Golf Channel: On the Range

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched 5 minutes. That friends, is why most golfers never get better.

If you tie that to what you hear from folks on tournament telecasts, infomercials and read in magazines, it all adds up to nothing. Most people cannot differentiate between poor information and quality information when it comes to golf. Heck, this is the most informative website in golfing history and we will still have folks say two totally different things.

There is no way to solve this other to be your own expert. Guiney pig, practice and know enough to decipher this steady stream of crap or you will toil forever on the golf swing carousel of hell.

Last edited:
The analysis of Mahan and Foley's teaching in comparison to Nelson. Horrible camera angles and two completely different takes on what was going on.

ZAP

New
When i saw that they were going to do this show I thought it might be cool. It is interesting to see what things tour pros do to get ready to play. I thought there would be a lot more interviews with players and such. No. They show a guy hit a few shots and then cut to the studio where whoever that is explains what was happening.

Seems like they took what could be a good show and turned it into crud.

Did anyone see the golf channel showing Foley and Mahan?
They had this guy in a dark blue shirt commenting on what Foley was doing with Mahan. Gary Players son was also there. The guy in the blue shirt kinda took over and said Mahan hits his long irons poorly because his aoa is not steep enough and hes hitting a glancing blow and failing to compress the ball? He said if he straightened his right arm through the ball he could reach max power which may be true but I thought Mahan's pattern kinda dictates a 'straightening' but not yet straight right arm at impact. The blue shirt guy had them show Mahan's address and referred to it as impact WTF.
Player's son was kind of taken aback you could tell he wanted to tell that guy he was so wrong but he maintained composure.
Who is that blue shirt guy? HE STINKS! He says Hunter needs deeper hands?
What is going on at golf channel?
Blue shirt guy said Foley wants Hunter to have perfectly square shoulders to target line and both arms straight at impact????Fire that clown I would rather listen to Players son at least he has style.

I was watching as well. I couldn't take much more than about 5 minutes. They are awful and to think of all the people who are watching and will go and try it. Sad :(

Just watched a few minutes of it with the topic being the importance of good wedge play. They showed Ogilvy and Tiger hitting 3/4 and full wedge shots and not ONE divot was taken in the vids shown yet there was no mention of that aspect at all. The analyzers seemed to be more interested in propping up Foley.

It really COULD be an interesting show on TGC.

... There is no way to solve this other to be your own expert...

For me this is easy, I believe Brian and Michael as the experts. I may listen to the others, but if I have any questions or uncertainty, or just want to know what to do, I come back to them and simply watch their videos or visit to their forums.

Ed

Who dresses Gary?
Great call, ms1170. I think it must be Gary's buddy in the morning: that Eric Kuselias fellow. Have you ever seen a pair of eyes more dead than his? Like Robert Shaw said about the shark in "Jaws"
"He's got doll's eyes" .......Good presenter, though. And M/s McMurry can smarten up any show, even a show with wanky teaching.

Last edited:
The guy with Wayne Player is Billy Kratzert. He's a 60 something year old pro turned tv announcer. He may not know the science of the golf swing but he could play. He won 4 times on the PGA tour. I wonder if SteveT could explain how he did that? I guess he would have been really good if he knew what he was doing. :rolleyes:

HMMM Billy K IMO had poor analysis but what was worse was he cut Player off and didn't let him bring hs perspective and this detracted from the quality of the broadcast.
It might be kinda sad to say but some folks are not cut out for commentary and it has nothing to do with golf science.
I am sure he was a great player but IMO his analysis was the opposite of accurate.

What is worse than the analysis, is that Foley and Mahan were actually working on a straight right arm at impact. Supposedly, Kratzert spoke with Foley over the phone this morning and this was discussed. That's why Kratzert was so adamant about what was going on.

dbl

New
Kratzert does the voice over on all the slow mo golf swings on PGA Tour website, and it is terribly pathetic.

OK - so one of the things I mentioned related to the "On The Range" segment was the lack of PW divots taken by Tiger during the practice session they showed. I catch some of today's TW highlight package and you'd have thought that Lee Trevino was hitting his wedge shots..... beaver pelts were flying all over the place!

What am I missing here? Is it that he can't take the wedge range swing to the course, he actually DOESN'T want to get real shallow with the wedge, the course conditions were significantly different than the range area, or it's the shot he's trying to hit? Seems like if you were picking on the range you could/would pick it on the course?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Tiger routinely goes through the entire bag without taking a divot while practicing on the range, he even did this at Stanford. Something about working on depth. His divots seem to have gotten bigger in the last year or so.

Bill doesn't need to give lessons to be able to comment on the golf swing. His father was a club pro, he won multiple times on tour and has been covering events on TV for many years. That should be enough, but sadly he's not able to communicate very well what he has learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.