane, slow motion video capture and the whole S&T thing) has come to light more recently it makes me want to ask questions.

I struggled for YEARS trying to hit down on the ball from the back foot, 15 years in fact, and got fed up of hitting fats/thins and that's why I'm surprised to see that it's still taught. i'd expect my local PGA pro to be obsolete in a few years if he continues to teach the same thing as he currently does when times are clearly changing.

As I said previously..
"I can't find many examples of good golfers who move their head 8" backwards in the takeaway, who 'stack' themselves over the right leg, who turn their shoulders flat (which necessitates an inconsistent lifting motion with the arms doesn't it?) or who play the ball off their front foot apart from with a driver."

Amateurs Yes, Professionals, No.

I have no qualms being shown otherwise.

Me.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1A51xD1TQmk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1A51xD1TQmk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

These wedge swings are kind of indicative of what I was trying to do tonight, open my hips and get my pivot going. I know I let some of the other stuff slide with these swings, namely the twistaway, but I was focusing a bit more on the proper sequence and pivot. I was hitting the ball like shit but the swing motion is encouraging.

Do you guys think I'm onto something with this video(in regards to sequence and pivot)?

First off, much better. Still a TINY bit of lean at the top but it's reaching an acceptable amount.

Second, the 4th swing in that video was probably the best one. Hands were ahead of the ball considerably with a flat left wrist and your head was still working to stay behind it. Great swing.

Lastly, I'm glad my "peek under it" idea is helping. Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
GolfHappy - Please understand that I was reacting to what you wrote.

Questions are good, but can you see how people might interpret this post of yours as,
what are the terms, obnoxious, know it all, shouting in caps, condescending. Worth pondering.

"Exactly which GOOD shot in golf is played with the face closed?

Love it that you then go on to say "I was making better contact than I was yesterday, but everything had a massive hook or draw on it,".... what did you expect?"

Ringer, no way your head moves 8 in. to the right on the b.s. Golfhappy is still looking.

That's because I am already set up with my head several inches back. Sometimes when I set up a little more over the ball then it does move back pretty severely. Everything else though I'm sure I meet the requirements.

footwedge

That's because I am already set up with my head several inches back. Sometimes when I set up a little more over the ball then it does move back pretty severely. Everything else though I'm sure I meet the requirements.

You better fix that....lol.:)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
moveandflat.jpg

Brian Manzella

Administrator
:)

I don't :(

In fact I don't understand much of it at all. I can't find many examples of good golfers who move their head 8" backwards in the takeaway, who 'stack' themselves over the right leg, who turn their shoulders flat (which necessitates an inconsistent lifting motion with the arms doesn't it?) or who play the ball off their front foot apart from with a driver.

The above pic is the best male golfer I teach and the best female golfer I teach.

They do EVERYTHING you say NOT to do.

BTW, they both play iron shots forward of "Rugby."

....if you combine this with a weightshift to the right foot then you've just made it practically impossible to get back consistently to a solid impact position.

According to who?

The two most important things, in relation to where the "club strikes the ground" is PLANE LINE relative to stance line, and HAND LOCATION just pre-impact.

That's according to me and a whole bunch of scientists.

I'm trying not to be destructive here

Sure you are.

Its ok, my brother. Lots of folks believe just as you do.

Embrace you beliefs!

I just don't get it as it seems to incorporate all the 'bad moves' that we've seen for the past 20years (the ones that caused a generation of slicers).

I was fixing slicers in 1983, and I cured the slice forever in about 1999.

Haven't had one since.

I did read a thread you posted Brian where you say something along the lines of you advocate certain moves within the stack&tilt method and yet I can't see which one(s) they might be? and I'd be very interested to know your opinion whether the whole 'Sean Foley phenonemon' will change the way people teach/learn to play golf?

Well, for some folks, a steep shoulder turn works wonders. For others, it is poison.

For some golfers, a flat backswing is great, for David and Lindsay above, horrible.

I like lots of hip turn and a straightening right leg for THOSE WHO NEED IT. I teach lots of folks that doing it would kill their games dead.

Sean is a good young teacher, wants to keep learning, and is doing a good job with Tiger.

But, when Tiger played better than anyone ever had—ie The Tiger Slam—hardly anyone copied it in "teacher land."

That's ok, white belts were in style before, and then they went out of style, and now they are back in style.

Just hang on to yours if they go back out of style. ;)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8V5dEb2w4F8?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8V5dEb2w4F8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3CXqvnXou0?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f3CXqvnXou0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vg6O8OFJi5g?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vg6O8OFJi5g?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Not too happy with the results tonight. Was struggling with backswing pivot, twist away and pivot. Need to get my torso through more so my hands can be farther forward. Ugggg. :( :( :( :(

footwedge

On the b.s. your right heel is lifting off the ground because of the way your right leg straightens backwards in a locked position and stays that way in the d.s. and this position makes using your pivot properly almost impossible as it is preventing a proper b.s. pivot and is affecting your ability to use the ground as your friend. JMO.

If you look closely at your right leg in the transition/ D.S. it looks like it's frozen stiff and is like a dead weight been dragged through impact. You need someone to help you hands on.

footwedge

Hmm. I guess you're right! I've never noticed that before.

It is hard to see, i believe that is a result of your right leg almost locking out and staying that way making it almost impossible to get pressure into the ground to initiate a proper pivot back and through. JMO.

footwedge

Make good sense.

Maybe a friend could help you with this and watch for this and tell you when you do it and then you can work out some kind of plan of attack to get the feel of that heel getting some pressure on the b.s. Telling you about this is easy but trying to change it might take some serious work, but i think it's worth it in the long run. Anyways your getting there, i know there's a ton of suggestions to sift through and it's not easy trying to figure all this out and then applying these things best of luck

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.