Golf and general sports coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is coverage of any other sport as bad as that to which we are subjected watching golf?

Watching the US golf from the UK is a dire experience if you are not able to use a soon-to-be-worn out fast forward button. Whilst the US coverage seemingly inexplicably moves from one channel to another or is delayed by a late finishing basketball game or whatever, we have three guys sitting around chatting about the golf. Ex-pros, the odd coach in, nothing against any of them personally, but they end up talking drivel.

One particular coach they have in for the swing analysis is dreadful. But is a little knowledge a dangerous thing? Is this what the golfing masses want to hear about? Can't see how stuff like this can help, other than by perpetuating old school thought and keeping the lesson coffers brimming.

The golf itself is a lot of putting, a lot of time spent on two or three groups even on Thursday and Friday and, dare I say it, pretty dull even with the odd SwingVision or BallTracer.

The European Tour coverage is better. A couple of good on-course guys, the odd trip to the range, better chat from the booth. Still not great though.

The coverage we have from the BBC I enjoy. More knowledge in the chat, some good on-course stuff, no adverts, and they don't just show one or two groups putting. Pretty much stay away from swing analysis. Sadly, they are losing all of their tournaments to the guys with all the cash.

I also watch formla one and, although they are sometimes held hostage to local producers deciding to show the local hero too much, the overall coverage is far superior, in my opinion. Now I admit I do not know as much about F1 as I know about golf, but they just do more interesting things. Before a race is about to start when hundreds of people are milling around on the grid, they have an ex-driver roaming around nabbing people for interviews. Even drivers about to be subjected to a gruelling race, he shoves a microphone in their face and asks them about the first corner. He asks mechanics about tyres, technical guys about down-force, all really probing stuff. Then the chat during the race itself can get really technical. What is golf afraid of?

Racing cars are exciting, yes, but I even prefer cricket coverage to golf. It is funny, for a start. They are also not afraid of shying away from the more technical aspects of the game, and there is a lot of credible discussion on strategy and the like.

You will always get a smart-alec, 'wouldn't have done that in my day' guy, but I don't mind that (unless it is one particular rugby commentator who is shockingly partisan) so much. It is more concerning that we are subjected to dummed-down one-dimensional dirge.

So how will I change golf coverage when I am Emperor of the World? Strategy is one area that isn't touched on enough, but this is probably more to do with the pervasive strategy in most of professional golf nowadays being 'Hit driver'. Even when there is a rare strategy hole, would be good to see more scatter-chart-things of where people have made the birdies or bogeys from, some statistics, and better on-course coverage showing what the second shots would look like from the ground for the different options.

Definitely some more stuff from the range. I can't see why they can't talk to more players, coaches, caddies and whoever! More nosing through bags, asking coaches what someone is working on, what they are trying to do or whatever. Would love to see more of that.

I would also love to say more swing analysis, but you only have to spend a short time browsing YouTube to see how many people have varying opinions and realise this is a bit of a mine-field. Saying that, what is wrong with pointing out a few key features from an individiual swing without trying to say why one shot or another happened? If you have a weak grip like such and such, you might want to try this, for example. As well as just documenting how the tournament works out, there could be a lot more interest and value from the coverage for the fans.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If I was a Tour player I would never tell a TV guy what I'm working on. I think that's why you get such lame answers like alignment or balance. It's like asking an NFL coach what plays he's going to run.

Golf is no doubt very expensive to cover compared to events which happen over a smaller area.

Those auld blawhards on Sky are not too bad in my opinion and that bird that does the presenting is not too harsh on eye, but I agree that guy SH is full of sheat and DP's swing analysis is so laughable it's painful to watch. These coaches should be put out to pasture, but they just keep on cropping up, no doubt relying on their contacts. And they're probably accomplished ALs.

The networks that cover golf have made it all about the stars. Mostly Tiger, Phil and now Rory. When one or more of them is in contention, the coverage is just poor. In the weeks where none of them are in contention the coverage is horrific. The pre game coverage using mediocre former players, (Chamblee, Rymer) that have no teaching experience, and posing them as the experts of the game is a joke. The mute button is the way to go.

"The coverage we have from the BBC I enjoy. More knowledge in the chat, some good on-course stuff, no adverts, and they don't just show one or two groups putting." That is gov't tv, no worries about advertising revenue. Why do european players move to the States to play our tour. More money which comes from? Advertising.

I was at a party Saturday night. Sat next to an out of town visitor from Tampa. He is a local news anchor, with 35 years in the business. I learned a lot about what he actually does in front of the camera and behind the scenes. Not what I thought. The skill set to be a on-the air talking head on the Golf Channel simply may not exist in the real experts. Think about the woman that shows up on the Golf Academy with Martin Hall. She's got the boob job, the body, a golf swing, and little else, but guys tune it.

The only way I watch a golf tournament is after the fact from DVR.

"The coverage we have from the BBC I enjoy. More knowledge in the chat, some good on-course stuff, no adverts, and they don't just show one or two groups putting." That is gov't tv, no worries about advertising revenue. Why do european players move to the States to play our tour. More money which comes from? Advertising.

