Golf and general sports coverage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geoff, really??? I would love to know what some guys are really working on to see if I can apply it to my own game.

...and there would a be a 50% chance that what i am working on for my game is either irrelevant or detrimental to your swing. I

f Tiger makes a statement that he is working on X, Y and Z, how many PGA Tour players would decide that they they too need to work on X, Y and Z. I can see the average punter at the driving range adopting Tiger's points of emphasis, but not his contemporaries on the tour.

2, 3 and 4 will never happen.

I would describe it as unlikely and would require seismic events to make it happen (i.e. drop in TV ratings). It would require some consideration around protocols. Asking questions right after they put one in the trees or three-putted will be problematic.

...a 20-30 second soundbyte as a players walks down the fairway does not seem to be an unreasonable interruption/distraction...a quick reflection on nailing that 40 foot birdie putt...I think it would make for great TV and not distract the players from their craft.

Can a caddie clean a club and provide some coherent statements that reflect on the club selection process and shot making strategy just utilised? I think most could manage both. Caddies are not exactly overworked from the time they leave the tee box until they get near the ball...that's about a 250m walk in most instances.

Last edited:
I would describe it as unlikely and would require seismic events to make it happen (i.e. drop in TV ratings). It would require some consideration around protocols. Asking questions right after they put one in the trees or three-putted will be problematic.

...a 20-30 second soundbyte as a players walks down the fairway does not seem to be an unreasonable interruption/distraction...a quick reflection on nailing that 40 foot birdie putt...I think it would make for great TV and not distract the players from their craft.

Can a caddie clean a club and provide some coherent statements that reflect on the club selection process and shot making strategy just utilised? I think most could manage both. Caddies are not exactly overworked from the time they leave the tee box until they get near the ball...that's about a 250m walk in most instances.

I never thought I'd say this, but i'd rather listen to Chris Berman talk during the 250m walk that you're talking about. Most of these guys are probably just checking out the women in the gallery or thinking about what their going to do when the round is over.

...so if the size of their paycheck gets compromised by a fall in TV ratings, they might have to work a bit harder and keep their minds on the job Producers/on-course commentators will soon learn which caddies can talk and which ones can't.

jimmyt

New
I usually like the honesty of Johhny Miller, I mean you have to tolerate his back in the day attitude and his inability to help anyexplain what is actually going on with the golf swing today. As I said I usually like him......well he finally crossed the line during Saturdays telecast when he compared Geoff Ogilvy chipping technique to that of a "HACK". He indicated that he lifted up into impact on chips like he was a hacker. Thought he actually used the words hack or something close.

With all the things that have come out of his mouth over the years I'm surprised and looking for a reason as to why that comment is so out of line in my book.

Anyone else hear the comment and would like to clear it up for me.

I didn't hear the comment, but I know when I think of a hacker I think of someone who hacks the leading edge into the ground somewhere near the ball as they attempt to hit more down on it. I would never call someone who's a little more 'handsy' that nips them clean a hack, what would they even be hacking at? He must've let this gem out before the hole-out. I love how they always have tips for taking spin off the ball but never tips for adding height and spin to the short game shots. Maybe Ogilvy could give them some pointers or explain to them that he isn't a 'hack' but rather prefers to chip 'his way'.

JMiller didn't have to play on greens this firm and fast, a lot of the old timers didn't... Some of their chipping method(s) would be antiquated on many of the Tour setups these days.

jimmyt

New
He may not have used the word hack, but he did refer to his style as a high handicap move.... like he was scooping to add loft, lifting up at impact and kind of chicken winging it. And yes it was before the hole out which was on Sunday. This gem came out of his mouth on Saturday.

Maybe Ogilvy is twisting the face open or closed during impact around the green, and that's why it looks so flippy on video. Surely jMiller could understand this since he did it all the time back in the day, only at much higher speeds of course.

Too many other reasons high handicappers are what they are to single them out for scoopy pitches and chips IMO, sometimes that can actually be the best part of their game. A week or two ago I saw Gmcdowell hit a pitch shot so flippy and chicken winged in the finish that he could have easily stuck both hands and the grip end into his left front pocket in the follow through. Shot turned out decent and I have to assume he liked it bc with what he had left of the follow through he still gave it a lil twirl.

It would be interesting to know who Jmillers favorite short game players are nowadays. Unfortunately, he doesn't speak in someone's favor as often as he could.

He was a GREAT player, there for entertainment ONLY.

After Ogilvy's holeout Miller acknowledged that he had reproached him for his chipping style but left it at that. The viewer would have to decide if the holeout stroke was the same or different. Most adroit!:D

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
A hack who scoops under it has held on the the club just a bit too long and backed it up under trying to yip it and it looks scoopy and flippy. Ogilvy's technique is sublime in the short game, always releasing the club at a beautiful rate.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think Ogilvy has one of the best chipping motions out there. I usually love the candor of Johnny Miller but this year he has said things that are flat out either untrue or a complete misinterpretation.

To compare Ogilvy to a hack in regards to chipping is simply silly.

I love Ogily's chipping. If Lee W had an ounce of his feel around the green he would have won so much more. Bohney M probably like Westy's technique. JJ

jimmyt

New
I think Ogilvy has one of the best chipping motions out there. I usually love the candor of Johnny Miller but this year he has said things that are flat out either untrue or a complete misinterpretation.

To compare Ogilvy to a hack in regards to chipping is simply silly.

I have always loved JM as well, that's why I posted as I did.
He must be getting old and becoming a grouchy old man.

Wow! Yesterday on the Doral coverage from Sky in the UK they went down onto the range! They been reading BM dat com?

Status
Not open for further replies.