FLW BRW through impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I worked very hard on holding this all the way through and past impact. I was hitting some of the most consistently on line shots of my life. I've done this several times before but not with this much success. However, my question relates to something I noticed this time that I've never had before while focusing on it.

I developed a blister right on the pad of my thumb. I wasn't getting it from my backswing or transition. The club was noticably having the most resistance on my thumb on the follow through.

So my question is, how do I go about avoiding this blister. I would like to pursue the feeling I had today vigorously, but the blister tells me I may be doing something off. Any ideas?

I was thinking I may not be swinging left enough, but when I do it either pulls or fades. Path isn't good when I try to swing left.

greenfree

Banned
I worked very hard on holding this all the way through and past impact. I was hitting some of the most consistently on line shots of my life. I've done this several times before but not with this much success. However, my question relates to something I noticed this time that I've never had before while focusing on it.

I developed a blister right on the pad of my thumb. I wasn't getting it from my backswing or transition. The club was noticably having the most resistance on my thumb on the follow through.

So my question is, how do I go about avoiding this blister. I would like to pursue the feeling I had today vigorously, but the blister tells me I may be doing something off. Any ideas?

I was thinking I may not be swinging left enough, but when I do it either pulls or fades. Path isn't good when I try to swing left.

This might be your answer. Not saying your flipping, but why else would you force the issue of flw and brw. Just maybe that blister is telling you something.

People flip due to incorrect creation and divertion of momentum.

Trying to not flip by concentrating on wrist positions is sheer lunacy. This is why a lot of TGM strikers have moronic wrist conditions into (but not exclusively) impact.

Last edited:
I'm not a flipper, I just tend to leave the face open. Emphasizing the FLW BRW through impact forces me to get my wrist facing the target.

That's nuts. I've been working on that for a month or so, and just last night, I noticed the start of a blister just below the right thumb "fingerprint" pad. Hitten it well too...:)

That's nuts. I've been working on that for a month or so, and just last night, I noticed the start of a blister just below the right thumb "fingerprint" pad. Hitten it well too...:)

Do you feel it during the follow through like I do? Or do you get it from the back half of the swing?

Honestly, Ring, I haven't noticed anything at all during the swing. Now that it's started and know it's there, maybe I will. Haven't had a blister anywhere in years, let alone there.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Where do you put the right thumb on the club? My "Hunch" is that it is in a place that is not secure and the force of the swing is making it move thus creating friction which leads to a blister.

I have taught and played with NSA A LOT and never received a blister or a callous in the areas you are talking about.

Where do you put the right thumb on the club? My "Hunch" is that it is in a place that is not secure and the force of the swing is making it move thus creating friction which leads to a blister.

I have taught and played with NSA A LOT and never received a blister or a callous in the areas you are talking about.

Right thumb is placed - best I can say is "standard" - with the right part of the thumb on the left side of the shaft.

Doing a living room check, the blister seems to be right where the right thumb is in contact with the left thumb.

I think you're right that the force through impact is causing friction there. I'm just going to try to firm up the area. Good news it's just the start of a blister/callous.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I used to think the flw brw was the holy Grail... To the point of looming like an idiot doing it. Massive upper body dive, couldn't hit anything lower than a 7 iron in the air, but... I didn't flip it! I wasn't that consistent either, steered it all over the place and for something that was supposed to provide clubface control, provided none. I also hit it nowhere with club moving the same speed as my hands. In good swings that doesn't happen, at some point the clubhead should move faster than the hands....creating speed.

In short, I way over did it. When I hit it the best I feel like I am just throwing it away flipping at it, but video shows different. I really feel the difference between a flipper and a ball striker, in a lot of cases, is just a better pivot.

You can still FLW BRW and release the club. It just means swinging more left and letting the forearms roll. I have no problems getting the ball airborn but that's probably because I don't tilt forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.