I was at a party Saturday night. Sat next to an out of town visitor from Tampa. He is a local news anchor, with 35 years in the business. I learned a lot about what he actually does in front of the camera and behind the scenes. Not what I thought. The skill set to be a on-the air talking head on the Golf Channel simply may not exist in the real experts. Think about the woman that shows up on the Golf Academy with Martin Hall. She's got the boob job, the body, a golf swing, and little else, but guys tune it.

The only way I watch a golf tournament is after the fact from DVR.

I admit I only watch Martin Hall to look at Holly.

As far as golf coverage goes, this first image leads to the second...

bermanmoustache.jpg
ar122727810409171.jpg

IMHO the commentators at Sky are a bit more clued up then the US commentators but yes I agree, they have to fill in a lot of gaps (advert breaks in the US coverage etc).

Before I got Sky I had to watch the summary on a Monday evening. You had the feeling the pros where only carrying one club - the putter. There is still too much of that in normal coverage as well.

Btw. Wulsy, Sky doesn't have DS anymore. The blond lady they have now looks to artificial. I doubt her hair would move at all in a gale storm.

I like the Masters coverage by the BBC has you have multiple 'channels'. The normal coverage, one or two 'feature' groups where they just show that particular group and 'Amen corner' coverage where you get to see everyone moving through Amen corner.

Filthy lucre will definitely play a major role. Hence, I think the BBC now has The Open, two days of The Masters with some interactive coverage and... that is about it. Love Amen Corner on the interactive or online. You get to see so many more players than they would show on the actual coverage, but that is all our tax can pay for.

Ron Burgundy! :D

Would definitely watch more if it was...

Golf is a sport than should be covered with a 5 minute TV delay and a great producer. More full shots,less putting and show more player shots. Too much wasted TV time watching players read putts, fiddle, and just poor camera angle shots. And next week somebody count how many 2 foot putts we get to watch. And the biggest gripe I have is the PGA tour not co-operating with TV tee times for the stars Thurs and Friday. What can be more stupid than tuning Thurs or Friday and TV Announcers telling us that Tiger. Rory,and Phil are done with their rounds and will not be a part of the TV coverage.

hp12c

New
I agree on the talking heads yapping while the camera is on them, talk all you want but put the golf images on the tv and yup too many putts not enough swings.

Here's my wishlist:

1. Shot Tracker technology...we need to be able to follow the ball through the air and for it to have some relevance to the target. Think frame of reference.
2. Players interviewed in between shots.
3. Caddies interviewed in between shots.
4. Caddies and golfers miked up (so that we can listen to their decision making).
5. Club and ball data.
6. Players allowed GPS distance measuring devices to facilitate faster play.
7. 'What's in the bag' interviews/commentaries on the practice range.
8. Swing analysis...especially more comparisons of Player A to Player B.
9. Let Dariusz determine the length of the rough.
10. Less putting

If I was a Tour player I would never tell a TV guy what I'm working on. I think that's why you get such lame answers like alignment or balance. It's like asking an NFL coach what plays he's going to run.

I don't this it's the same as asking an NFL coach what plays he's going to run. How can another golfer take advantage of knowing what another player is working on?

Interviews between shots isn't for serious competition. Miked up would be OK. We could have a new stat. Most f-bombs per round.

ZAP

New
Here's my wishlist:

1. Shot Tracker technology...we need to be able to follow the ball through the air and for it to have some relevance to the target. Think frame of reference.
2. Players interviewed in between shots.
3. Caddies interviewed in between shots.
4. Caddies and golfers miked up (so that we can listen to their decision making).
5. Club and ball data.
6. Players allowed GPS distance measuring devices to facilitate faster play.
7. 'What's in the bag' interviews/commentaries on the practice range.
8. Swing analysis...especially more comparisons of Player A to Player B.
9. Let Dariusz determine the length of the rough.
10. Less putting

I like number 4 and 9.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
2, 3 and 4 will never happen. This isn't Playing Lessons From the pros. Why don't we interview Tom Brady in between snaps so we can ask what play is going in next? I can see why fans would like this but it would be a nightmare for players except in those silly made for TV events.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I don't this it's the same as asking an NFL coach what plays he's going to run. How can another golfer take advantage of knowing what another player is working on?

Geoff, really??? I would love to know what some guys are really working on to see if I can apply it to my own game.

dbl

New
Golf is a sport than should be covered with a 5 minute TV delay and a great producer. More full shots,less putting and show more player shots. Too much wasted TV time watching players read putts, fiddle, and just poor camera angle shots. And next week somebody count how many 2 foot putts we get to watch.

I agree very much with this part. Of course, for them the simpler it is the better: real time, with poor choice of what action might be suitable, and too much time on the greens...it's easier...

And the US coverage has every announcer build the drama on the "birdie putt" from 15 or 20 or 30 feet..when odds are it will be a miss. Makes them look like simpletons. I remember a time (this year) when an announcer forgot to make the dramatic pre-birdie call (for a miss) and another announcer jumped in to to do it with the ball 1/3 of the way there. Would be funny, if not so pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.