Fixing "Rugby" and other things....

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Need to get my torso through more so my hands can be farther forward. Ugggg. "

I suggest changing that swing thought. You need to, some how, learn to sequence the downswing movements so that the hips lead and stay ahead of the torso etc. Look at the very end of NeverHookAgain2 video.

"Need to get my torso through more so my hands can be farther forward. Ugggg. "

I suggest changing that swing thought. You need to, some how, learn to sequence the downswing movements so that the hips lead and stay ahead of the torso etc. Look at the very end of NeverHookAgain2 video.

Yah, that's effectively what I meant. Get the sequence down so that my hips are leading and open, torso follows, which lags the hands more. I'm having to flip my hands to square and get through because they are coming too soon.

I ran over the range for a bit this morning because I had nothing else to do. Leftfoot, I definitely focused on keeping my right heel down, it seemed to help. Hopefully I can knock that habit out in just one more practice session.

Brian, where do I want the weight on my feet throughout the swing? Not left and right, but front and back? I know you want the weight on the left heel towards the end, but how about the rest of the swing?

caveat...........i have next to no knoWLedge but

here is what i have learned to do

maybe not right........but works for me

kudos 2 softconsult.......put an old club on the ground and step on it with the outside

of your right foot...(softcon called it a wedge IT WORKS).........ok, now setup.......feel a bit of weight inside your left shoe

on the way back..(to me)....the weight goes to RIGHT HEEL....(softconsult tip) will keep

the weight balanced....feel the weight on the RIGHT HEEL...NOT FOR LONG...EXPLAINED AT END...............NOW

here is how i may differ....from B videos....i kinda hula to the right just a touch WITH LEFT HIP

the weight briefly goes to the middle of left foot.....and then on to my left heel

obtw.......when you take it back....if you can balANCE with your left foot in air????

START OVER....LEFT FOOT...UP...DOWN

PLS READ CAVEAT ABOVE

1 LAST THING....not bragging just saying.......i did break 100 doing this on every shot

aj

Last edited:
Geez........

The guy was a MASSIVE flipper without enough AXIS TILT or enough OPEN TORSO and the REASON WAS HIS CLUBFACE!!!!!!!

Now all those things that everyone would like him to do, he can get REWARDED FOR!!!!

Get it?

Please tell me you get it?

Amen Brother! Fix the face first. In my opinion, any information that is suggested before the clubface is relatively square at the end of backswing and beginning of downswing would be like trying to drink from a firehose turned on full blast.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
How can the face fix the b.s. pivot?

Good question!

Today I gave a lady member a half-hour lesson.

She is a low 80's golfer who had taken one lesson last year on her short game.

She has a weak grip, but not silly weak, and she opens the clubface 150° on the backswing.

She needed a one last point/slight wedding ring up mini-adjustment.

It changed her backswing a bunch. Deeper right shoulder, more inward hand path, less left lean.

I DID NOTHING TO HER BACKSWING.
ZERO.
ZILCH.

:)

S

SteveT

Good question!

Today I gave a lady member a half-hour lesson.

That was a masterful instructional change that produced instant results. Now, did you see any swing change you could teach this woman to further improve her game? You must have seen something.

Saw a commercial for one today and was wondering if anyone has tried it. Let us know how it works for you.

Tons of reviews/compliments of it on golfwrx. I'm gonna try it out in a bit here but I'm not totally sure what to do/focus on with it, besides the obvious.

Tons of reviews/compliments of it on golfwrx. I'm gonna try it out in a bit here but I'm not totally sure what to do/focus on with it, besides the obvious.

OK funny story, I get to the dome tonight - still not sure what to do with the pure ball striker aside from the obvious. I throw it on my wedge, that has a NDMC midsize grip with two wraps(fits my hand according to general guidelines). I swing for maybe a 40 yard pitch and the thing FLIES off down the range. I can't retrieve it until the range closes 2 hours later. :p:p:p

On another note, I struck the ball very, very well tonight. Probably the best I ever have. I had a wedge, 7i and 3w with me. Pured probably 90% of the 7is with minimal draw and roped probably 60% of the three wood. I was mostly focusing on AXIS TILT!!!! turning around my spine(brian's piano example), keeping the face on plane and taking what feels like to me a 50% backswing(100% for most people, (not leaning upper back toward target)). I hit probably 250 balls(maybe 100 with wedge) and my bum wrist felt great from all the pure contact. I'm very encouraged and my supremely high ball flight was far more manageable. I was even able to hit legitimate knock-downs! Something I haven't been able to do before.

I didn't video because it was too busy. We'll see what it shows tomorrow as well as whether or not I can translate this success to the longer irons.

Last edited:
Things went well today. I had a 3i, 7i, wedge, driver. I think I'm finally starting to groove this thing. I can also feel what I'm doing wrong when I screw up or can use the ball flight/shot type to figure it out.

3i was a test, but I'm not disappointed in it. I hit some good shots and didn't shank hardly any(I was worn out by this point). My misses were thin/fat but went straight, so that's good. I did hit some great shots with it.

Driver was awesome. Really effortless power when I swing correctly. Can't wait to break out the big stick in the spring and not have to worry about what I'm going to do with it. Straight and piercing ball flight every time, didn't mis hit a single one.

7i was good, real easy to tell with this club if I am doing what I should. If my upper back starts moving toward the target I wont pure it and the ball flight will go way up. If I maintain axis tilt and control the face it is much better.

Wedge was good, sometimes it's difficult to control accuracy wise. If something is off I'll pull it a couple yards. Usually just need to keep my front shoulder from opening with the axis tilt at address. I have been getting very good with general accuracy and hitting targets though.

Things are on the right track, I hit probably 300 balls today, probably 150 with the wedge. My body and wrist feel great, it's really effortless when you do things the right way.

Couldn't get video again, the place was swamped. Sometime soon, though.

Congrats Rugby. Question about your dome, how far out does it go? I was in Providence on business a while back and hit inside at a dome, but it was only 50 - 60 yds. Still nice, wished we had one down here.

It's about 70-80 yards. Long enough to see if your ball is gonna do what it's supposed to. If it's drawing too much by the time it gets to the end you're in trouble. Anything higher lofted than a 7i with a full swing and we hit the ceiling. Can take a 56* and pretty much do anything besides a full 115 yard swing.

ZAP

New
Can we have a moment of silence for our golf dome? It blew down in a storm and they never put it back up. It was good fun in the winter and they used it for indoor soccer in the summer. sigh.....

Can we have a moment of silence for our golf dome? It blew down in a storm and they never put it back up. It was good fun in the winter and they used it for indoor soccer in the summer. sigh.....

Ours collapsed under 30 inches of snow two weeks ago, lucky that it's a decent money maker and the city decided to prop it back up. Ours can make 2500-3500 dollars on a busy day.

braemar1.jpg

This picture is from the upper deck

No video today, place was swamped again. Things went well, I am going to be a lot better next summer if I can groove my putting. Haven't seen any video since I really started striping it consistently. Hopefully feel vs real doesn't shoot me in the foot ;)
What's encouraging is that my misses still get up in the air and go straight - they'll just lose distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.